Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engagement rings off amazon?? please help!!

Options
  • 13-11-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hey everybody......

ok so i am starting a hunt for an amazing engagement ring on a budget i have been told amazon is meant to be good but i have had no real life reviews! although the rings look amazing from amazon.

i dont know where to begin as most of my local jewellers have crazy prices! im really thinking between 500-1500! i wouldnt mind an antique ring or second hand! i would prefer either all diamonds or perhaps diamonds and purple amethyst or someting pink.

has anybody ever bought any rings from amazon or other places like amazon? i would just mainly be worried on the delivery and the standard of the ring.

or has anybody any suggestions? please help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Jewellers should have rings to that budget.
    From a friend who got a ring on Amazon, the ring itself was really lovely. However, they cancelled his account shortly afterwards as they considered him a "risk". This may have had to do with the ratio of his purchase values and number of previous returns. He didn't really find out why, so just be careful.
    Other boards members have also suggested Antwerp, Voltaires in Dublin and Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Does it have to be real diamonds? If you're willing to compromise on that you'll be able to get yourself a ring that looks great without the price tag (and the worrying about losing it).

When you've gone to the jewellers, have you just looked in the window or actually spoken to them? If you go in and tell them your budget they should be able to sort something out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Would you consider going to a pawnbroker? Or a secondhand seller (I have never bought online but I know there is a scottish one with lovely looking rings)...
    You will often save a fortune by buying secondhand, plus IMHO you are not contributing to mining for resources which are available recycled or secondhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Personally I would steer clear from Amazon for an engagement ring - why can't you go to a jewellers? Since when does a budget of 500-1500 mean that no jeweller would have a ring in that price point? 1500 is lots, you will defo get something for that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mine is amethyst and diamonds, and is within that budget.

I got it in Dublin, pm me if you want the name of the shop.

Also 1500e is loads, you would have no problem getting a ring for that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I know the exchange rate isn't great at the moment but if you're in London have a browse in Hatton Garden. Got my other half's ring there this summer and saw loads of nice rings within your budget. You'll get a better price than at a high street jeweler as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Dancor wrote: »

If you like bluenile I'd also recommend James Allen. That site has the added bonus of being able to view what the diamond looks like so you can see any flaws or inclusions. That means you can get something like a cheaper SI2 diamond but pick one where an inclusion can be hidden by a prong.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mushypeas90

@ gatica yea i have looked on ebay also it seems to have most of the same sellers as amazon... i also dont know if i will have to pay tax/duty if iget one from those site.

@vojera i would prefer real diamonds, and i have been looking around a few windows and a few vintage shops we are going into the north tomorrow to see whats on offer there(im from donegal so its easy too scoot across)

@evilmonkey i would def go down the secondhand route it doesnt bother me as long as i love the ring ha would you have a link to this scottish place?thanks

@tinkerbell i would say i would get a ring in a jewellers with that budget but it would be more than likely at the higher end of it. and it is so soo tempting when you see such a lovely ring online i just thought i would ask for a few reviews and any alternatives be4 i go to an actual jeweller .

@irishbird this is the amethyst one i am in love with, but i would be apprehensive about buying from this company so anything similar would be amazing! http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/14k-White-Gold-1-2ct-Diamond-Amethyst-Ring/2300167/product.html

@jonnyfingers i dont think i will be going to london anytime soon but think we are going to try a few places in the north. also thankks for the link i will be checking that place out, have you bought from ther?

@dancor i will have a look thanks for the link, have you ever used the website? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I bought off Amazon, got a great deal on a ring, came from diamondmanufacturers.co .uk couldn't recommend them enough.
    http://www.diamondmanufacturers.co.uk/rings/14.html
    That same ring but .3 carat diamond.
    Got it on amazon for under €600 delivered :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a very good jeweller who advertises on adverts.ie, he is worth talking to.
    We ended up drawing a picture of what we wanted and telling him the specs and our budget.
    I love my rings:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mushypeas90

@niallam that ring is really lovely! i will check out that link thanks :)

@moonbeam i have been keeping an eye on adverts but i really have to have a good look on it i have seen some lovely ones in the past but its only now that im really starting to look. thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

@dancor i will have a look thanks for the link, have you ever used the website? thanks

Might do, soon ;)

@evilmonkey i would def go down the secondhand route it doesnt bother me as long as i love the ring ha would you have a link to this scottish place?thanks

http://www.scottishgoldjewellery.co.uk/secondhand/

I have never bought from them but they are helpful to deal with and will arrange viewing by webcam (the ring I wanted was too large and the setting did not suit resizing :()

Also, AFAIK once you buy the rings within EU there is no extra tax on the ring.
    "In general, you have to pay VAT and import duty on any goods you are bringing into Ireland from outside the EU. This includes goods purchased online and by mail order. You will have to pay VAT at the same rate as applies in Ireland for similar goods.
    Within the EU, VAT is usually paid in the Member State you purchased the goods, however, there are some exceptions " - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/value_added_tax.html

@jonnyfingers i dont think i will be going to london anytime soon but think we are going to try a few places in the north. also thankks for the link i will be checking that place out, have you bought from ther?

I haven't bought from James Allen but I came across it when researching rings and I found the website http://www.truthaboutdiamonds.com.

It's a site run by a Jewish guy who used to be in the diamond business in the states but lives in Israel now I think. It has some good articles that shows what's really important in a diamond and how to get good value. He offers a good service where if you tell him your budget and the type of diamond you're looking for he'll go and find a few good options on jamesallen.com for you. As they have high quality pictures of the diamond you can see for yourself what they are like. If you're happy with his suggestion you can choose to use an affiliate code when you buy the ring which gives him a small payout from James Allen. This is optional but most people do it as it doesn't cost them anything.

I would have used him if I was buying the ring myself, however I opted to use a token ring for the proposal and took herself shopping in Hatton Garden for the proper ring.

Probably won't suit what you're looking for but might be an option for somebody else reading this thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

that ring is similar to mine.

there is a not great photo of mine, halfway down this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81652784&postcount=1

irishbird wrote: »
    that ring is similar to mine.

there is a not great photo of mine, halfway down this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81652784&postcount=1

And as an added bonus... the kebabs look delicious!:D

Advertisement