Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merseyside Reds and Manchester Reds combined

• 13-11-2012 6:19pm
    Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

If Liverpool and Manchester United's teams were combined what would the best starting XI be?

For me I'd have the following;

Reina
    Rafael---Vidic----Agger----Johnson
    Lucas----Scholes
    Valencia
    Young
    Suarez----RVP

A nice mix I feel, five from Liverpool and six from United.

Players unlucky to miss out would be Allen, Gerrard, Rooney, Smalling, De Gea and Sterling.

What's your opinion?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

in before lock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

We had this before, it didn't end well. If this thread doesn't stay 100% civil it will be shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

5 from Liverpool:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

No way Saurez plays and Rooney doesn't. Either play 3 up front or bench Suarez. Rest seems fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ares wrote: »
    If Liverpool and Manchester United's teams were combined what would the best starting XI be?

For me I'd have the following;

Reina
    Lucas----Scholes
    Valencia
    Young
    Suarez----RVP

A nice mix I feel, five from Liverpool and six from United.

Players unlucky to miss out would be Allen, Gerrard, Rooney, Smalling, De Gea and Sterling.

What's your opinion?

Reina has been poor this year. Evra is finding his old form. Lucas didnt kick a ball in i dont know how long. Suarez is in a good run of form but not in the same class as Rooney. Maybe 1 or 2 Liverpool players would get in the team but why are you comparing United and Liverpool. Liverpool are a mid table team and their is no way 5 of their players would start for United. Why not compare United and Chelsea teams who are around the same level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

de gea
    johnson.vidic --- rio
    enrique
    ........... fletcher gerrard
    ..............anderson.........................
    suarez.......................rooney
    ...................RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Liverpool haven't finished in the top 4 for how many years now?

United are challenging for the league and in Europe every year, so I would take whatever their starting XI is and leave the pool lads where they are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Reina has been poor this year. Evra is finding his old form. Lucas didnt kick a ball in i dont know how long. Suarez is in a good run of form but not in the same class as Rooney. Maybe 1 or 2 Liverpool players would get in the team but why are you comparing United and Liverpool. Liverpool are a mid table team and their is no way 5 of their players would start for United. Why not compare United and Chelsea teams who are around the same level.

Chelsea came 6th last season, does that not make them a mid table team according to some of the logic on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

de gea
    rafael--vidic--rio--evra
    fletcher-anderson-carrick
    rooney
    ---RVP----Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

De gea
    Rafael---Vidic----Rio----Evra
    Lucas----Sahin

Rooney
    Valenca----RVP
    Suarez

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

niallo27 wrote: »
    Chelsea came 6th last season, does that not make them a mid table team according to some of the logic on here.

They've invested in some serious quality since the end of last season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

5 from Liverpool:D

Ah go on, contribute properly if you're going to post. Which of the 5 do you think wouldn't get into the United team? What's your 11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

de Gea
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Agger----Johnson
    Allen
    Lucas
    Valencia
    Rooney
    Suarez
    van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

nuxxx wrote: »

de gea
    johnson.vidic --- rio
    enrique
    ........... fletcher gerrard
    ..............anderson.........................
    suarez.......................rooney
    ...................RVP
    Enrique and Gerrard struggle to make Liverpools starting 11 never mind a combination of both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Blatter wrote: »

de Gea
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Agger----Johnson
    Allen
    Lucas
    Valencia
    Rooney
    Suarez
    van Persie

Nail on the head imo. Close thread :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i cant see where any Liverpool players would fit into the United team, so i dont think theres any point to this debate.

Suarez is the only player who would get a game at United, based on current standings, form and everything else and even at that, RVP and Hernandez are better goal scorers than him, Rooney just has to be included also, so i cant see where he would fit in. Gerrard is having an awful season, as is Reina, Agger is not exactly on fire either.

right back is Uniteds weekest position at the moment, so maybe Johnson would fit in there, but again, thats a stretch.

Lucas fit would get a game at united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A more appropriate thread would have been if both Merseyside clubs combined what would the starting 11 be, between Everton and Liverpool

Liverpool are far inferior to United at the moment.. Suarez and Lucas the only players who would get a look in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

De Gea
    Raf
    Vidic
    Agger
    Evra
    Sahin

Kagawa
    Cleverly

Rooney

Rvp
    Suarez----

I think this is probably the best 11 but Suarez and Agger could easily be dropped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DONI
    Lucas----Allen

Rooney
    Valencia----RVP
    Suarez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

wow, so many United defenders. Considering they have conceded the same amount of goals as Liverpool, and Liverpool are considered to be having a pretty shocking year in that department it's pretty comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

i cant see where any Liverpool players would fit into the United team, so i dont think theres any point to this debate.

Suarez is the only player who would get a game at United, based on current standings, form and everything else and even at that, RVP and Hernandez are better goal scorers than him, Rooney just has to be included also, so i cant see where he would fit in. Gerrard is having an awful season, as is Reina, Agger is not exactly on fire either.

right back is Uniteds weekest position at the moment, so maybe Johnson would fit in there, but again, thats a stretch.

HAS to be included? On current form, and indeed on form over the past 2 seasons or so, there's no way he would be. Hernandez and RVP a better bet for United than Rooney at the mo surely. And none of them would keep Suarez out on current form.

mosstin wrote: »
    HAS to be included? On current form, and indeed on form over the past 2 seasons or so, there's no way he would be. Hernandez and RVP a better bet for United than Rooney at the mo surely. And none of them would keep Suarez out on current form.

Rooney has out scored both suarez and hernandez in the period

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

de Gea
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Agger----Johnson
    Allen
    Lucas
    Valencia
    Rooney
    Suarez
    van Persie

Me instead of Allen and I agree.

Doni for De Gea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

mosstin wrote: »

First of all, Rooney scored had his most productive season ever last year and the second half of the previous season he was the main reason Utd won the league.

Finally you are surely joking about RVP not being able to keep Suarez out on current form? Van Persie is in the top 3 strikers in the world and the nest player in the league, Suarez is quite a bit from that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

nuxxx wrote: »
    --- rio
    ----Rio
    scudzilla wrote: »
    --rio--

Can't understand how Rio Ferdinand is anywhere near a combined team. He shouldn't be anywhere near United's team nevermind a combined team. I'd take Vidic, Evans, Agger and Skrtel before him any day of the week.

The same can be said for Ashley Young. Surprised to see him mentioned. Sterling has been much, much better even after a poor showing last week.

Also, Rooney and Suarez wouldn't make my starting team. RVP and Hernandez are the form players and will score more goals.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Kirby wrote: »
    Also, Rooney and Suarez wouldn't make my starting team. RVP and Hernandez are the form players and will score more goals.

Ya, Suarez has no form with only 11 goals so far this season, 8 in the league in a team that score about as well as a spotty 17 year old.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Can't understand how Rio Ferdinand is anywhere near a combined team. He shouldn't be anywhere near United's team nevermind a combined team. I'd take Vidic, Evans, Agger and Skrtel before him any day of the week.

The same can be said for Ashley Young. Surprised to see him mentioned. Sterling has been much, much better even after a poor showing last week.

ba8e4f34cc59fc115c98d9df2667f42b.png

:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Indeed. I vote we take the form players up front. Lets select the two top goalscorers in the premier league, RVP and Suarez. :eek:

• Advertisement

No form? Certainly not. But he also missed plenty of chances throughout his Liverpool career, including this season. When's the last time you saw RVP or Hernadez botch up a 1v1 like he does? Like I said. RVP and Hernandez would score more goals.

I would certainly play him as part of a front 3 but that would mean dropping either of those two. Wouldn't do that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ferguson rarely picks Hernandez up front recently. Do you know better than him?

Hernandez scores when he plays. If he was picked more, he'd score more.

Suggestions that Fergie gets it right 100% of the time is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney offers so much more than goals to United. And his form has been excellent recently. United's play really dipped when he was out with the leg injury and it picked up immediately when he came back. He is better than any other current option to play #10/ACM for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

eugeneious wrote: »
    First of all, Rooney scored had his most productive season ever last year and the second half of the previous season he was the main reason Utd won the league.

Finally you are surely joking about RVP not being able to keep Suarez out on current form? Van Persie is in the top 3 strikers in the world and the nest player in the league, Suarez is quite a bit from that level.

I'm talking about what Suarez offers Liverpool and comparing it to what Rooney offers United right now. No comparison. Suarez all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

While we're doing combined lineups from fierce rivals, what's your best Madrid/Barcelona team? Mine is:

Casillas
    Alves
    Ramos
    Pepe
    Marcelo
    Busquets

Xavi
    Iniesta
    di Maria
    Messi
    Ronaldo

• Advertisement

While we're doing combined lineups from fierce rivals, what's your best Madrid/Barcelona team? Mine is:

Casillas
    Alves
    Ramos
    Pepe
    Marcelo
    Busquets

Xavi
    Iniesta
    di Maria
    Messi
    Ronaldo

I'd have Jordi Alba in there, and I'd pick Alonso ahead of Busquets personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A more appropriate thread would have been if both Merseyside clubs combined what would the starting 11 be, between Everton and Liverpool

Liverpool are far inferior to United at the moment.. Suarez and Lucas the only players who would get a look in

pool are way below us toffees. don't insult us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

De Gea
    Lucas
    Carrick--
    Nani
    Rooney
    Suarez----RVP

Johnson was a shoe in by far the best of the full backs, Evra v Raphael was a toss up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

wow, so many United defenders. Considering they have conceded the same amount of goals as Liverpool, and Liverpool are considered to be having a pretty shocking year in that department it's pretty comical.

Are you suggesting that we have less United defenders? It's United that are considered to be having the shocking year defensively relative to normally. A lot of that though is because of the injuries to three class defenders, including one of the best in the world. Liverpool's defenders are having a normal year after a strange good year last year. Not shocking at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

How about a "Merseyside Blues and Manchester Blues combined" thread? I'm sure lots of people would care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

ush wrote: »
    How about a "Merseyside Blues and Manchester Blues combined" thread? I'm sure lots of people would care.

You are finding it strange that a thread involving both United and Liverpool is popular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'd have Jordi Alba in there, and I'd pick Alonso ahead of Busquets personally.

I'd have Busquets because he's superior at breaking up play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Reina
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Agger
    Evra
    Allen
    Lucas
    Valencia
    Kagawa
    Rvp
    Rooney

Reina hasn't been great lately but i'd still trust him more than De Gea at this stage. Johnson loses out because I don't rate him at all defensively, and that's even taking into account that Evra and Rafael are hardly bombproof in that regard. Vidic is a no brainer. I have a feeling Smalling will turn out much better than Agger eventually but have to plump for the Liverpool man at this stage.

Allen in a coinflip with Cleverly. Kagawa can play wing or more central as the head of a 3. Can't fit in Suarez, Rooney and RVP so Suarez misses out as Rooney and RVP have both comfortably outscored and outproduced him as Strikers in the past couple of years. Rooney is better deeper too if you need to play one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that we have less United defenders? It's United that are considered to be having the shocking year defensively relative to normally. A lot of that though is because of the injuries to three class defenders, including one of the best in the world. Liverpool's defenders are having a normal year after a strange good year last year. Not shocking at all

Nope, Liverpool continued on their poor defending form from the second half of last season to this one, the common denominator being lack of Lucas.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rio isn't the player he once was but he is still a cut above most defenders in the league and just because he lost in a sprint race to Bale (the incident he's received most criticism for this season, no-one seems to mention that he had a non-existent midfield in front of him) doesn't change that.

He's been brilliant away to Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle and a good few other matches too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

MEH
    johnson
    vidic
    agger
    meh

lucas

allen

kagawa

suarez
    rooney

rvp

if gerrard was actually playing as an am id have him in instead of kagawa but neither kagawa or sahin have set the world alight this season there is just nobody else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

People may have a go at having 5 or so liverpool players on the team but I think if they had a ferguson in charge with 20 years of stability behind them, that liverpool team could be right at the top challenging, I really think it's ferguson that gets the best out of some adverage players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

De Gea
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Agger
    Evra

Carrick
    Lucas
    Cleverley

Rooney
    RVP
    Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

De Gea
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Agger
    Johnson
    Valencia
    Lucas
    Kagawa
    Nani
    Rooney
    Van Persie

Bench: Lindegaard, Ferdinand, Anderson, Allen, Suarez, Hernandez.

I don't really see the point? Why not do Chelsea/Fulham next too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭CSF

De Gea
    Rafael
    Enrique
    Agger
    Vidic
    Valencia
    Young
    Lucas
    Gerrard
    Rooney
    RVP