Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Skater dress!

• 13-11-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

Hey all - my hubby for some reason decided to buy me a skater dress and I have no idea how to wear it. I think he bought it in New Look Inspire range. It's really out of my comfort zone dress wise.

I'm no skinny girl and when I tried it on I felt rather naked around my chest area as it's just a little low cut. I had planned to wear it with black thick tights and black boots for everyday but I can't think what to wear around my top region. I had an idea for maybe a sheer type shirt with those thick collars with all the diamondy things that are everywhere? Would that look weird?

I also think the tights might be too dark - so I'm now thinking maybe those tights that have a shimmer to them? What could I use to jazz it up and cover myself?

I can't find any ideas online. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Lower necklines look better on those with curves anyway

eheheh it's just that bit too low - the girls are on show:)
    Thanks for the help, I think I'll try the statement necklaces to see how it goes- saw a few nice ones in Penneys similar to what you had there.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

What about a vest/cami top so you have a kind of layered look? A shirt type thing might take away from the skater shape of the dress, or maybe it'd work really well - I just can't quite picture it!

I have a similar dress that's a bit too low on me. It's patterned so a plain black vest top underneath works quite well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I'm a curvy girl as well OP and I love skater dresses as I find them very forgiving! I have a couple that I absolutely live in, for work, days off and nights out. That one you've got there is lovely, it's a great all-rounder because you can make it suitable for whatever you want depending on how you accessorize it.

You could layer it up for daytime - vest underneath, cardigan, leggings and boots. A long necklace will elongate your body and draw the eye vertically giving a slimming effect. Blacks and greys would look lovely layered with that colour.

Then for daytime, I'd wear gold or bronze coloured jewellery, maybe a long simple chain and/or earrings, and brown-toned heels (I have a bronze pair from New Look that I'm mentally putting with it). Gold and brown smokey eyes to go with it.

Embrace it, it could be your new best friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

That's a gorgeous one, I'll say that much for New Look's Inspire, they do gorgeous dresses. If you think it's a bit too low cut, go for a cami underneath - maybe tan or gold? The black tights and boots would look good with it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Thanks everyone- you guys really helped here!

I took everyone's advice and braved wearing my dress this evening.

I wore a tailored teal jacket from penneys, black cami, black leggings and knee boots plus a bronze and leather statement necklace with a black with white skulls scarf for outside.
    At first I was nervous but I got great compliments from everyone, delighted!:D
    Thanks again everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Chunky beads. Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Cool wrote: »
    I'm a curvy girl as well OP and I love skater dresses as I find them very forgiving!
    Same here, love them :)

Outfit the OP put together with it sounds lovely :)

Advertisement