Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet to usb problem

Options
  • 13-11-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi, not sure which forum this goes in.
    I have an Airtrcity energy monitor and the problem is connecting it to my pc to download data. I have a usb to Ethernet adapter, when I install it comes up in my usb setting not my com port. I need it in my com port for c2 terminal to read monitor. Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

well normally com2 ports are serial connections.what ever you are connecting is with the usb it will show as being connected to the usb and not any other type(ps/2,firewire etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Did you not get a driver with the cable. You need the USB to ethernet driver to see the connection as a serial com port. Similar to the serial to USB adapters which come with a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

yes got all drivers from current cost, still no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Don't you need a USB-to-Serial adapter? Ethernet and Serial connections are two entirely different technologies.

edit: see this web page for a link to an example cable on Amazon. It uses a RJ-45 plug, but it's not Ethernet, it's Serial.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

no it's usb to rj45

• Advertisement

this is what i haveusb%20to%20eithernet%20adaptor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

As far as I know, that dongle actually has a NIC inside it, it's changing the data. The linked cable is passive, it just changes the plug without affecting the data.

Yep, seems to be a USB-RJ45 passive cable rather than Ethernet, so the Ethernet adapter won't work.

so why does it come up in my Ethernet not my com port. is it a driver issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

wex96 wrote: »
    no it's usb to rj45
    RJ-45 refers to the physical plug, but RJ-45 isn't just used for Ethernet. That cable on Amazon is an example of a different use: Serial (RS-232). It's not passive, it converts USB to RS-232. From the Amazon description: "the cable includes the prolific (USB-Serial) chipset".

Some of you young whippersnappers have never known a world without the Universal Serial Bus (USB). You missed a whole other, lost, world of ... pain. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
Advertisement