Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Machine in Portumna

Options
  • 13-11-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

There is a total of 1 Pass machine (hole in the wall) in Portumna & its out of order every weekend. For any visitor coming to town, they wont be able to get cash. This is Bank of Ireland. There is an Allied Irish machine in the SuperValu & that has not been working for weeks. AIB closed in Portumna recently. Its a busy enough town & to see all the people going to" the hole in the wall" & gazing at it is just terrible in this day & age. So if you are visiting Portumna bring cash!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I believe the banks which the people of lreland bailed out dont give a **** for the people of rural ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ye gods, I haven't heard them called pass machines in years! You're showing your age there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Why what do you call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I say ATM but that's just from watching too many American movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why what do you call them?

ATM usually, boring sod that I am.

Pass is just funny because it stems from the time when there were really only two options, Pass and Banklink, and you were stuck with whichever one was operated by your bank. When ATMs became more prevalent and user friendly, younger people moved towards calling them more generic names, but older people stuck with the brand names. Of course I'm older now, so I probably do the same thing with other things. Except "iphone" of course, because that's just idiotic.

So I'm guessing you're a little older than me, and you were a BOI account holder. :)

Luckily for us, competition in banking is going away, so we'll probably revert to this real soon now!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

What about areas on the outskirts of Portumna? Gort, Borrisokane, Birr, Kilimor, Loughrea - surely they can supply cash for use in Portumna? Or even take to the lake and explore further afield - Dromineer, GarryKennedy, ShannonBridge, Dromineer, Ballina, Killaloe. FFS it's not like civilisation is cut off from Portumna, even I pass through it sometimes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

mathepac wrote: »
    What about areas on the outskirts of Portumna? Gort, Borrisokane, Birr, Kilimor, Loughrea - surely they can supply cash for use in Portumna? Or even take to the lake and explore further afield - Dromineer, GarryKennedy, ShannonBridge, Dromineer, Ballina, Killaloe. FFS it's not like civilisation is cut off from Portumna, even I pass through it sometimes. :D

It presume the OP is referring to a possible situation in which someone is in a pub, for example, and needs cash, they are left in an awkward situation if the Pass machine is not working. And driving to Birr or Loughrea is not really an option or advisable at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

They could of course do the opposite - have a tour of outlying pass machines, pausing for suitable refreshment near each, and keeping the proceeds of the pass machine tour (somewhat) intact to see out the week-end / holiday in Portumna.

What a great idea for a holiday "The 2012 Shannon Region Pass Machine Tour" sponsored by BoI, Portumna Chamber of Commerce and Diageo.

If nothing else, you at least have a vivid imagination. You could put your idea to Ireland West Tourism . . . you'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dec25532 wrote: »
    It presume the OP is referring to a possible situation in which someone is in a pub, for example, and needs cash, they are left in an awkward situation if the Pass machine is not working. And driving to Birr or Loughrea is not really an option or advisable at that stage.

You know there's this service called "cashback" that shops and pubs in civilized places offer ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

dahamsta wrote: »
    ATM usually, boring sod that I am.

Sorry didn't mean anything like that. An ATM is a pass-machine, a pass-machine is an ATM. No different really broadly-speaking in the main scheme of things! Simples. :)

Anyway hope the person found a place to get some monies. O.P did you find an ATM yet?! :eek:

16.55 post made me lol for real! :D:D

You know there's this service called "cashback" that shops and pubs in civilized places offer ...

Tell me a pub in Portumna that offers cashback on laser cards at 11 at night??

Advertisement