Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia Player - Option A or Option B?

Options
  • 13-11-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Ok, so my (reconditioned) iomega screenplay has packed up on me (won't load fully when connected to the tv but works fine via laptop so will use for backup storage) and after a bit of research I've narrowed it down to:

Option A: http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=29151&type=product

Option B: http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=29442&type=product

Ideally, I would go iomega again but the cost is just too much but something as user friendly would be great. Both seem fine, all my video files are in avi format and I have a large music collection as well in mp3, wma and m4a formats.

Anyone got any recommendations or words of wisdom to guide me in the right direction? If so, they would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

So are you able to use your Iomega for storing stuff on? Are you able to use it just like a normal external hard drive?

Is it for connecting to an HDTV? If so, is your HDTV a smart tv? Do you have internet access where your tv is, or do you have a wireless router in your house?

I was thinking this might be a good idea for you if you dont have a Smart TV and your Iomega still works as a basic hard drive.

http://www.geniatech.com/pa/android-tv.asp

This basically connects to your TV and turns into into an Android based smart TV. You can connect USB thumbdrives and USB harddrives (your Iomega) to it. Its also wireless and you can stream directly from your network. You can do all the things you can normally do on the Android operating system. Kind of like having a huge phone in your house. You can even connect a webcam to it and use Skype in your living room!

You can buy them direct yourself, or there is a guy on adverts who is selling them for 109EUR. Although if you buy from him, you are taking the risk that customs will charge you a bit extra.

Ive not got one myself, but Im certainly going to get one.

Here is his adverts ad. http://www.adverts.ie/tv/android-hd-tv-box-turn-your-tv-into-a-smart-tv/2140312

The seller has nothing to do with me before I get accused of shilling or whatever it is they call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

Yeah, it's basically just acting as an external hard drive at the minute I suppose. Same issue happened when I got the player originally (wouldn't load at all from the beginning) and iomega just said to send it back to them and they re-issued me with another one. Any warranty or guarantee has long expired though.

No, the tv's are very basic and a couple of years old. Not sure what internet access has to do with anything? Either way, sometimes I have but I don't have a wireless router (at the minute anyway).

oh and another thing, have a look around about getting XBMC installed on it if you do. Its free and truly and utterly amazing. It will make you wonder how on earth Iomega managed to sell you a mediaplayer with such a slow, awful and boring interface.

I have an HTPC in my living room and Ive been using XBMC for a few years now. The "WOW OMG!" factor when friends see it for the first time is priceless. Although you will find yourself constantly having to help them set it up as they will want it for themselves when they see it.

Here is a youtube video of it in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T970YM3w1LY

You can connect that android device using ethernet cable, so long as you are close enough to the router.

I have to add another thing, the Android box also has an HD Freeview tuner built in, so depending on where you live in Ireland, you will be able to pick up the UK HD Freeview channels from your tv antenna.

I was thinking this might be a good idea for you if you dont have a Smart TV and your Iomega still works as a basic hard drive.

This basically connects to your TV and turns into into an Android based smart TV. You can connect USB thumbdrives and USB harddrives (your Iomega) to it. Its also wireless and you can stream directly from your network. You can do all the things you can normally do on the Android operating system. Kind of like having a huge phone in your house. You can even connect a webcam to it and use Skype in your living room!

Ok, I have no idea what you just said there! :o

Edit: Just watched that youtube clip. Wow! In fairness, that is great but I'm not very good tech wise and really don't mind as long as whatever I get can store and play my files. I will look into that though and thank you for your posts, certainly gave me something to think about and recommend to others.

The android tv box is what you use to turn your tv into a Smart TV. You mustve seen the adverts showing latest TVs from Samsung and the like, with Youtube, Netflix, Internet browsing etc?

You can connect your Iomega Screenplay to the android box. All the films and music on there will be able to be played using the software in the android box. You wouldnt be using the screenplay software, which is broken anyway.

There are many different options out there, but if you buy any of the items youve posted in your original post, you are just getting more of the same as you had with your Iomega, albeit with updated software and probably more storage capacity.

The beauty of the Android box is that its fully upgradeable and you will be able to play virtually any format of video file. My friend had an Iomega Screenplay and often there were file formats he couldnt play. He used to have problems with a format known as .mkv as his device didnt support it. A lot of HD video files online come in this format and required him to spend a lot of time converting.

• Advertisement

The android tv box is what you use to turn your tv into a Smart TV. You mustve seen the adverts showing latest TVs from Samsung and the like, with Youtube, Netflix, Internet browsing etc?

You can connect your Iomega Screenplay to the android box. All the films and music on there will be able to be played using the software in the android box. You wouldnt be using the screenplay software, which is broken anyway.

There are many different options out there, but if you buy any of the items youve posted in your original post, you are just getting more of the same as you had with your Iomega, albeit with updated software and probably more storage capacity.

The beauty of the Android box is that its fully upgradeable and you will be able to play virtually any format of video file. My friend had an Iomega Screenplay and often there were file formats he couldnt play. He used to have problems with a format known as .mkv as his device didnt support it. A lot of HD video files online come in this format and required him to spend a lot of time converting.

Yeah, I've seen the adverts alright but my tv is over 10 years old is far from a HD tv! :D As with your friend, I had the same problem in that is was either avi files or nothing as far as movies were concerned but it didn't bother me to be honest, picture was perfect so there wasn't any problems. I suppose the main reason that I don't want to be relying on the iomega player is that I'm not sure how much longer it will last before it goes altogether and I don't want to be forking out for a replacement hard drive if and when it does. Plus, a hard drive is much more portable as I am frequently transporting it between tv's in different houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

Hi, I have an Iomega prestige hd drive with quite a few movies and tv shows on it. Is it able to plug into that genia tech device and play them? I like the idea of turning my tv into a smart tv, but am not very tech savvy when it comes to this kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dunks

Most TV's now support USB, you should be able to use any USB flash drive or hard drive and the TV will play the movies or music

Advertisement