Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Huntington Beach

Options
  • 13-11-2012 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Myself and a few friends are interested in heading to Huntington Beach on a J1 next summer. Can anyone give me any info on what it is like there? I've read some great stuff about it, and some not so good stuff (dislike of Irish due to to previous J1ers, poor variety of jobs etc).

Alternatively, can anyone give me other locations worth going to along the west coast? We are hoping to do some road tripping round the west coast towards the end of the trip. It's my first J1 so I want it to be perfect!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shanzam

Hi Yankeealpha

A mate of mine went to Huntington on her J1 this year and she said the jobs market was a joke, 2 out of 8 of them got a job. If you're determined to go there make sure you sort out a job before hand because with the new rules you run the risk of having your visa cancelled.

From what I've heard from previous J1ers its hard to get a job anywhere in Cali, but if you're over 21 you can try the bars. Most people who go out only want holiday jobs i.e work in a theme park or down by the beach, if you've no problem working in a department store you should be grand, also most department stores offer commission in lieu of tips.

Anyway good luck and I hope this was useful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭checkcheek

Sorry to hijack the thread. But I've a quick question. Do you see the way USIT is doing free J1 programme at the moment.

Can u apply but then change your mind. I don't want to apply and then have to book a flight and pay for it or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lamp92

Myself and some friends are also thinking of going to Huntington Beach on a J1 and then doing a bit of travelling. I know a group who went over last year and they said regardless of where you go to on the West Coast, it'll be hard to get a job, but all of them managed to get get one! A few of them got jobs at Knotts Berry Farm, a theme park in California which is supposed to be good enough for hiring J1ers. We're still pretty set on going there anyway! Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭doddly

I found hb grand for jobs if your not picky with it, knotts berry, bev mo ( an off license on beach boulevard) and Craiglist all offered jobs, people who I saw complaining not finding jobs were the people who only went out once or twice a week to look, hb is a great place with new port, Costa mesa nd main street all great places to go out

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lukiej

I have been here for a J1 back in 2010, and returned to Cali in 2011 but went to San Diego, but of course went back to visit HB. I fell in love with the place. Cali in general is tough to get work, but if your not fussy it can be done. If your over 21, bar work isnt that hard to get. I got a job in a Hollister shop in Westminster Mall, that mall is good for hiring. We also got construction jobs too. Cali as I said isnt as easy to get jobs in as other states for J1, but in my opinion its the best place to go, so much to do. Car rental is so cheap we drove the whole coast visiting San Fran, Lake Tahoe, LA, Santa Barbara the lot. We drove to Vegas both years. I'd highly recommend it. From what i gathered over the last few years since I was there, accommodation is more of an issue than jobs. J1ers tend to wreck places and they are not keen on leasing to them. Knotts Berry farm is a really good employer every year. HB is such a good place, beach is amazing, close to Newport which is so nice and better nightlife and Costa Mesa and Long Beach. Other places close by worth thinking about would be Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica and Redondo Beach : all of these wouldnt see too many J1ers, so jobs and accom would be more plentiful.

Feel free to ask me any questions on Cali. Spent two full summers there, have seen nearly all of it and love it, gona try go for a year in September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I found HB very tough to get work, took me nearly 4 weeks and even then got was only part time work in Abercrombie in Costa Mesa. Wasn't even worth my while really. You haven't a hope of getting bar work really. I had years of experience from home and UK and couldn't even get an interview. Bar work is a trade in the states really, you need to be an actual cocktail barman for most places in Cali I found. But HB is an amazing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SophieMaz

Hey,
    Myself and two friends are heading to HB this summer. Is there anywhere in particular yours recommend for accomodation?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
    lukiej wrote: »
    I have been here for a J1 back in 2010, and returned to Cali in 2011 but went to San Diego, but of course went back to visit HB. I fell in love with the place. Cali in general is tough to get work, but if your not fussy it can be done. If your over 21, bar work isnt that hard to get. I got a job in a Hollister shop in Westminster Mall, that mall is good for hiring. We also got construction jobs too. Cali as I said isnt as easy to get jobs in as other states for J1, but in my opinion its the best place to go, so much to do. Car rental is so cheap we drove the whole coast visiting San Fran, Lake Tahoe, LA, Santa Barbara the lot. We drove to Vegas both years. I'd highly recommend it. From what i gathered over the last few years since I was there, accommodation is more of an issue than jobs. J1ers tend to wreck places and they are not keen on leasing to them. Knotts Berry farm is a really good employer every year. HB is such a good place, beach is amazing, close to Newport which is so nice and better nightlife and Costa Mesa and Long Beach. Other places close by worth thinking about would be Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica and Redondo Beach : all of these wouldnt see too many J1ers, so jobs and accom would be more plentiful.

Feel free to ask me any questions on Cali. Spent two full summers there, have seen nearly all of it and love it, gona try go for a year in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deirdre English 101

5 girls, all 21 looking for someone to share accommodation with.. we're heading to Huntington on the 19th of May :)

Advertisement