Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AFC Wimbledon V MK Dons in FA Cup

• 13-11-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭

Looking likely now, Dons are cruising in their replay tonight. Bring it on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It'll be interesting to see Wimbledon's take on it. A lot of their fans refuse to recognise MK Dons as a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Have they ever played before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Have they ever played before?

no

That'll be some game then. I'll give it a watch if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Read an article once where if AFC Wimbledon beat MK Dons 10-0 it wouldn't come anywhere near compensating for the hurt that MK Dons inflicted on them. All neutrals should get behind AFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looking likely now, Dons are cruising in their replay tonight. Bring it on!
    MK have home advantage for this one.

They will be warm favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

Remember a season or two ago there was a chance they could play each other in the cup and AFC fans said they would boycott the game. Insisted there was no way they would give MK their money. They never played in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

COME ON THE WOMBLES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Very mixed comments and feelings on this. Some never wanted to see it happen because of the history, and some couldn't wait for the meeting, also because of the history.

Me, I cant wait.

COM ON THE WOMBLES!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

This is gonna be a tasty one. Unique in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My biggest rivals when youth player was playing a team called Wimbldeon in Local town who was actually managed by one of their Scouts over here. Stephen Flynn with St Pats used play with them actually.

They used to bring lads over from England to play with them. Most them over age the cheats:p. Nothing gave me better pleasure then beating them.

So I will be hoping they both get beat;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Presents a bit a conflict of interest for supporters - travel and support their team or stay away and not loin the pockets of a club they pretty much fail to recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wernt they meant to become the dublin Dons, before the MK Dons

thebaz wrote: »

Yes back in 1997 that was on the agenda. Thankfully it never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lad I know is studying in London and his tutor's son coaches at Wimbledon. The two teams played against each other at under 12s recently and there were journalists and police amongst the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Even though I enjoy WSC I find their continued refusal to recognize MK Dons as a team a bit tiresome at this stage.

I did not see their pre season preview this season but I am sure it contained the same line as it always does for the MK Dons - 'No comment'

The football supporters groups have even got over it at this stage with the return of the old Wimbledon FC trophies to the Borough of Merton.

No doubt the same old stuff will be trotted out again in that publication now that they will actually meet.

One letter writer to WSC told them to get off their high horse and accept that it's much better to see local kids in MK actually go and see live football rather than sit at home following Utd, Chelsea etc.

I'd expect MK to win by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Presents a bit a conflict of interest for supporters - travel and support their team or stay away and not loin the pockets of a club they pretty much fail to recognise.

In some ways, it could serve as a strong motivator, to see the visitor's stand completely empty - poignantly empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

thebaz wrote: »

What would that have meant for fans over here? Would they have backed this venture? Would it have been like the SundIreland craze a few years back and people get fed up after a while? Or would we have a new generation of Dublin Dons fans running around? Also, a possible death knell for the LOI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Omackeral wrote: »
    Would it have been like the SundIreland craze a few years back and people get fed up after a while?

What was that - I must have missed that!

I don't remember a craze from actual people - I remember the media pushing and pushing them coz Roy keane was manager and Niall Quinn was chairman, but I remember actual people always being irratated by it.

• Advertisement

I remember back then you used to always see Reading and Sunderland shirts in shops :D

Omackeral wrote: »
    What would that have meant for fans over here? Would they have backed this venture? Would it have been like the SundIreland craze a few years back and people get fed up after a while? Or would we have a new generation of Dublin Dons fans running around? Also, a possible death knell for the LOI?

It was huge news back in the mid '90s

Sam Hamman was the man in charge at the time and the idea was that there was a untapped support base here.

I think it was UEFA or FIFA that shot the idea down in the end

I see MK Dons have a very steady average of 9-10k since they moved to their current ground in 2007. Whilst that doesn't come close to filling their stadium I think that's actually quite a decent number for that division. By comparison I couldn't forsee them having maintained that attendance in Dublin whilst playing in League2\League1, especially with the already established loyalties here (both for local clubs and British ones).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I see MK Dons have a very steady average of 9-10k since they moved to their current ground in 2007. Whilst that doesn't come close to filling their stadium I think that's actually quite a decent number for that division. By comparison I couldn't forsee them having maintained that attendance in Dublin whilst playing in League2\League1, especially with the already established loyalties here (both for local clubs and British ones).

Fans from other teams in lower leagues say a massive amount of free tickets are given away week in week out there so if true, the numbers maybe artificially high.

Their away support is very poor, often only taking 50 odd fans away.

Anyway about home attendance, might be true they give away tickets or it might be jealousy from other fans that they get 10000. One thing I would say about them, Pete Winkleman, whatever you think of the football team, has worked tirelessly for them and the whole of Milton Keynes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't AFC Wimbledon form a couple of years before MK Dons? I understand the bitterness of fans that their team was taken from them and they were forced to start up a new team. But surely after that new team was formed they should have moved on somewhat.

I hope the game goes well and without incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't AFC Wimbledon form a couple of years before MK Dons? I understand the bitterness of fans that their team was taken from them and they were forced to start up a new team. But surely after that new team was formed they should have moved on somewhat.

Well I'm sure the AFC Wimbledon fans are kind of pissed they had to start at the bottom of the pyramid when a brand new team got to take their position in the Football League. Milton Keynes now officially recognize themselves as starting as a club in 2004, and all the old Wimbledon trophies are now on show in Merton, close to where the old Plough Lane was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

SantryRed wrote: »
    Well I'm sure the AFC Wimbledon fans are kind of pissed they had to start at the bottom of the pyramid when a brand new team got to take their position in the Football League. Milton Keynes now officially recognize themselves as starting as a club in 2004, and all the old Wimbledon trophies are now on show in Merton, close to where the old Plough Lane was.

Well, that is a valid point. But I think it's admirable that they created their own team and have worked their way up. Will definitely be cheering for them when the game is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

MK Dons was founded in 2004, AFC Wimbledon was indeed founded 2 years prior but that was already a result from the (then only planned) relocation to Milton Keynes.

Wimbledon FC moved in 2003 and were rebranded the following year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Not so. The FA backed the decision of a 3 man independent panel to allow Wimbledon FC to relocate to Milton Keynes on the 28th May 2002. Plans to form AFC Wimbledon were announced 2 days later in response to the decision to allow the club owners to cut all ties with the area the club belonged in and move cities.

Wimbledon couldn't relocate for a season, so they played on as Wimbledon in Selhurst Park in front of dwindling crowds. They then moved to Milton Keynes and played another season as Wimbledon before changing their name.

I used to follow Wimbledon back in the day- that decision caused a lot of anger within the core support which has never really abated. Credit to AFC Wimbledon though for doing what Milton Keynes didn't want to do- create a team and work their way up from the bottom of the pyramid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Credit to them. As long as they don't get back to the Premiership before Leeds do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

As someone who lived in Milton Keynes and attended a number of games, I think its past time they dropped the Dons part of the name now, theres really no connection left, I think all the original players have long left as well.
    And it was really only Luton supporters who liked to wind people up about "franchise" football!
    But yeah, Pete did great for them, and they have already created their own history, like the infamous "last game of the season and saved from the drop" match, where a streaker came on and the police only got involved when someone pointed it out to them!
    Plus the cowshed crowd, danny wilson, youngest manager in the league, numerous old ex chelsea players and now alan smith etc etc! Happy Days!
    played some good football at times as well but Izzle Mcleod never really understood the offside rule!

http://www.mk-news.co.uk/Home/Streaker-mum-has-ban-lifted-by-court.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Should be an interesting match, no doubt Espn or Itv will want to show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ah come on! You think they should have moved on? I see you're a man-u fan, if united moved down to london, changed their name to London United and left man-u fans to support FC United you'd be ok? And if they played each other in the cup it would be the same as if you played some club like Ipswich? Of course they're going to hate them. It's a bigger scale, but same principle, especially if you're a local doing to games regularly. It'll be a rivalary and hatred for as long at this generation of AFC fans exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As someone who lived in Milton Keynes and attended a number of games, I think its past time they dropped the Dons part of the name now, theres really no connection left, I think all the original players have long left as well.
    And it was really only Luton supporters who liked to wind people up about "franchise" football!
    But yeah, Pete did great for them, and they have already created their own history, like the infamous "last game of the season and saved from the drop" match, where a streaker came on and the police only got involved when someone pointed it out to them!
    Plus the cowshed crowd, danny wilson, youngest manager in the league, numerous old ex chelsea players and now alan smith etc etc! Happy Days!
    played some good football at times as well but Izzle Mcleod never really understood the offside rule!

http://www.mk-news.co.uk/Home/Streaker-mum-has-ban-lifted-by-court.htm
    With a bit of luck they'll go bust sooner rather than later, and that history will be left where it is.

CSF wrote: »
    With a bit of luck they'll go bust sooner rather than later, and that history will be left where it is.

wow, its almost like you have a personal connection!

• Advertisement

wow, its almost like you have a personal connection!
    Nope.

Correct, the move to Dublin really hinged on Wimbledon FC maintaining their position in the top flight.

The thing about the old Wimbledon FC is that they were a really small club that in the days before big money managed to find their way from non league to the top flight in a mere 10 years.

Once it became clear that they were not going to get a stadium deal with Merton Council then the club was f**ked.
    They could not survive being tenants and did not have the support base in South London to move to a new location in South London, hence the move to a place like MK, and prior to MK a move to Dublin was that was talked about in the mid '90s.

I really cannot see AFC Wimbledon being any different from the original Wimbledon FC. If they do find a way to rise to the top flight they will find themselves is an inadequate ground and with a support base too small to justify building a ground big enough for the premier league

Correct, the move to Dublin really hinged on Wimbledon FC maintaining their position in the top flight.

The thing about the old Wimbledon FC is that they were a really small club that in the days before big money managed to find their way from non league to the top flight in a mere 10 years.

Once it became clear that they were not going to get a stadium deal with Merton Council then the club was f**ked.
    They could not survive being tenants and did not have the support base in South London to move to a new location in South London, hence the move to a place like MK, and prior to MK a move to Dublin was that was talked about in the mid '90s.

I really cannot see AFC Wimbledon being any different from the original Wimbledon FC. If they do find a way to rise to the top flight they will find themselves is an inadequate ground and with a support base too small to justify building a ground big enough for the premier league
    Alternatively they could just be a League 2 club which is their level and may result in nobody else stealing their club. I don't think Premiership football was one of their primary aims when setting up the new club.

Wimbledon FC got attendances that were so bad at times. Think for game against Coventry there were only 3-4,000 at it back in 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Anyone wonder why Wimbledon fans despise "The Franchise" so much...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/14/afc-wimbledon-fa-cup-mk-dons

• Advertisement

I don't get that. This match is what football is all about. How would you not wanna go and see the team you watched grow from the depths of the English pyramid to defeat 'the franchise'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I don't get that. This match is what football is all about. How would you not wanna go and see the team you watched grow from the depths of the English pyramid to defeat 'the franchise'?

Putting money in their pockets would be 1 reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wimbledon FC got attendances that were so bad at times. Think for game against Coventry there were only 3-4,000 at it back in 90's.
    Thats basically the core support that never wavered, its more or less their average today in League 2.

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/attendances/afcwimbledon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

greendom wrote: »
    Putting money in their pockets would be 1 reason

It's not the main reason from what I gather though, which is purely that playing MK Dons in a competative fixture means recognising the existence of MK Dons which a lot of Wimbledon fans refuse to do.

I'm pretty torn on this. I get the anger and the hate. But if this happened to my team I don't know if I'd hate whatever became of them. The individuals involved and the Football Association - definitely. But I personally find the thing a bit tiresome now. Plenty of teams have moved and changed name in the past.

I know a fair few Southend fans who boycott games against MK Dons. To me it's another game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Meh, I have huge sympathy for the AFCW fans, but on the other hand I don't think Milton Keynes did a whole lot wrong either. Bulk of the blame with Wimbledon Council imo.

I think the sacred 'football league pyramid' was flawed in this case also - a city of 200,000 people got created by the social policy of a 1970s government ; to expect the local football team to work it's way up from Division 11 tier seems inefficient. Just because other clubs in smaller towns happened to be created at a time when there was no such pyramid and they got in by default isn't a logical reason for freezing Milton Keynes (the city) out.

Like if oil or gold got discovered in a desolate corner of Cornwall tomorrow and a 250,000 city developed there within a decade then there should be a way of fastracking their football team up the levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i get why afc fans are so annoyed. not only was their name stolen but mk got their league position, basically fastracked up the leagues and afc having to start from scratch. they have done remarkably well to be a league club i hope afc wimbledon progress as high as they can.

Meh, I have huge sympathy for the AFCW fans, but on the other hand I don't think Milton Keynes did a whole lot wrong either. Bulk of the blame with Wimbledon Council imo.

I think the sacred 'football league pyramid' was flawed in this case also - a city of 200,000 people got created by the social policy of a 1970s government ; to expect the local football team to work it's way up from Division 11 tier seems inefficient. Just because other clubs in smaller towns happened to be created at a time when there was no such pyramid and they got in by default isn't a logical reason for freezing Milton Keynes (the city) out.

Like if oil or gold got discovered in a desolate corner of Cornwall tomorrow and a 250,000 city developed there within a decade then there should be a way of fastracking their football team up the levels.
    Ridiculous. Why should there be a way? No team should ever be promoted without earning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

This on the tele?

EDIT: Thought this was on sooner. When is it on actually?

Actually, before Milton Keynes was planned, the main town in the area was Bletchley and they had a football team - "Bletchley Town" but they never got out of the southern football league. Then when Milton Keynes came along, they were renamed to "Milton Keynes City" but they eventually collapsed in 1984.
    Happily they are now reborn again, as Bletchley Town F.C and still at the same ground

Oh and on another trivia note. MK Dons played a friendly in 2005 against Atletico Madred X1 featuring a certain Fernando Torres (He didnt score though!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

I will be cheering on AFC Wimbledon in this game but the old Wimbledon were hard to love, I was at Plough Lane circa 1987 vs QPR and the game ended 0-0, Wimbledon had a centre forward called Hercules who they lobbed the ball into very poorly at every opportunity, if you were watching the game at ground level and didn't look up you would have missed most of the game, no shots on target or saves made, fortunately we had a lot to drink before hand and this made the game bearable. They make the current Irish team look like Brazil.
    BTW they were such a draw then, I remember an attendance figure of something around 22,000 for a league game at Old Trafford pre premiership of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement