Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AFC Wimbledon V MK Dons in FA Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

BOHtox wrote: »
    This on the tele?

EDIT: Thought this was on sooner. When is it on actually?

2/12/12 Live on ITV @ 1230.

Picture of a cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Been over to Stadium MK a few times great facilities watched the game from hotel balcony while enjoying a few prawn sandwiches. bit different from my younger days on the grassy knoll of the Witton lane end at Villa Park.

IIRC they were in the running to host world cup games if England's last bid was successful. If you stand outside the stadium you can see a load of steel stored in readiness to raise the roof and increase capacity on 2nd tier not sure if this has been done now.

Stephen Gleeson Irish International 1 cap I think has been there a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Meh, I have huge sympathy for the AFCW fans, but on the other hand I don't think Milton Keynes did a whole lot wrong either. Bulk of the blame with Wimbledon Council imo.

I think the sacred 'football league pyramid' was flawed in this case also - a city of 200,000 people got created by the social policy of a 1970s government ; to expect the local football team to work it's way up from Division 11 tier seems inefficient. Just because other clubs in smaller towns happened to be created at a time when there was no such pyramid and they got in by default isn't a logical reason for freezing Milton Keynes (the city) out.

Like if oil or gold got discovered in a desolate corner of Cornwall tomorrow and a 250,000 city developed there within a decade then there should be a way of fastracking their football team up the levels.

Sure why stop at just fast tracking them up to league 1, why don't we just hand them the Champions League trophy now!!! It's the least those 200,000 football mad folk in Milton Keyes deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'll celebrate the death of this horrible franchise club when it comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I really hope it's a draw.

I'm presuming the AFC fans would boycott a home replay too? It'd be a unique tie to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dan1895 wrote: »
    I'll celebrate the death of this horrible franchise club when it comes

I'll celebrate the death of this horrible franchise of a town when it comes.

the way they got their houses and infrastructure etc built for them

They should have started of like everyone else, as a small hamlet at a low crossing point in a river, with a few huts and a earth mound to keep out the dangerous animals, and worked their way up from there, like all the rest of us did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

They should have started of like everyone else, as a small hamlet at a low crossing point in a river, with a few huts and a earth mound to keep out the dangerous animals, and worked their way up from there, like all the rest of us did.

Did your town up and leave it's original location ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

This game is on Sunday, anyone know if it will be on television or available to watch anywhere?

This game is on Sunday, anyone know if it will be on television or available to watch anywhere?

Yes ITV 1
    http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2012-11-14/itv-to-screen-mk-dons-v-afc-wimbledon/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Just heard there will be around 3000 Wimbledon fans, and already 15000 tickets sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Game of the weekend imo (and I include FC Hollywood / Dortmund in that statement).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Come on you Dons!

Milton Keynes to win I think

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Hope the Dons win, and by Dons, I mean AFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭HoggyRS

bohsfan wrote: »
    Not so. The FA backed the decision of a 3 man independent panel to allow Wimbledon FC to relocate to Milton Keynes on the 28th May 2002. Plans to form AFC Wimbledon were announced 2 days later in response to the decision to allow the club owners to cut all ties with the area the club belonged in and move cities.

Wimbledon couldn't relocate for a season, so they played on as Wimbledon in Selhurst Park in front of dwindling crowds. They then moved to Milton Keynes and played another season as Wimbledon before changing their name.

I used to follow Wimbledon back in the day- that decision caused a lot of anger within the core support which has never really abated. Credit to AFC Wimbledon though for doing what Milton Keynes didn't want to do- create a team and work their way up from the bottom of the pyramid.
    I was a wimbledon fan as a kid too for some unknown reason! Was only 12 when it all fell apart. Tried to keep up with AFCs happenings ever since, looking forward to a rare chance to see them play live tomorrow.
    Meh, I have huge sympathy for the AFCW fans, but on the other hand I don't think Milton Keynes did a whole lot wrong either. Bulk of the blame with Wimbledon Council imo.

I think the sacred 'football league pyramid' was flawed in this case also - a city of 200,000 people got created by the social policy of a 1970s government ; to expect the local football team to work it's way up from Division 11 tier seems inefficient. Just because other clubs in smaller towns happened to be created at a time when there was no such pyramid and they got in by default isn't a logical reason for freezing Milton Keynes (the city) out.

Like if oil or gold got discovered in a desolate corner of Cornwall tomorrow and a 250,000 city developed there within a decade then there should be a way of fastracking their football team up the levels.
    Everything thats wrong with modern football there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Game of the weekend imo (and I include FC Hollywood / Dortmund in that statement).

Madrid derby surely deserves a mention?

• Advertisement

HoggyRS wrote: »

I'd argue that it shows everything that's right with modern football.

A club that were doomed got a new lease of life, a town got league football and the people of Wimbledon got a new club.

I'd argue that it shows writing that's right with modern football.

A club that were doomed got a new lease of life, a town got league football and the people of Wimbledon got a new club.

What he/she was describing was a situation where sporting ability or achievements would be disregarded if certain population bases required a team. Thats not sport. Let them start like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hardly just modern football - plenty of the teams in the current league pyramid got in for very dubious reasons also, from outright bribery to conveniently being able to skip a few divisions because of some perceived importance.

But if you want to believe its a modern malaise and that everything was pure and sweet and rosy in the past then go for it.

In the meantime, C'mon the MK Dons.

Hardly just modern football - plenty of the teams in the current league pyramid got in for very dubious reasons also, from outright bribery to conventionally being able to skip a few divisions because of some perceived importance.

But if you want to believe its a modern malaise and that everything was pure and sweet and rosy in the past then go for it.

In the meantime, C'mon the MK Dons.

If you want to give up on all sporting ideals and just make it pure business, maybe they could also do away with promotions and relegations and just pick the clubs from the highest population areas to play in the premier league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

carlop wrote: »
    Madrid derby surely deserves a mention?

I stand by what I said. :)

• Advertisement

What he/she was describing was a situation where sporting ability or achievements would be disregarded if certain population bases required a team. Thats not sport. Let them start like everyone else.

But everyone else did not start at the same place, as ArmaniJeanss has said

Just beacuse we have a system for so long does not mean that it should always be that way or that is was that way in the first place

For example up until 1987 league entry was via election or re-election rather than promotion.

There was a story I read in WSC about a certain club always getting re-elected bacuse they put on a best spread of food for visiting clubs.

If you want to give up on all sporting ideals and just make it pure business, maybe they could also do away with promotions and relegations and just pick the clubs from the highest population areas to play in the premier league?

But sure it has been pure business for years anyway

You think the ownersof Man City, Chelase, Cardiff, QPR etc have high sporting ideals ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Not even close.

But sure it has been pure business for years anyway

You think the ownersof Man City, Chelase, Cardiff, QPR etc have high sporting ideals ?

Of course not but we should agitate to stop that becoming the norm, not embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I'd argue that it shows everything that's right with modern football.

Two of the most contradictory posts I have ever read on these forums.

Father, are you per chance getting mixed up as to who are supposed to be trolling here?

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Two of the most contradictory posts I have ever read on these forums.

Father, are you per chance getting mixed up as to who are supposed to be trolling here?

Re-read his first post with your sarcasm detector switched on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What time is kick-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What time is kick-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

What time is kick-off?

Build up on ITV @ 12.05.

Massive game!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Its weird that there are probably people posting in this forum who dont even remember Wimbledon being in the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Melion wrote: »
    Its weird that there are probably people posting in this forum who dont even remember Wimbledon being in the premiership.

I was 8 when this happened. :o

I was 8 when this happened. :o

I was 12, remember it like it was yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Come on AFC get into these Zombie bastards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Lads, whats the Irish connection to MK Dons. Tri colors everywhere and even pre match when I was watching sky sports news

Melion wrote: »
    I was 12, remember it like it was yesterday.

Ha, the same man is in goals for AFC Wimbledon today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Fair play to the Cavan man who arranged the aeroplane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Loving the Wimbledon banner on the plane..love to see an upset here

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Lads, whats the Irish connection to MK Dons. Tri colors everywhere and even pre match when I was watching sky sports news

Support any team except the LOI!

Come on MK!

A lot of Irish players on the books, maybe family have gone over as its such a high profile game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes_Dons_F.C.#Current_squad

• Advertisement

Luke Chadwick needs to shave his head, that bald spot is annoying me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

In fairness you could turn on a match from anywhere in the world and you'll see one.. iv seen them at a game in the Brazilian league recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭recyclops

My mates dad is a member of the mkdons irish supporters club, 4 of em flew over today for the game.

There often going over for the games though today's is a tad special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Is any 'neutral' actually supporting MkDonalds, out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Is any 'neutral' actually supporting MkDonalds, out of interest?

Every member of boards obviously!

recyclops wrote: »
    My mates dad is a member of the mkdons irish supporters club, 4 of em flew over today for the game.

There often going over for the games though today's is a tad special.

Did any of them actually ever live there?
    How did they come to support them?
    I know when I lived there, there is\was an irish ex pats group.

• Advertisement

What a beauty! Get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Pick it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If you're up for MK Dons here, you're doing the whole football thing wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Ha, the same man is in goals for AFC Wimbledon today!

Not often you see a player being 10 years older than the opposition manager :pac:

Great header! Game on. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement