Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a mat for hot yoga?

Options
  • 13-11-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

hello

just wondering if anyone could recommend me a mat to buy for hot/bikram yoga please? i don't really wanna to get a cheap mat; when i was doing pilates regularly, having the proper mat made a big difference - but that mat is too slidey and foamy for yoga, so would love a recommendation for a mat or somewhere to get one from

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Manduka mats are excellent. They grip the ground well so they dont move about and they provide excellent grip for your feet, even if you are very sweaty :) They take a few goes to break in. The prolite mat is lighter than the pro, and ideal for classes. I use them for ashtanga yoga and they are great. They last for years.

here is a link http://www.manduka.com/us/shop/categories/products/mats/

you can get them on amazon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I would actually recommend getting a rug to lay over your old mat instead of a new mat. At a Bikram/hot class you're sweating buckets and yoga mats won't be of much help. Mandukas are excellent mats for regular yoga, but for sweaty practices PVC mats are useless as you'll be sliding all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cloudburst

i agree with that- did hot yoga for years and the best thing for it was these towels http://www.mcsport.ie/fitnessmad-grip-dot-towel/p-fmadytowelbpd.html or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

thanks for the suggestions - actually my pilates may is so thick and foamy, that it hard to do regular even yoga in it.... I have a very sharp tailbone! so i defintely need a yoga mat.... Was gonna go down the route of a yoga mat plus towel, so I will check them both out, thanks :) Anywhere in dublin that I could look for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

gstar wrote: »
    thanks for the suggestions - actually my pilates may is so thick and foamy, that it hard to do regular even yoga in it.... I have a very sharp tailbone! so i defintely need a yoga mat.... Was gonna go down the route of a yoga mat plus towel, so I will check them both out, thanks :) Anywhere in dublin that I could look for both?

www.yogamatters.com have a great range if manduka mats. And they ship over here. The only place in Dublin I know of is called joy fountain…it's been over a year since I was in it last, so don't know if its even still open. You could google it of course. I have to agree with the poster who said to go with manduka - I have a few of their mats - the prolite is good for carrying around (although I also carry around their standard ekomat, which has good grip also, with one side porous and the other side non-porous). Have to say I also use one called the millennium mat (also sold by yogamatters) - have had it for a good 7-8 years and its still a fantastic mat. As you can imagine - these mats are not cheap, but they're a lifetime mat, so you will be investing wisely, in my opinion.

PM me if you need any further advice (I have a thing about mats and have tried loads of them :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 FishCustard

Try theyogashop.co.uk . They have a great range.
    You can get mat/towel combos as well. The prices are quite steep, but the quality is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

TK Maxx do yoga mats at a really reasonable rate. I got mine for around 12 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Make sure it’s a non-porous mat and no matter what you get you’ll need to but towels over it for class.

Advertisement