Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The HHC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Surprised no mention of this so far. Or have I missed something?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1113/clare-co-co-household-charge.html

AT LONG LAST, common sense prevails!

The LGMA will be advertising any day now for a JobBridge intern to set up a proper database. That way, they can hold on to the incompetents who are responsible for this fiasco and get a proper database set up for free. And Clare County Council can devote itself to getting hold of €18,000 to fork out on marketing a song for The Gathering http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/1109/media-3431573.html
    Ain't life grand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hardly that much of a problem. I just called the freefone number when I got the letter and explained to the helpfull attendent that I had already paid it. That was that sorted.
    Regarding the deceased people that got letters, I can't see it bothering them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

finbarrk wrote: »
    Hardly that much of a problem. I just called the freefone number when I got the letter and explained to the helpfull attendent that I had already paid it. That was that sorted.

well said! if you have it paid and get a letter its only a slight inconvenience to make a phone call.cant understand all these"joe duffy"moments:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

pilate 1 wrote: »
    well said! if you have it paid and get a letter its only a slight inconvenience to make a phone call.cant understand all these"joe duffy"moments:rolleyes:

Sure, sure, sure, sure, ..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

finbarrk wrote: »

Is Ennis turning into a ghost town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It isn't a big deal to make one telephone call to inform the LGMA that you have paid the charge. However, I know of cases within my own family/friends where people have received two and three warning letters even after contacting the LGMA and after being told that everything was in order. I'd imagine that some people (particularly some of the elderly) would be very distressed to receive a letter threatening court action and might actually pay the charge again to avoid further action.

It is a complete waste of resources in my opinion - it costs money to print and post those warning letters and then staff have to be paid to handle calls and reply to written correspondence from people who have paid the charge.

A proper database would certainly go along way to minimizing the waste. I wouldn't hold my breath though, my Grandfather has been dead for twenty years and we're still receiving polling cards for him ahead of every election despite repeated requests to remove him from the register :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I think the whole purpose of the HC is to actually set up a national database and when its complete it will be handed over to the Revenue Commissioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

But why should You incur the expense and time of having to make the phone call? Damn it all, You paid the charge, surely it's the proper thing for them to make sure they honour their end of the transaction. Why You have to refer to the non-payers as 'joe duffy moments' is beyond me.

And as for the deceased getting reminders? DISGRACEFUL! I haven't paid, nor am I going to, and I also haven't received ONE 'reminder' yet.

I haven't paid, nor am I going to, and I also haven't received ONE 'reminder' yet.

I know that there are very few people interested in selling their homes at the moment because unfortunately there are so many in negative equity but if you did the State will have a charge against your property. This means that they will collect the tax before you can close the sale.

But why should You incur the expense and time of having to make the phone call? Damn it all, You paid the charge, surely it's the proper thing for them to make sure they honour their end of the transaction. Why You have to refer to the non-payers as 'joe duffy moments' is beyond me.

And as for the deceased getting reminders? DISGRACEFUL! I haven't paid, nor am I going to, and I also haven't received ONE 'reminder' yet.

now theres a "joe duffy" moment.i wont obey the law of the land but will defend
    those that do:confused:be carefull you dont hurt youreself when you fall off that fence.

• Advertisement

To be fair Pilate1, I can see why there has been opposition to this charge, especially from people who have paid thousands in recent years in stamp duty. Now, they are being asked to cough up again.

€100 is not a large sum but after this budget most of us are probably going to be paying €1,000 per year and that's before we pay to have our water meters installed and water charges are introduced.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    To be fair Pilate1, I can see why there has been opposition to this charge, especially from people who have paid thousands in recent years in stamp duty. Now, they are being asked to cough up again.

€100 is not a large sum but after this budget most of us are probably going to be paying €1,000 per year and that's before we pay to have our water meters installed and water charges are introduced.

i was making no reference good or bad to the fairness of the hhc.i dont like it
    either.i was just making the point that it seems on odd that somebody would
    refuse to pay on one hand and defend those that do with the other:

I am NOT defending ANYONE Pilate. Who am I to say yay or nay to those that either paid or refuse to pay, of which I am one.

What I AM saying though is that why should those that paid have to incur ANY expense ( no matter how big or small) to inform the 'powers-that-be' if they have paid or not? After all, they did what they think is right and paid. It's NOT their fault if the CC's can't get their act together.

So, please do not accuse me of having a 'JD MOMENT'. I find it despicable that ANY presenter in the public eye, can go on a radio station and sympathise with someone, who phones into their show, on the breadline ( or worse) while they are getting their enormous and obscene salaries. Sorry Mods, i am digressing, just making the point:cool:

Well that is a matter for the OP. I wouldn't attempt to answer for him.

However, I would imagine that there are some people who haven't registered or paid the €100 charge because they're heavily in debt. There is genuine fear out there at the moment, people are terrified about what this HHC is going to cost after the budget.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I know that there are very few people interested in selling their homes at the moment because unfortunately there are so many in negative equity but if you did the State will have a charge against your property. This means that they will collect the tax before you can close the sale.

Believe me MrsD, I won't be selling my house anytime in the near future. Thanks for the warning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I've got that letter as well and I wasn't bothered to be bothered as such and it was solved in no time.

What annoyed me though, was the sloppy handling of the whole affair, that is that they sent letters out to what address whatsoever.
    I. e. my address was completely wrong, but the letter was eventually delivered thanks to local post girl.

The problem is, that the CoCo just did a shot in the dark, sending out (quite threatening) letters to people no matter if they payed or not, no matter if they actually live at that address or not, or apparently, if they are alive or not.

It is proof that the household charge is used for employing people with no clue and with no ambition to serve the people which they are payed for. They just do some activity which looks like, well activity, but to no effect.

I actually told them so, the CoCo that is, and the HHC as well.

If the HHc is used for such useless actions I wish I hadn't payed it....

Advertisement