Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Graduate

Options
  • 13-11-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

a

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Is there no work place element to that course(presume it's a skillnet one) or is that the current problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I did a hDip followed by an MSc. That was the route most people from my hDip class took into mainstream tech jobs, either that or they decided IT just wasn't for them. I think one guy got a programming job straight out of the hDip but I think his undergrad degree was in something relevant to programming like mathematics, and he was streets ahead of everyone else in the class when it came to coding.

Once you have the Masters you'll be viewed the same as any other computer science graduate, and should get interviews for grad jobs easily enough. I really didn't want to have to spend another year in university at the time, but it was worth in the end. I also contemplated getting the java cert and looking for jobs with just that and the hDip. The bigger companies will just bin your CV if you don't have a tech degree, but you might be able to convince somewhere smaller to take you on if you get certified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

While you wait for your masters you could get involved in an open source project, or do some certifications. There's work in business intelligence and data analytics around the place, your primary degree could be an asset in that. You could also get up to speed on another language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

GradJava wrote: »
    Cheers,

I plan on having a go off the SCJP alright. Since all my studies are in UL they seem pretty open to people working away in CSIS building as long as you mind your own business! They do lectures for the certifications sometimes too. Of course I'd primarily love to get some work experience under my belt.

I suppose I could always make a million dollar app instead.

Have you *any* personal projects to show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

GradJava wrote: »
    The only problem is that most companies have no interest in someone that has not done a 4 year degree.

I am currently working as a JEE developer having done the UCD Conversion MSc. Is there any option to go on from the hdip to do an MSc? (this is basically how the UCD one worked, although the course was called a Conv MSc you could get out with a hdip)

The OCJP is definitely not worth it now imo as you have to do the OCJA first now iirc, but it was not really worth it when it was the SCJP either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement