Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoppers closed?

Options
  • 13-11-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hey guys.

I was driving past it this morning and all signs were taken down? Has it closed down already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

Hey guys.

I was driving past it this morning and all signs were taken down? Has it closed down already?

Appears to be alright. This is the third week it hasn't opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yup its closed.

Too far out of the way combined with the owners profile in the town didn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Was just gonna post the same query. Just wasnt getting the footfall I heard . Other stories bout the owner alright but think it was just a bad business decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

They really didn't have the business. There wasn't anything wrong with the food or anything but it was always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Schism wrote: »
    They really didn't have the business. There wasn't anything wrong with the food or anything but it was always empty.

I went there once, i was the only person in there. the food was grand but if your in town youre not going to go past macdonalds, supermacs etc for it.
    Also the restaurant in the college is pretty good and cheap so no reason for the students to go to it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

Not sure about this but heard a rumour that opening this place was just a way of getting his foot in the door on this site. Wouldn't be surprised to see an application for a drinks licence go in for this premises.;) Not sure how the student union / college authorities would take to this though.

Not sure about this but heard a rumour that opening this place was just a way of getting his foot in the door on this site. Wouldn't be surprised to see an application for a drinks licence go in for this premises.;) Not sure how the student union / college authorities would take to this though.

Cant see how anyone wold be willing to give permission for a pub along that stretch of road !!!

Esp given that there was a drunken santa staggering down the middle of it last night bout 12.30

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yup its closed.

Too far out of the way combined with the owners profile in the town didn't help.

How's that? Was it a certain Carlow publican?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

mfitzy wrote: »

How's that? Was it a certain Carlow publican?

Would also like to known the answer to this.
    Who owned hoppers?

bytheglass wrote: »

Would also like to known the answer to this.
    Who owned hoppers?

He owns lev n fryes I think ?

• Advertisement

Sorry I missed the previous posts.

Tom Lennon owns it.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Sorry I missed the previous posts.

Tom Lennon owns it.

Wasnt sure if we were actually allowed name him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

For sale sign on it now I see. Didn't last long to be fair. I presume one of the large franchise type take aways had originally been earmarked for that building? It's even on the wrong side of the road to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Yup its closed.

Why, was there something up with the owner?

rox5 wrote: »
    Why, was there something up with the owner?

A lot of people don't like him.

That would explain so much, because I always thought to have a unknown fast food restaurant outside of town was a bad choice.

A pub would probably do better, some of my college classmates always seem to go to the pubs at lunchtime, ha!

A lot of people don't like him.

Oh, I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I hear someone is renting the place now. Does it already have a license to sell drink? I heard last year, when I was in college, that you could get a pint in there, as long as you bought food, or something like that? If it doesn't have a license, it won't get one. Too close to schools, and right beside a busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

seen the to let sign still up on it yesterday. Who is renting it?

• Advertisement

There is no licence attached to the building/site but tom lennon did have one he wasnt using. The site only has permission to operate as a retail or services premises so that prob rules out a pub.

From what I heard the rent is over 30 grand .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Please say that burgerking is going in there like what was rumored in the other thread!!!

tommycahir wrote: »
    Please say that burgerking is going in there like what was rumored in the other thread!!!

I would imagine they would rather be the ones getting the rent rather than paying it . Would suit a macdonalds drive tru tho lol

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

tommycahir wrote: »

I'd highly doubt it. I heard (all long time ago now) that Burger King were about to start building there, but pulled the plug on everything because of the floods that happen? Don't know if any part of that is true. Just a little something I heard a while back. I doubt McD's will bother to take it either. Already have a decent spot in the middle of town. Wouldn't see them bothering with a second place at the edge of town. I reckon it'll just be a small chip shop. Whatever goes in there, I can't see it doing that well. Apart from the odd few getting lunch from the school or college, it'll be empty during the nights, and holidays. Only thing that would save it, is a Burger King, or another large franchise. At least that's how I see it.

Well McDonalds are seeking to build a drive tru in Kilkenny and they were also looking at locations in Carlow so who knows.

I cant remember if the barrow has ever flooded along there, but it is an awful site in fairness. Heavily reliant on the college for most of its footfall and the motorway has taken most of the traffic away that might ve been tempted by the drive tru, never mind that how many would drive out there from the town with so many others to chooae from.

Advertisement