Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We really need a Tablet all in one Thread/sticky...

Options
  • 14-11-2012 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

What ya think mod guys?

Theirs a mind numbing amount of them now (currently looking for one for the little sis = Head wrecked)

Recommendations from people that have one, especially those weird ones like Fusions, GoTabs, Fuketos, nabis and/or preferably some Chinese yokes that are better than the Nexus 10 (out today) that come in brown boxs and don't have a name. Was reading bout one some lad bought in China the other day.

Android Tablet Buying Guide: How to Choose and Buy Best Tablets
    How to Buy the Best Tablet
    Tablets buying guide
    Tablets: Tablet buyers' guide

I could throw up a pile of comparison tables and stuff but see how it goes...

Ohh, Thread is an Apple free zone.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Well there are forums for Android and Apple devices which should probably suffice, the issue I find though is when to move a thread or not to either forums or not. With the surface tablets now out and the Intel ones on the horizon the whole tablet scene is only going to get bigger. The sticky idea sounds interesting, I will certainly discuss it with the other mods but the forum already has 5 and any more will clutter things up. :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

yoyo wrote: »
    Well there are forums for Android and Apple devices which should probably suffice, the issue I find though is when to move a thread or not to either forums or not.
    Yea, I see where you're coming from...it's all a bit spread out and messy though, just looking there, some Threads have none or only couple replies and then others are full of chat making them 10+ pages and a pain to wade through, I don't know.
    With the surface tablets now out and the Intel ones on the horizon the whole tablet scene is only going to get bigger. The sticky idea sounds interesting, I will certainly discuss it with the other mods but the forum already has 5 and any more will clutter things up. :)

Nick
    5 Tablet Threads (if you include the Kindle one) on first page when I started writing this :P, could be a good Thread, links to where posters bought and good little reviews of Ainols, Goopads, GoClever, Sanei, Allwinners, elusive brown box Ipad killers with no names:pac:, delete all the needless chat out of it.

Could focus on just the lesser known non-bank account emptying ones, Samsung/googles are easy found and you know what you're getting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's badly needed, there's too many tablet threads now. Granted if they know they want an Android, they'll most likely post in the Android forum or Apple Devices forum for iPads BUT there's loads posting without a clue what they want. Not ruling out neither iPad or an Android, kindles, Surface, cheap Chinese models or even Playbooks(God save us all)
    Having a sticky with reviews for common devices and cheap alternatives will reduce some of these threads

Nick, true 6 stickies can be messy but there's 5 stickies + 5 tablet threads on the first page right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i got this for my 11 year old son for christmas and i have been playing with it most nights when he is in bed (i know it his christmas pressie but i cant help myself) its an excellent tablet it dose every thing that my galaxy s2 can do apart from make calls its running on android the touch screen is very responsive it connects to the playstore facebook twitter no problem down loading apps and there is no lag what so ever and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a budget tablet its out of stock now but they usually have more stock in a week or so and the delivery was only 3 days from the uk hope this helps
    http://www.futeko.com/products/TAB024.php

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well there are forums for Android and Apple devices which should probably suffice
    As the Android one is "hidden" in the mobile section, some people may not find it.

• Advertisement

smokin ace wrote: »
    i got this for my 11 year old son for christmas and i have been playing with it most nights when he is in bed (i know it his christmas pressie but i cant help myself) its an excellent tablet it dose every thing that my galaxy s2 can do apart from make calls its running on android the touch screen is very responsive it connects to the playstore facebook twitter no problem down loading apps and there is no lag what so ever and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a budget tablet its out of stock now but they usually have more stock in a week or so and the delivery was only 3 days from the uk hope this helps
    And we're off!:D Nice one!

See the larger versions of this on Aliexspress.

How long does stuff take to get here from Aliexpress? And then whats the story with Customs and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

And we're off!:D Nice one!

See the larger versions of this on Aliexspress.

How long does stuff take to get here from Aliexpress? And then whats the story with Customs and all that?

dont know about aliexpress but its an english company i bought it from i know its a bit more expencive than maybe buying from a chinese website because i seen the very same 7 inch tablet as low at €50 on some chinese sites but i did not have to wait 3 or 4 weeks for it to arrive because it was here in 3 days and no worry about customs and vat charges and if anything goes wrong with it i only have to send it back to the uk instend of sending it back half way across the world

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, it's become a very noticeable issue recently. I had actually been in negotiations with the android mods about moving / renaming that forum so that it is similar to the "apple media devices" forum, except for androids. I'll kick that off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I have Sanei N10 Deluxe 10.1" Android 4.0.3 ICS Tablet 16GB (no GPS, no 3G).

With original firmware - useless at it's best: wifi problems, some update process _constantly_ taking most of CPU, bloatware etc. I rooted it using linux command line & flashed with CyanogenMod. It's still not prefect, but I'd say it's probably one of the best value-for-money tablets. Buy it if you want to play with rooting & flashing firmware [*] and _stay away_ if you want to run on original firmware.

[*] Fairly easy, I can help linux users to do it.

The sticky idea sounds interesting, I will certainly discuss it with the other mods but the forum already has 5 and any more will clutter things up. :)

Nick
    3rd and 4th sticky could be unstuck if you ask me...

• Advertisement

3rd and 4th sticky could be unstuck if you ask me...

All I can say is this is on the cards so to speak. In the mean time unless the tablet question specifically is related to Android/Ios/Windows etc. then this forum is suitable enough in the interim. I don't think a one thread fits all solution is a good idea, as there will be many different posts regarding tablets, spec discussion, reviews, issues etc. It would turn messy and un-manageable pretty quickly

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Well there are forums for Android and Apple devices which should probably suffice, the issue I find though is when to move a thread or not to either forums or not. With the surface tablets now out and the Intel ones on the horizon the whole tablet scene is only going to get bigger. The sticky idea sounds interesting, I will certainly discuss it with the other mods but the forum already has 5 and any more will clutter things up. :)

Nick

perhaps a better solution is to create a sub forum called Tablets within the computer & technology category

All I can say is this is on the cards so to speak. In the mean time unless the tablet question specifically is related to Android/Ios/Windows etc. then this forum is suitable enough in the interim. I don't think a one thread fits all solution is a good idea, as there will be many different posts regarding tablets, spec discussion, reviews, issues etc. It would turn messy and un-manageable pretty quickly

Nick
    It would be a major time sink to get it the way I have it in my head...feck it:(, lol:rolleyes:.
    perhaps a better solution is to create a sub forum called Tablets within the computer & technology category
    +1 to this

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

+1 to this
    I agree but first of all Android forum has to be made more accessible.
    The Android OS is now used in tablets, portable media players, dongles etc. along with smartphones.
    I don't see why it should be hid away in "Mobiles and PDAs" while an "Apple Media Devices" forum is available for iPads, iPhones, iPods, Apple TVs etc

Just to point out folks we are discussing what will be done next regarding these issues, Android forum placement, general places for tablet discussion. Just watch this space :)

Nick

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I agree but first of all Android forum has to be made more accessible.
    The Android OS is now used in tablets, portable media players, dongles etc. along with smartphones.
    I don't see why it should be hid away in "Mobiles and PDAs" while an "Apple Media Devices" forum is available for iPads, iPhones, iPods, Apple TVs etc

Tablets also use IOS and windows RT now so putting it in the android fourm would confuse things... also RIM is also considering making blackberry tablets now too

Ubuntu is also developing a Tablet OS too for Linux diehards

To Yoyo

i'd love to see a tidy up in the computer & technology forum

Sub Forums should look like this

1. PC & Mac Software & Hardware Issues Help
    2. PC & Mac Upgrades & New Builds Help
    3. Laptops Help
    4. Printers, Scanners & Cameras Help
    5. Tablets & Smart Phones Help
    6. Software Recommendations & Freebies (MODS should attach a Note in post 1 - No discussion of illegal software permitted)

7. Operating Systems Help
    7.1 Microsoft Windows
    7.2 Linux & Unix
    7.3 Mac Os
    7.4 Google Android

8. Servers Help
    8.1 Microsoft Servers
    8.2 Linux Servers
    8.3 Apache Servers
    8.4 Sql Servers

9. Networking, iCloud. & Security - divided into subforums below
    9.1 Antivirus & Anti-malware Software Help
    9.2 How to remove and protect against malware
    9.3 Known Scams to Avoid
    9.4 Firewalls the good the bad and the ugly (a how to properly setup & configure firewalls section)
    9.5 Router & Switches Help
    9.6 iCloud Help

10. Programming Help - This is divided into several sub forums to help people with learning how to write computer codes (useful for IT Students)
    10.1 Web Code - Html, Java, PHP, etc
    10.2 Spreadsheets & Databases - Sql, Ms Access, Ms Excel, etc
    10.3 Game & Application Development - C++, Visual Basic, Python, etc
    10.4 Good Training Websites

11. Ask a Software/Hardware vendor (this could be a dedicated section for genuine software/hardware vendors to place a representative that can answer queries regarding their products) this could be a bit like the Biz forum but just for Computer related stuff - Rules for this must mean that the representative should be an IT Support Agent rather than a sales rep
    11.1 Hardware - Vendors such as Intel, Nvidia, AMD, Dell, HP, Cisco, etc
    11.2 Software - Vendors such as Autodesk, Microsoft, etc

for the Ask A Vendor section boards.ie could charge a fee to the Software/Hardware Company to host a dedicated Vendor sticky thread

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Tablets also use IOS and windows RT now so putting it in the android fourm would confuse things... also RIM is also considering making blackberry tablets now too

Ubuntu is also developing a Tablet OS too for Linux diehards

RIM already have one on the market! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_PlayBook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

smokin ace wrote: »

I have one of these too. Very pleased with it so far.

Sub Forums should look like this

1. PC & Mac Software & Hardware Issues Help
    2. PC & Mac Upgrades & New Builds Help
    3. Laptops Help
    4. Printers, Scanners & Cameras Help
    5. Tablets & Smart Phones Help
    6. Software Recommendations & Freebies (MODS should attach a Note in post 1 - No discussion of illegal software permitted)
    1, 2 and 3 is how it is already? Just renamed? Except for addition of Mac which I'd leave where it is.

4 wouldn't get 10 Threads in a year. 6 is a sticky in the Forum already or question asked in a Thread, no need for it's own.

7. Operating Systems Help
    7.1 Microsoft Windows
    7.2 Linux & Unix
    7.3 Mac Os
    7.4 Google Android
    7.4, don't know if I'd seperate it from Android Forum.
    8. Servers Help
    8.1 Microsoft Servers
    8.2 Linux Servers
    8.3 Apache Servers
    8.4 Sql Servers
    Not much Traffic as it is, I'd leave alone.

9. Networking, iCloud. & Security - divided into subforums below
    9.1 Antivirus & Anti-malware Software Help
    9.2 How to remove and protect against malware
    9.3 Known Scams to Avoid
    9.4 Firewalls the good the bad and the ugly (a how to properly setup & configure firewalls section)
    9.5 Router & Switches Help
    9.6 iCloud Help
    .1 and .2 shouldn't be divided, 9.3 never be used, Security Forum only gets a couple Threads in a year, no one reads. 9.4...maybe a sticky in Broadband, Hardware/software Thread that people could be directed to, not a Forum.

9.5 gets asked answered in Threads in Broadband.

9.6 could be good, it's growing like crazy. Fits nicely in computer and Technology Forum for now though.

10. Programming Help - This is divided into several sub forums to help people with learning how to write computer codes (useful for IT Students)
    10.1 Web Code - Html, Java, PHP, etc
    10.2 Spreadsheets & Databases - Sql, Ms Access, Ms Excel, etc
    10.3 Game & Application Development - C++, Visual Basic, Python, etc
    10.4 Good Training Websites
    Coding Horror kinda covers .1, don't think others would get enough traffic. It'd just be Forums with links in them.

Yea, reading that back I sorta come across as a dick, not my intention.

I'd be for less Forums not more is what I'm saying.

• Advertisement

Yea, reading that back I sorta come across as a dick, not my intention.

I'd be for less Forums not more is what I'm saying.

well i dont think your a dick so don't worry... :D

i think boards could streamline the whole area of computers and tech (including broadband, smart phones, and software) into a much easier to search area.

rather than people posting problems regarding printers in the pc software or hardware issues they would be more incline to post in the printers scanners and camera forum

it would also allow boards to assign mods that are knowledgable in those areas to better help users with queries

but anyway it was just a suggestion at the end of the day boards admin will do what they think will work right for the site.

it would also help alot of people who would like to improve their knowledge of computers and tech. Especially now college places are getting tougher to land in IT fields.

Perhaps boards could even work with 3rd level institutions and get good college training notes from lecturers which they could host here on boards so we could all better our IT skills and knowledgebase.

Boards could even target specific adverts in each sub forum and earn a decent bit of cash from IT vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've been having a separate discussion on structure with mods and I think we have reached a consensus. I'll update in a bit....

edit: I took the input on board btw. :) I think we have a decent solution though.

Methinks Tablets are a Fad, no one will want them in a few years.

Far to expensive for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loi09

Could someone please tell me about the goopad mini only 89 euro http://www.orientdeal.com/pre-sales-goopad-mini-ipad-mini-alternative-android-4.1-jellybean-ios.html is it worth and is it a good general tablet for browsing and video watching and battery life all information is greatly welcomed .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement