Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

get duty free in abu dabhi or sydney?allowences

Options
  • 14-11-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

flying dub-abu dabhi-sydney-auckland
    where would be best to get duty free ciggs /rolling tobaco
    i assume there is diffirent limits but since auckland is my final destination would it be easier to buy in sydney

also another quick question im booked with ethiads dub-auckland and have 2 connecting flights will my bags be placed from plane to plane
    im with ethiad then virgin then air nz as code shares for ethiad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

defo AD, usually can get 1x 200 cig - usually between 12-20 US$$
    and I think 2xbottles of spirits

if you buy in sydney you are talking 2,3 times that price for cigs

Your bags will be all packed flight to flight yeah, so you just need to pick them up last stop

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

thanks for that i bought some aed like 50 euros worth just to get a cup of tea and some food should of changed more ,
    do you think it would be better to get some usd i can get them in the post office commision free do they accept usd there?

they should be able to tell me the rolling tobacco allowances at the duty free
    also another question if i go over the limit i was reading i would have to pay the duty , would it much

thanks again 1 day to go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The allowances don't depend on where you buy the stuff; they depend on where you're importing it to, which is New Zealand.

You can bring in 250g of loose tobacco into New Zealand, and three bottles of spirits, each containing max 1125 ml.

If you go over these limits you have to pay tax and import duties, and it's generally cheaper just to buy the stuff locally in NZ rather than do this. If you bring in a bottle of spirits containing more than 1125 ml you pay tax and duty on the whole bottle, not just the excess over 1125 ml.

As for currency, Abu Dhabi Duty Free will take USD and I think also Euros, but the exchange rate may not be very good, esp. if you pay in cash. If you don't have UAE Dirhams in cash, you're probably better to put your purchases on a credit card.

Advertisement