Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WordPress Problem

Options
  • 14-11-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I downloaded WordPress but it didn't set up automatically. This seems to be a regular occurrence, but on checking some help sites it says to copy info from a file called "siteinfo" but I cant figure out where to get this file from.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

What problem are you facing exactly?

Can you run through the installer or?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jaguar240

Hi Lee,

I have the web address registered with Blacknight & am paying for hosting, just getting around to setting up a site now. Ive been told that WordPress is best to use eventhough I did a course in Dreamweaver 2004 a few years ago, probably most forgotten by now. I Googled for tutorials & came up with link below. It says to use one of the two options xx.com or xx.org. I picked the WordPress.org which I downloaded and unzipped. The tutorial says that sometimes some info has to be copied from a "siteinfo" file into the package, but I cant find the "siteinfo" file.
    Should I go back & use Dreamweaver.
    Thanks

http://www.lynda.com/WordPress-tutorials/WordPress-Essential-Training/97614-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

As part of your hosting package with Blacknight there is a one-click Wordpress install you can use.

Look under Application Vault > Blog Software in your Blacknight control panel. Far easier then a manual install if your not familiar with setting up databases etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

And if the one-click install doesn't work, talk to the hosting company support desk. We can't do support for specific hosts here, nor can we discuss specific hosting companies (see the Charter for more info).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jaguar240

Thanks lads but I'm wondering if Dreamweaver is easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's kind of comparing apples to oranges but I'd say no, Dreamweaver is probably not going to be easier than WordPress, either from a site installation POV, nor from a site usage POV which is very important. You don't get much easier than a one-click WordPress install when it comes to actually setting up the site.

Agree - I recently taught a group aged between 25 and 70 how to install and use WordPress. They picked it up in an evening. There's no way I'd try to teach them how to build a site with Dreamweaver - far more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Going from the likes of Dreamweaver to Wordpress or Joomla means having to turn what you have learnt on its head. Stick with Wordpress and you will be delighted.

Then you can bring in what you have learnt in Dreamweaver to get at the page HTML and CSS sources to fine tune and modify.

Advertisement