Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Meringue: Eggs and Sugar By Weight

Options
  • 14-11-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Most recipes for meringue will give you the same basic quantities:
    some will add a little lemon, others cornflour, others cider vinegar but the sugar and egg seem constant

• 
4 (3) large free-range egg whites, at room temperature
    • 225g (175g) caster sugar

However, the other day I was looking up a few recipes on the Channel 4 website and came across this video on the website on how to make meringues and the chief there was saying always weigh the egg whites (ad then it is twice that weight in sugar). Now I've never heard tell of doing it that way before, but it does seem to make sense at least all your measurements will be constant - as Gordon Ramsay said in one of his video clips baking is all about following a recipe to the letter.

Anyone on the board use this method.

Kevin
    ps just turned the oven off on two lovely meringues using the traditional recipe.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I recently read delia saying you should weigh your eggs for sponges, rather than use a set number, so that you get the correct ratio. Haven't done it though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I hadn't heard of that method but I'll try it next time. I've always used Delia's recipe which is just egg whites and sugar, nothing else added and it never fails.
    I've weighed my eggs for sponges and that works very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I heard about this recently and I'm going to try it the next time I'm making meringue.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

I always measured by weight. 1 weight eggs and double weight sugar. Nothing else except a pinch of salt.

Advertisement