Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHERE TO LOCATE GUN SAFE IN TIMBER FRAME HOUSE??

Options
  • 14-11-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking to see if anyone know info about the location of gun safes. im looking to get a .22lr cz 455 thumbhole but i live in a semi-D timber frame house i want to put the gun safe in my bedroom which is the side of the house attached to next door i will use screw bolts to screw it to the actual timber frame so it wont be too handy to remove. can i do this or does it have to be bolted to block wall which i dnt have. only other thing is concrete floor but that means in sitting room, toilet or kitchen none of which i want to use. any info would be big help. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

You sure you don't have a block wall? It's a semi d?? I could be wrong but the wall between both houses should be a block wall????

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭elDiablo79

ye not 100% sure ill have to get the drill out and see haha. just cause its a timber frame house i didnt tink there would be a block wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It needs to be to the block. tap on the wall to find where the batons are and cut a hole in the plasterboard and put it between them. You will want to insulate around it. I put some thin foam insulation on mine on the back and used expanding foam around the hole in the plasterboard.
    I had the same problem as you did only i have two huge safes so i chopped a massive hole in the wall and trough the battons problem solved:eek:.:D:D
    When you are putting it in put it in the corner of a room if possible so it makes it harder to pry open the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

If you have a plastered area on the front or rear exterior of your house chances are it has a block skin behind it. If you cannot find a solid wall to bolt to, id suggest getting some brackets made up by a weilder and bolt it to a main Joist.

• Advertisement

I have timber frame house and normally if its a dormer youve a chimney running through one of the rooms upstairs. Coach screws into a main member is very difficult to take out, additional fixings to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

Does a timber frame house have a concrete floor downstairs?

Tommy87 wrote: »
    Does a timber frame house have a concrete floor downstairs?

Yes it's built off a concrete slab.

Lads thanks for the replys. I think if i got good securing bolts and bolted into the timber frame the safe wont be going anywhere. Do you think i should just ask the gards where do they think i should secure the safe?

elDiablo79 wrote: »
    Lads thanks for the replys. I think if i got good securing bolts and bolted into the timber frame the safe wont be going anywhere. Do you think i should just ask the gards where do they think i should secure the safe?

I wouldn't unless you know one, unfortunately sometimes being very honest and seeking assistance sometimes back fires. Look at the link for the UK document its reasonable and straight forward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You could explain the situation to your FO. It's the CPO that usually calls out to your house, and it's his/her decision that matters. The SI states;
    Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    So if they deem it okay you're fine. IF not then you need to adapt something to suit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I wouldn't unless you know one, unfortunately sometimes being very honest and seeking assistance sometimes back fires. Look at the link for the UK document its reasonable and straight forward.
    Thanks
    you think i could look up a irish doc with all the relevent info and not have to use a uk one although if we had a irish one it would prob be a copy of uk one anyway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Put it in the attic and bolt it to wall of the chimney?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

4200fps wrote: »

What's a chimney?

Only kidding, but it's a looooong time since I've seen one here in yUK, especially in a wood frame house.

tac

tac foley wrote: »

What's a chimney?

Only kidding, but it's a looooong time since I've seen one here in yUK, especially in a wood frame house.

tac
    Ye man no chimney i think im gona bolt it to the wall in bedroom to the timber frame and ill bolt it to the wood floor aswell. If they tell me its not good enough im ****ed.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

elDiablo79 wrote: »
    Ye man no chimney i think im gona bolt it to the wall in bedroom to the timber frame and ill bolt it to the wood floor aswell. If they tell me its not good enough im ****ed.:-)

In some TF semi d house the party wall can be thick gyproc plank board and another layer of plaster board over( 50mm plus 12.5mm iirc) ...solid structure? Maybe

4200fps wrote: »

If the cabinet ends up in the attic, I would guess the gun rarely is put into the gun cabinet. Even the Guidance above states that consideration should also take into account the accessibility in relation to storage from a encourage storage point of view.

Again I accept that the Guidance on the net isn't IRISH however in the absence of any IRISH Guidance what have you got to argue a point see link

http://www.ipscnsw.org.au/Downloads/safe_storage_level_1_2.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

bolt it to the floor under the stairs downstairs its also a bitch of a spot to have to rip it out fe#k all room could bolt it in and put a dummy floor around it so its flush not ideal but out of the way and secure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A solid structure doesn't necessarily mean concrete or brick. I personally have seen one or two setups of firearm owners who live in timber houses, not timber frame. Very good quality safes were used and they were very well anchored to the main structure of the buildings. I dare challenge anyone to remove or open those safes without the use of some serious cutting or sawing equipment within a timeframe any burglar worth his salt would deem acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Just wondering how this panned out for OP?

I am currently facing similar dilemma. Semi D timber frame. I want to put the safe in the attic, but looks like the chimney breast the easy option. But not the best position. There is a dividing block wall, but it's covered by timber, insulation and drywall, probably 4/5 inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Just wondering how this panned out for OP?

I am currently facing similar dilemma. Semi D timber frame. I want to put the safe in the attic, but looks like the chimney breast the easy option. But not the best position. There is a dividing block wall, but it's covered by timber, insulation and drywall, probably 4/5 inches.

Your timber frame house will probably have a concrete floor. That's what I did in my timber frame house.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Your timber frame house will probably have a concrete floor. That's what I did in my timber frame house.

Not in the attic.

Not in the attic.

Why does it have to be in the attic? The law says that the safe has to be fixed to a solid structure. It doesn't say that the solid structure has to be in the attic.

Yes, the attic is good but it isn't the only option.

Why does it have to be in the attic? The law says that the safe has to be fixed to a solid structure. It doesn't say that the solid structure has to be in the attic.

Yes, the attic is good but it isn't the only option.

Ok, I know it doesn't have to be in the attic, but in my case, that's where it is limited to.

Thanks

Ok, I know it doesn't have to be in the attic, but in my case, that's where it is limited to.

Thanks

I'm guessing that "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" has insisted that it's not going in any of the rooms. :pac:

I had my safe in the attic bolted to the chimney breast but I found that the guns were going rusty. There was a lot of condensation build up inside the safe. I had to put in a dehumidifier box into the safe. It was a pain in the hole emptying it. In the end I just moved it.

I'm guessing that "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" has insisted that it's not going in any of the rooms. :pac:

I had my safe in the attic bolted to the chimney breast but I found that the guns were going rusty. There was a lot of condensation build up inside the safe. I had to put in a dehumidifier box into the safe. It was a pain in the hole emptying it. In the end I just moved it.

You are guessing correctly:D

I never thought about the condensation!, it gets bloody cold in that attic.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

New regulations allow timber houses without a block wall between the semi's

Your options are........

Get 4 big coach bolts I'd use 12mm by 100mm long and screw to a timber stud. The studs will be 40mm wide so use a stud finder to find them. A coach bolt is a screw with a hex head so you can use a spanner to screw them in. Drill a hole in the stud the size of the shank of the coach bolt.

IF you have block/brick outside walls the you can use them. Use an anchor fixing that has the wedge end and wings that open out. Drill through the plaster board, the 4" of glass fiber, the timber sheet of the frame, the cavity, into the outside block/brick. Take care not to drill to through the block/brick to the outside. Use a long threaded rod to fix the safe.

Advertisement