Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant woman dies in UCHG after being refused a termination

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think the government needs to finally introduce a law for cases like this. Its already been voted on and there is a supreme court decision on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

The worst thing about this, aside from the sheer tragedy of a woman losing her life unnecessarily, is the fact that we will have the loony left who want abortion on demand in this country, citing this tragedy in support of their aim to have abortion introduced as effectively a means of contraception.

Noone is calling for abortion "on demand", quit talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

As if 1:50pm, 2,141 people are "going" to the Protest organised by Pro-Choice Campaign Ireland outside the Dáil at 6pm tonight. It will be interested to see how many actually show up...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The worst thing about this, aside from the sheer tragedy of a woman losing her life unnecessarily, is the fact that we will have the loony left who want abortion on demand in this country, citing this tragedy in support of their aim to have abortion introduced as effectively a means of contraception.

I must has missed those posts :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

irishfeen wrote: »
    Am I right in saying a referendum is not actually needed as we have already passed a referendum on the issue?

No we haven't.

Following the x case wevoted yes to allowing travel for abortions, and yes to allow abortion information

We voted no to this text (both pro and anti-choice movements campaigned for a no vote)
    It shall be unlawful to terminate the life of an unborn unless such termination is necessary to save the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother where there is an illness or disorder of the mother giving rise to a real and substantial risk to her life, not being a risk of self-destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

MagicSean wrote: »
    A bit condescending to assume things about my educational background. Incorrectly I might add.

No law was changed as a result of the X-case. A defence may have been introduced for doctors who acted on the basis of the x-case but they would still be open to prosecution because of the lack of legislation or even guidelines.

Yeah but what DPP in their right mind would take forward that prosecution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

As if 1:50pm, 2,141 people are "going" to the Protest organised by Pro-Choice Campaign Ireland outside the Dáil at 6pm tonight. It will be interested to see how many actually show up...

It will never gather pace, so many people are undecided about how they feel about abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Where does religion come into this? Ireland isn't even a practicing Catholic country, that's back in the 50's, this claim that Ireland is a "catholic Country" is a load of horseshít, most people don't darken a church door other than Christmas Day.

read the census results, cultural catholicism is alive and well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Where does religion come into this? Ireland isn't even a practicing Catholic country, that's back in the 50's, this claim that Ireland is a "catholic Country" is a load of horseshít, most people don't darken a church door other than Christmas Day.

You're kidding yourself, they may not go to church but it's still religion whether they're there or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Funkensteinski

It is absolutely disgusting that this woman has lost her child and her life.

Successive and the current Gov. have had 20 years to act and put in place legislation to prevent cases like this.

In my disgust I feel a lot of shame in my apathy on the matter of abortion.

http://www.nwci.ie/takeaction/legislate-for-x/

krudler

"read the census results, cultural Catholicism is alive and well"

I would say a lot of mammies across the country are still filling in the forms.

For a more accurate picture I would look at numbers joining the seminary :)
    Give it another two generations ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

recyclebin wrote: »
    This is now the main story on the Daily Mail webpage so this news story has now gone global. Apparently the daily mail webpage is the most viewed news website in the world.

I expect there to be a referendum soon.

I don't know what religion has got to do with this story. Non Catholics/Atheists etc can be just as much against abortion.

i agree & i am a devout Atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Noffles wrote: »
    You're kidding yourself, they may not go to church but it's still religion whether they're there or not....

What matters is how they vote on issues - plenty of people are liberal cultural catholics, indistinguishable from ( liberal) atheists on all issues.

It is absolutely disgusting that this woman has lost her child and her life.

Successive and the current Gov. have had 20 years to act and put in place legislation to prevent cases like this.

In my disgust I feel a lot of shame in my apathy on the matter of abortion.

http://www.nwci.ie/takeaction/legislate-for-x/

no amount of legislation will prevent people dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

eviltwin wrote: »
    I can see the point you were trying to make...

Yeah, i see your point too, but I also choose with treat it with the level of respect/disdain you've shown me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

devout Atheist.

Does not compute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

nehemiah wrote: »
    Yeah but what DPP in their right mind would take forward that prosecution?

Same DPP who prosecuted the Romeo and Juliet case?

krudler wrote: »
    a debate to begin with is well overdue instead of dodging and hand wringing from the government afraid to lose the older rural vote. this shouldnt have happened, end of , if something is brought in as a result to prevent it happening again then its something that needs to be talked about and debated not ignored.

more legislation?
    another referendum anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

This was a medical fúck up of horrendous proportions.

Please look at this picture of a Rolleyes smiley puking other rolleyes smileys as a small measure of the distain in which I hold your opinion.
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4535/rolleyesbarfjy1.gif

maximoose wrote: »
    Does not compute.

damn your quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

more legislation?
    there would have to be SOME legislation on the issue for there to be MORE legtislation.

20 years of ignoring the issue in case they didn't get re-elected has cost a woman her life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

more legislation?

Both are needed.

Ireland actually has one of the least productive (in terms of producing legislation) legislatures in the EU. We are incredibly slow to legislate on anything, probably because TDs are more interested in dealing with easy vote-winners like filing potholes and other things that county councillors should be doing.

In the meantime, we're stuck with laws from the 1800s and others that are reflective of Ireland in the 1950s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We don't need another referendum (which will be demanded now by feminists and the left wing loo laa brigade in this country), we need medical professionals to respect the constitution as it already stands on the subject. Couldn't have less to do with the Catholic Church, that's just nonsense.

We still need new legalislation and a referendum. When the mother initially asked for the abortion her life wasn't at risk, obviously the doctor clearly thought the baby wasn't going to live. The current laws do not seem to cover cases like this, or if they do they are too vague.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

We don't need another referendum (which will be demanded now by feminists and the left wing loo laa brigade in this country), we need medical professionals to respect the constitution as it already stands on the subject. Couldn't have less to do with the Catholic Church, that's just nonsense.

The bold bit. Why do the countering arguments always have to be an extreme? "Abortion on Demand" - absolute tosh but what i will say is that who is to tell anyone that they should/shouldnt have an abortion on demand? You?

Dodge wrote: »
    Are you for real? Would you prefer we shut up and hoped it went away?

please, please, can you make it happen?

there would have to be SOME legislation on the issue for there to be MORE legtislation.

20 years of ignoring the issue in case they didn't get re-elected has cost a woman her life.

a friend of mine died of a burst appendix.
    should we have more legislation, or another referendum to deal with that?

Mod: Troll Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.irishchoicenetwork.com/1/post/2012/11/vigils-and-protests.html
    Dublin

https://www.facebook.com/events/306835169430369/

PROTEST at Savita’s death – Legislate for X case now
    Public event · By Pro-Choice Campaign Ireland
    Today 18:00
    Legislate now for X!

Join us at the Dail, Kildare Street from 6pm on Wednesday 14th November.

Cork

https://www.facebook.com/events/218194501646236/

Candlelight vigil in memory of Savita Halappanavar
    Public event Today 19:00
    Cork Opera House, Emmet Place.

London
    http://feministevents.blogspot.co.uk...h-embassy.html

In light of the death of Savita Halappanavar, there is a protest outside the Dail tonight by an Irish pro-choice group. In solidarity with the group, and to express our own shock and anger at the death of Savita Halappanavar, there will be a London-based pro-choice protest tonight. This will be at 6pm, at 17 Grosvenor Place, SW1X 7HR.

Thursday:

Belfast

https://www.facebook.com/events/293228100793876

17:30 until 18:30 City Hall, Donegeall Square, Belfast.

Saturday:

Limerick

https://www.facebook.com/events/172462832893678

Limerick: PROTEST at Savita Halappanavar's Death - Legislate for X Case Now
    Public event · Saturday 15:00 until 16:00

O'Connell Street Limerick

Galway

https://www.facebook.com/events/111469712349997/

andlelit Vigil for Savita
    Public event · By Galway Pro-Choice
    Saturday 17:00
    Eyre’s Square.

Dublin

https://www.facebook.com/events/243742145755096/

No more tragedies. Legislate NOW.
    Public event · By Action On X
    Saturday 16:00

From the Garden of Remembrance to the Dáil, where we will hold a candlelight vigil in conjunction with Galway Pro-Choice to grieve Savita’s unnecessary death

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Thats pretty callous given the circumstances in this case. You should look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I'm sorry but I can't help but believe you are trolling here. People really can't have views this stupid can they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's only if you take the majority view on here.

Ireland's still decades away from becoming a modern democracy that can stand shoulder to shoulder on equal terms with the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Please!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

maximoose wrote: »
    Noone is calling for abortion "on demand", quit talking nonsense.

I think a lot of people are, to be honest. Pro-choice is effectively advocating abortion on demand, it's just a rather crude way of putting it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I'm sorry but I can't help but believe you are trolling here. People really can't have views this stupid can they?

I don't think its stupidity, just cold. Pro life indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

the bandwagon is a rollin' !!!!!!!!!!!

People protesting on their beliefs and in support of this poor family is hardly a bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Was your friend denied treatment that could have saved his/her life?

• Advertisement

my point is people unfortunately die in (and outside) hospital all the time.
    no amount of legislation will not prevent this.

people are pre-judging this issue in order to advance their own agendas.

that i find disgusting.

the bandwagon is a rollin' !!!!!!!!!!!

You're an absolute clown. And an evil one at that. Hopefully the bandwagon (aka evolution) does keep rolling and your kind cease to knuckle-drag themselves over this country

mod: banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Funkensteinski

Forgive me if I feed a troll here.

If there was a legal grey area that might hinder or prevent a 'friend' of yours dying from a burst appendix, then absolutely, laws would need to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are, to be honest. Pro-choice is effectively advocating abortion on demand, it's just a rather crude way of putting it

No it's not, I know plenty of people who are pro choice but do not support abortion on demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

that i find disgusting.

A piece of legislation could have saved this woman's life.

• Advertisement

Sorcha16 wrote: »

And if they were, so what? What is wrong with a mentally capable person making a decision as to their own body? Cant you see that the current alternative and any other in between alternative is ridiculous and backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Please look at this picture of a Rolleyes smiley puking other rolleyes smileys as a small measure of the distain in which I hold your opinion.
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4535/rolleyesbarfjy1.gif

Can you discuss your view here on the basis of merit or otherwise without resorting to absolute nonsense. If this was not a medical fúck up of completely unacceptable proportions, can you explain your basis for believing that?

that i find disgusting.

You absolute hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

nobody insists that ´God´s will´ be allowed to happen in the case of a burst appendix.

As somebody who could potentially end up in the same situation as Savita, I´d like to see clear legislation that I wouldn´t just be allowed to suffer and die when life-saving treatment is available

Forgive me if I feed a troll here.

If there was a legal grey area that might hinder or prevent a 'friend' of yours dying from a burst appendix, then absolutely, laws would need to change.

yes we could probably legislate until we're all blue in the face, but people will still die from ruptured appendix.

that's life, but some issues dont lend themselves to bandwagons so readily.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

that i find disgusting.

In that case your point is wrong. All the evidence is pointing to the conclusion that this woman would have had a better chance if the termination was carried out. Agendas indeed.

nobody insists that ´God´s will´ be allowed to happen in the case of a burst appendix.

As somebody who could potentially end up in the same situation as Savita, I´d like to see clear legislation that I wouldn´t just be allowed to suffer and die when life-saving treatment is available

you are pre-judging the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

what legislation would be needed for a burst appendix? is there a law that currently states if your appendix needs removing that doctors cant do that? there is currently a legislation that isnt being enacted upon that stopped a doctor from doing what was medically right in this instance.

why you feel the need to make light of the situation and make crass jokes at the expense of someones life that could possibly have been saved says more about you than some of the points you are trying to argue against.

yes we could probably legislate until we're all blue in the face, but people will still die from ruptured appendix.

that's life, but some issues dont lend themselves to bandwagons so readily.

Ban this person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

you are pre-judging the case.
    you are a three-eared goat.

...elaboration and explanations are better than accusations and presumptions

• Advertisement
Advertisement