Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other questions on getting work in Canada!

Options
  • 14-11-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey, I know there are a lot of threads on this but myself and my boyfriend are hoping to work in Canada for a year and I'm finding it quite difficult to get questions answered from looking on the net. My bf is in the construction industry (shuttering and concrete work mainly) . Does anyone know what the job aspects for him would be like and where to go? he is pretty open to do any other job that pays well!

I am a teacher. I have a job here so really goin out for the bf but would love to get work in the line of teaching/ child care / infact im quite open to doing anything really!

Basically what we are looking for is contacts in Canada to get the ball rolling!

I have looked on the website for the IEC but does not seem to have come out for 2013! any ideas when it will be issued?

Any help would really be appreciated and my apologies for the long winded message!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

construction industry- anywhere in Alberta and Saskatchewan are having a real construction worker shortage so work will be no issue for him.

Teaching is notoriously hard to get into here, I know Canadians with Canadian degrees who can't even get teaching work. You will be able to get daycare or similar work.

The IEC is generally released around end of dec/start of Jan and takes 6-8 weeks so you could leave in March or April. I would get the ball started and get the garda clearance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

Thanks for your help, glad to hear there is construction work because that the main reason for going over. Have you any idea how to go about getting a job? I know there is a lot of different websites but to actually get in contact with some one?

Also as I am teaching at the minute I wouldn't be able to go over until July 2013. If I applied for my visa in dec/jan would my visa start then or from when i go over?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

ladybird23 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, glad to hear there is construction work because that the main reason for going over. Have you any idea how to go about getting a job? I know there is a lot of different websites but to actually get in contact with some one?

Also as I am teaching at the minute I wouldn't be able to go over until July 2013. If I applied for my visa in dec/jan would my visa start then or from when i go over?

Hi
    Join the Irish in calgary on face book and there is company in Alberta traveling to Dublin recruiting shuttering carpenters for on going projects there .

T

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

If he's a capable formworker he'll get work anywhere in Canada within a week of arrival. Go on the local Craigslist page for whatever town you choose and there will be job listings! He could even get into recourses up north if he doesn't mind the cold. Great money to be made up there.

Your work permit is only given to you at customs upon your arrival. So as long as you get there within a year of your approval to participate In the IEC program you will be fine! If you wait over a year it will have expired and you will have to apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

Wow, loads of great advice here, thanks so much!! one more question, I know the IEC visa will be out dec/jan but is there any way I can get notified as soon as they come out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Wow, loads of great advice here, thanks so much!! one more question, I know the IEC visa will be out dec/jan but is there any way I can get notified as soon as they come out?

Not directly. You'll find the process quite stressful. No1 from the CIC contacts you during the process to explain any problems or delays, and based on previous years expect delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

We are in Vancouver and from friends here in construction, there is a lot of work for concrete work. Very little for brick layers as all construction is concrete. He should have no problem getting work.

It will be announced on the IEC website when the applications for visas open and the different requirements so keep an eye on that.

Here is the link
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

There is no newsletter or anything like that you can sign up to.

Keep an eye on this forum as it will prob be announced here by someone the minute it is open.

Also friend the Moving to Canada facebook page https://www.facebook.com/move2canada , they always announce things like that and it would show up in your newsfeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

I signed up to the USIT IEC programme. They basically charge you a heap of money as an administration charge - A complete waste of money, but they do send out emails when the programe opens so it is worth signing up to, for that at least

Advertisement