Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 day old has a cold?!

Options
  • 14-11-2012 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am not looking for medical advice as I am going to the doctor tomorrow morning! I am wondering if anyone has experience this with their child though, my ten day old has a cold? I won't sleep a wink tonight. I don't have a temp monitor but buying one first thing tomorrow. Has anyone newborn every had a cold this early? He is sneezing and snuffles :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aww, the poor little mite.

Mine had a sniffle and was a bit bunged up when she was born. I used those saline drops to clear her nose, and I had a little suction thingie, like a dropper, to try to clear it a bit. They find it hard to feed as well when they are congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

Hi, My guy had a cold when he was about 2 weeks old. It was awful seeing him sick when he was so small!
    I found the saline spray helped for feeding. I'd give it to him about 5-10 minutes before feeding and it seemed to clear him enough to take some milk.
    As for the sleeping...it was a tough few nights. He couldn't breath properly when he was laying flat and although i put something under the top of the mattress it didn't seem to help. I let him sleep in his bouncy chair for a bit when he was really over tired.
    My mother in law said that boiling thyme and putting it in a bowl in the room he's sleeping in helps clear him. We did it (we would have tried anything), don't know if it helped, but it didn't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Steam up the bathroom and sit with him in it til it clears out his little nose. Keep using the saline drops and just lots of cuddles!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Ah the poor thing.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Keep an eye on the temperature and i have always put vaseline on the bridge of my two's noses. Don't ask me how it works but it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Thanks everyone!

Nurse said he is absolutely fine! I got the temp monitor and have been checking regular. all is okay and maybe I can get some sleep now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it must be quite normal for newborns to get a cold. My son had one around 5 weeks and I've since seen loads of threads here and on other forums from parents saying their newborns have colds. I suppose their immune systems are so weak that they'll pick these things up but getting a cold probably helps to build up their immunity. I know my son had no other illness from the cold at 5 weeks until he was 11 months.

Advertisement