Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should a cb400 ever lose traction under heavy acceleration?

• 14-11-2012 6:17am

My tyres seem fine enough for thread and the road surface is mostly ok around where I am but I'm finding it very easy to make the back wheel lose traction when I rev hard into vtec range or drop down into it.

I don't particularly mind.. I just have no idea what the rubber quality is like on the tyre so wondering if a cb400 has enough torque to break traction. If it doesn't, I'll have to look about getting a new tyre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Has it a turbo fitted..............:D

Are you sure its not the clutch slipping or maybe oil/fluid leaking onto the tyre,,,theres no way a cb400 will spin up under normal conditions.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Can you give a proper instance of when it happens? Are you stopped and pulling off fast, or moving and giving it hard acceleration? Are the tyres warm or you just starting the ride....is this only happening on one particular road in your area.

What tyres do you have on her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

There's no way a CB400 would wheel spin. I use my OH's Super Four from time to time and I don't ride it easy, and it's never happened to me. You mention vtec range - there's no vtec on a CB400 mate, so I'm slightly confused here. The only thing I can think of is that your clutch is slipping or your tyres have had it. This usually happens when you're gunning it/accelerating hard and she's almost redlined. Happens on my ZX sometimes when I'm caning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's no way a CB400 would wheel spin. I use my OH's Super Four from time to time and I don't ride it easy, and it's never happened to me. You mention vtec range - there's no vtec on a CB400 mate, so I'm slightly confused here. The only thing I can think of is that your clutch is slipping or your tyres have had it. This usually happens when you're gunning it/accelerating hard and she's almost redlined. Happens on my ZX sometimes when I'm caning it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB400SF
    For 1999, Vtec was introduced in an attempt to improve low- and midrange power.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My tyres seem fine enough for thread and the road surface is mostly ok around where I am but I'm finding it very easy to make the back wheel lose traction when I rev hard into vtec range or drop down into it.

I don't particularly mind.. I just have no idea what the rubber quality is like on the tyre so wondering if a cb400 has enough torque to break traction. If it doesn't, I'll have to look about getting a new tyre.

It's winter so your tyres will take longer to warm up. The roads are soaking with loads of rotting leaves, doesn't help traction. Do you know how old the tyres are, the good can go out of tyres?

While you're tyres may have legal thread, water clearing doesn't work as well that low, if you have around 3mm I'd change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

just to confirm - just heavily accelerating going in a straight line? all bets are off going wide open midcorner :p

I'd expect the front to lift before the backend to go really. So either tyres, or road surface imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Are you Casey Stoner perhaps....................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP is in Vietnam, maybe the road surface is different there or the tyres are super hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The tyre should have a date code on it, if it's over 4 years old, I'd change it. I'd recommend a Bridgestone touriing tyre or something from the Michelin pilot power range.

Cienciano wrote: »

Didn't know there was a vtec in them. The one I have is 93 and anyone I know who has one, are in around the same year, so obviously no vtec.

Cheers for the info all the same. Nice one.

• Advertisement

Didn't know there was a vtec in them. The one I have is 93 and anyone I know who has one, are in around the same year, so obviously no vtec.

Cheers for the info all the same. Nice one.
    Didn't know either, surprised too when I saw it.
    Never on one, but I see the odd nicely kept super four around town, savage looking bike when it's nice and shiny.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Never on one, but I see the odd nicely kept super four around town, savage looking bike when it's nice and shiny.

They're a great bike!! Nimble and agile, great, fun commuter bike.

Cb400 does indeed have vtec.. And the wheel spin just happens in first and continues if i shift hard into second. Tyres are Michelin Pilot Road and after having a second look, I think I just need a new tyre.

7wZ3N.jpg

Never bought tyres for a bike and years since I bought them for a car so my judgement is way way off. It's about $250 here for a continental rear tyre. Joys of driving a mostly illegal bike.

As a side note, thought I'd be ready to drive any bike after getting comfortable with dirt bikes but definitely see the value of a 400 before a 600.. Traffic and road conditions here are insane and I'd hate to think how I'd handle a cbr in so many tight spots everyday. The sheer amount of engine breaking being one of the most noticeable things to get used to.

That's the old version of the Pilot Road. Get the new version and I guarantee you'll notice the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have put a fair few miles up on two CB's over the years, I have never had that problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

My old CB400 would spin up, but only in the winter on frosty roads.

Are you sure it's not the clutch slipping? How do you know it's the wheel spinning up? Does the back end start squirming around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I'd recommend Michelin Pilot Road 3. Fantastic tyres!

Yea I know it's not clutch slip. I bought the bike with the clutch slightly tight and it was slipping. Now it's the actual back end squirming. Id like to take tyre advice but I'll be stuck with whatever I get. Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

had a 99 SF vtec for years up to few months back...never happened to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Fabritzo wrote: »

Is love to see that from an external point of view

Jesus.. :eek: I don't know how anyone can deal with that amount of adrenaline.

A normal commute home on a friday evening, no big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As a card carrying* atheist, I can only say, JESUS CHRIST

* atheists do not carry membership cards

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ahh, Russians you gotta love them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Ahh, Russians you gotta love them.

Filmed in Athens according to the Youtube description actually :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Filmed in Athens according to the Youtube description actually :D

Russian tourist on rented bike in Athens anyone.......... ?? :D:D

jeez he's nuts. locking it up, breaking traction all over the place. And all on tarmac that looks like it was painted with old engine oil.

Ba-Na-Nas.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I noticed some cracks within the thread of my Bridgestone rear tyre. After checking the manufacturing date which im sure is DOT 4209, should the tyre be what they call dry rotting already? Its just shy of 4 years old.

Is it left outside all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Is it left outside all the time?

I have the bike about a year and a half and its mostly outside

Advertisement