Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton cliff walk?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

durandal01 wrote: »
    I have a question for anybody from the area, any advice would be appreciated.
    The path runs to the west of Ballycotton, is it possible to follow the coastline all the way westward to Roches Point?
    Is there a right of way or will I be trespassing on sections?
    It looks to be a nice bimble on Google Maps and OSI 81.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=ballycotton&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x484379f386365525:0xa00c7a99731a0c0,Ballycotton,+Co.+Cork&gl=ie&ei=nymjUOn0CMXMhAe_z4CoAw&sqi=2&ved=0CJQBELYD
    I might bivvy on the route and make my way to Whitegate next morning to return to Cork.
    Thanks for in advance...J.

To be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure of the legalities.

However, I'm kinda confident that there's either a public right way along the path or else it is owned by the council. IIRC the County Council has a sign up advertising the walk, at the car park.

As far as I remember, the path ends at some stage, so if you were to keep going, maybe you might be trespassing. I would doubt that an outdoors type guy like you would bother a farmer, even if you do end up trespassing.

And if you are bivvying, you may never be noticed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

I'm local enough to Ballycotton ... there is a public walk that takes about an hour and ends at a small beach. To the best of my knowledge the rest of the walk to Roche's Point goes through private land but I'm not certain. I do know that it is open to the public for charity walks every now and then with land owners permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Thanks Preacherman and Mustard for your replies.
    I've never been to this area before nor seen Cork harbour from the East so I'm planning a day or two trip to occupy myself after Christmas.
    Again, thanks a lot...J.

Advertisement