Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC or Eircom

• 14-11-2012 7:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

Hey Guys,
    I'm in the lucky position between having to choose between UPC and Eircom as my broadband supplier, and I've a straight question to ask.

I'm in Douglas in Cork which has been upgrade as part of the phase 1 roll out of fibre to cabinet, so I could go with Eircom 24Mb package and then hope to get upgraded when fibre gets enabled, or go with UPC

UPC have the benefit of the speed and the tv bundle rolled into 1 package.

So you'd a straight choice between UPC and Eircom 24Mb, what would you go for?

GeneralDisorder :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

UPC with out a doubt; higher speed, better service and as UPC increases the speed Eircom will still try to push data over the phone line while UPC uses their shielded coax which has greatly increased speed possibilites (Eircom will cap out at 100MB at best and will always be up to where as UPC is already at 150MB and can push 300+).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

UPC, absolutely no contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Enright

UPC - no contest, excellent service, getting 53Mbs instead of 50, was with eircom got 6mbs instead of 8 - they charged if i went over 8gbs download - no limits on UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 GeneralDisorder

Thanks for the reply guys, completely validates what I've been thinking myself from my reading on here, time get onto UPC and get the ball rolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

UPC. Far more reliable in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Enright wrote: »
    UPC - no contest, excellent service, getting 53Mbs instead of 50, was with eircom got 6mbs instead of 8 - they charged if i went over 8gbs download - no limits on UPC

Actually there is a limit on UPC - they have a fair usage policy of 500GB.

"From 5th September 2011, the data transfer allowance for all Fibre Power Broadband customers is 500GB "

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

UPC, no contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Eircom, has better upload speeds but i believe the 150 meg 35 upload package is limited to a couple of geo areas around Dublin city.

Eircom is pricer than UPC. So i say UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Eircom, has better upload speeds

Do you really think this, or is this just poorly phrased? If the former, eircom does not have better upload speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just be aware that if you don't take the telly package they hit you with a subsidy of about €7 with UPC, but that still wouldn't let that put me off as I wouldn't move from them now and go back to crappy Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Skerries wrote: »
    just be aware that if you don't take the telly package they hit you with a subsidy of about €7 with UPC, but that still wouldn't let that put me off as I wouldn't move from them now and go back to crappy Eircom
    Take the phone instead of the, never hook up a phone, profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

cgarvey wrote: »
    Do you really think this, or is this just poorly phrased? If the former, eircom does not have better upload speeds.

I'm fairly certain Eircom had a fibre package/ 150meg -35 meg upload package on their website. I remember looking at it last year.

Granted it was only at trial stage than and was limited to a handful of locations around Dublin. But if there is any homes anywhere on this package. Eircom, would therefore have better upload speeds than UPC, though granted UPC 150 meg package and 10 upload package is available to more customers countrywide...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm fairly certain Eircom had a fibre package/ 150meg -35 meg upload package on their website. I remember looking at it last year.

Granted it was only at trial stage than and was limited to a handful of locations around Dublin. But if there is any homes anywhere on this package. Eircom, would therefore have better upload speeds than UPC, though granted UPC 150 meg package and 10 upload package is available to more customers countrywide...
    possibly, but that's hardly relevent to the vast majority of users.

that's like saying because nissan sell the skyline gtr, nissans are therefore faster than porsche's, even though most nissan owners are stuck with micra's.

Advertisement