Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone own a WDTV live ?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions and advice on this sort of stuff , was eyeing up the WDTV live , as a wireless network streamer.

If anybody has had one . How do you find the streaming ? do you also download stuff to usbs etc and play them off that on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

hi outkast i use the wdtv live smp it will play just about any type of file. i have a 2tb and a 1tb drive connected to it i dont stream content but have in the past and it worked perfectly i use it mainly to watch my dvd and blu-ray backups saves wear and tear on the disks hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I had the original WDTV and flashed it with some custom firmware to network it. Great little piece of kit. Can play everythng you chuck at it. The only downside to the original WDTV is that it can't play DTS sound.

I recently got myself a Popcorn hour c-200 with a 2TB drive. Now that's a proper media player/streamer.

As for downloading/streaming - I'm not sure exactly where you get the stuff, but the PCH can acess Netflix etc. Most people use these players for playing back up copies of their DVD/Blu-Ray collection, that they've converted to .mkv/.mp4/.avi etc. Converters can be found on the internet for free. From what I understand there are places to legally get movies/TV shows as well as illeagally. Please don't ask me where though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AGC12345

I have three of these connected up to a MyBookLive NAS. They work brilliantly. Kids can watch movies on one tv while I can watch a movie on anouther.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Thanks for the feedback guys i would be getting this as a present for my dad for christmas , must keep an eye out for a cheap external harddrive or large usb.

I mainly want to use it to put seasons of tv shows onto it for him, hes always annoying me to burn them to discs :D

For the moment i might get a 32gb memory stick , i suppose that would work as good as a hard drive ? Obviously smaller but should work ok

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

outkast a 32gb usb would work fine .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 paolosnapid

Does anyone have problems with the WD TV live not playing off a hard-drive? I got a WD TV today,I've connected two different hard drives to it to watch stuff recorded from a Saorview box but the WD TV can't even find the files,also when the hard drives are connected I can't navigate through the menu's,it's basically freezing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

I bought it to watch netflix.... and it worked great.

Had access to the US version to access when the box advised there was a firmware update and the wife accepted it !!!! Lost my 'free' access to the US version and thereafter I dropped the Netflix as the Irish version was not worth the subs......

Am about to start a thread on Boards.ie about feature lenght films on You Tube as I would return to watching it using the You Tube link and watch a film straight from same......lets see how that goes!!!

Advertisement