Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU gone?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

A few days ago i decided to flush my water cooling loop as it has been over 12months since initially installed it.

After i drained it, took it apart and cleaned out the block, i then reinstalled it all together and added new coolent. I then did a 24 hour leak test over the weekend and all was well, no leaks whatsoever.

My next step was to hook up all the cables and then turn on the system. I turned it on and booted onto my windows 8 usb stick and installed windows 8. Take a look at the issue on my youtube video. You can skip and watch the last 20seconds of the video.

I then tried to reinstall windows 7 thinking its a win8 issue and i managed to install win 7 and got as far as going into desktop installing a few apps and installing the nvidia drivers. After installing the nvidia drivers it asks me to restart so i did. When i restarted it never loaded windows 7 and always got a blank screen.

Is my GPU ****ed? CPU maybe? mobo? PSU? My guess it is the GPU which now forces me to cough up £300 :(

Any suggestions on what i can try to fix the GPU? or to do more tests to determin that it is the gpu?

Thanks in advance

System specs:

i7 920 cpu
    Nvidia 480gtx(dead?)
    corsair 850W Gold PSU
    crucial M4 SSD 128gb
    DVD writer
    3 1TB SATA hdd's

Water cooling loop
    XSPC reserviour in bay
    ex-ddc pump
    EK supreme HF cpu block
    EK 480gtx plexi waterblock

Issue
    I will let the video do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AqpozJccg&feature=g-upl

i have tried some mmtest and it passes fine and i tried various drivers on win 7 and both could not boot win 7 properly and last thing i tried was to install my 260gtx on this pc and it worked fine. booted into win 7 fine and managed to install win 8 perfectly with no GPU issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, GPU is quite likely the culrpit.

You sure you're having good flow and theres no air in there?

Try a Ubuntu live disk and see how that performs first. Then maybe test the system with another GPU if you have one? You can leave the current one in the loop just out of the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Hi, cheers for the response but as i have stated on my first post i did infact tried a different GPU(260gtx) and it worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh I missed the last line.

Not a WC head myself, but did you take the block off the PCB(I assume you would to scrub it)? Remember new thermal compound?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i've sent it back to evga. they may fix or replace it. fingers crossed it all goes well

Advertisement