Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs in The Academy

Options
  • 14-11-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi im hoping to go to a gig in the Academy in December i've never been before whats it like space wise and people wise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

The venue holds about 800 I think, it's a very small venue really, and you'll be able to see everything wherever you are. There's an upstairs section also with seats but you'd have to be there very early to get one, but you can stand and watch up there if you want to escape the crowding of downstairs.

Very good venue and would be my favourite small venue in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

What I would worry about is would it get to stuffy or people in your space? Sounds good though thanks, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

If youre worried about it getting stuffy and people in your space get there early and sit up stairs. Its about the same size as the Temple Bar Music Centre in my opinion if thats any use to you.

Ok cool might just do that so. Thanks, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

grimm2005 wrote: »
    you'll be able to see everything wherever you are. There's an upstairs section also with seats but you'd have to be there very early to get one, but you can stand and watch up there if you want to escape the crowding of downstairs.

Very much disagree with you there.
    As a short-arse it's the worst place around for a good view and I've only been deemed worthy of Upstairs on a couple occasions.
    Can't stand the venue. Much preferred the similarly-sized Ambassador.

• Advertisement

So i'd have to go early to either get a good spot at the front or get a seat?

I'm a wheelchair user so I'm always put upstairs. Only ever been downstairs once and there were 2 men and a dog (who was obviously lost) at that gig. The only seats in the Academy are upstairs as far as I know. Theres also an Academy 2 (which I have never been in) which may be completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

marwelie wrote: »
    I'm a wheelchair user so I'm always put upstairs. Only ever been downstairs once and there were 2 men and a dog (who was obviously lost) at that gig. The only seats in the Academy are upstairs as far as I know. Theres also an Academy 2 (which I have never been in) which may be completely different.

Academy 2 would hold about 350 people i'd guess. I saw Chapel club there and there's a few booths you can sit at if you get there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

Good venue I like it!
    can get a bit sweaty when a full house is dancing but shouldnt every gig!

up stairs is much better with leather couches etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If you wanna get a good view downstairs, get in kinda early and stand by the railing around the edge. Can lean on that and it's elevated from the main floor so noone blocking your view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Do you have to ask to go upstairs? If so, who do you ask?

Only been there once and was wondering this at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Do you have to ask to go upstairs? If so, who do you ask?

Only been there once and was wondering this at the time.

Sometimes they give out wristbands to the first people who want them. Sometimes it's guestlist only upstairs. Depends on the gig.

I find that standing on the raised platform at the far end of the venue is handy if it's really packed. Better view from there than being stuck in the middle of the main floor behind some tall lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

It is really horrible for sold out gigs. Very crammed. Sound is decent but always very loud. Bring plugs if you value your hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

They have one bouncer who, for my money, is a little too eager to throw crowd surfers on to the ground. He's regularly at the front of the stage, and I noticed him at this sort of thing at Stiff Little Fingers on Saturday.

blastman wrote: »
    They have one bouncer who, for my money, is a little too eager to throw crowd surfers on to the ground. He's regularly at the front of the stage, and I noticed him at this sort of thing at Stiff Little Fingers on Saturday.

In fairness anyone who is stupid enough to crowd surf deserves all they get....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I like the Academy for gigs, but feel it does get a bit crowded. So its hard to get around at times (bar,toilets). Be great if the based the max number of people on the areas excluding the walkways and the bar area, just the standing area in front of the stage. I find the Button Factory my personal favourite for a comfortable, easy to get around venue.

Its actually in the Academy 2? Didn't even know there was more then one. Is it the same, just different location? Thanks for the replies so far, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 formernyer

Academy 2 is a smaller room in the basement of the Academy. It's not the best venue in town - it has a low ceiling and columns in the middle of the floor in front of the stage. It can be OK if it's not too crowded though.

Oh no :( so where's the best place to stand for a gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Best place to stand? You get a good view from near the bar, behind the sound desk. The reason I love the Academy, though, is how sweaty, cramped and downright manic it gets when it's sold out. Enter Shikari last year was one of the best gigs I've ever been to... something about the place just can't be recreated in the o2 or the Olympia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Best place to stand? You get a good view from near the bar, behind the sound desk.
    Don't let the secret out!

There should always be decent sound near sound desks in general. You can also usually get your hands on the setlist, either to see or take home. This is the normal academy though.

Downstairs academy 2 is alright too, very low ceilings, you can touch them. Its more like being in a bar that was holding a gig for the night, like arthurs day in pubs. There are snugs around the sides. There are lots of pillars you can lean against while standing, and there is less pushing & people passing by you if you stand near them. Can be very sweaty.

Ok doesn't sounds as bad now thanks guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Squelchy wrote: »
    Very much disagree with you there.
    As a short-arse it's the worst place around for a good view and I've only been deemed worthy of Upstairs on a couple occasions.
    Can't stand the venue. Much preferred the similarly-sized Ambassador.

The Ambassador is about twice the size of the Academy :confused:

I love the Academy. Favourite gig venue in Dublin and have been to about 20 shows there. It does get a bit packed when sold out, but usually moving to one side or the other sorts you out: eg. at Billy Talent in August, I was totally squashed, but moved around to the other side and had tons of space. New Found Glory was pretty packed all-round though, except at the back. I love that you're never more than a few metres from the stage and the sound is usually really clear. Loud, though!

Downstairs... not so good if you're looking for a high-end production, but if you're into small, casual gigs it's good. Band has to walk through the crowd to get to the stage :D Sound is pretty good for a small room.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Ambassador is great for gigs. Just a shame they don't seem to put on so many these days. The Academy 2 is grand cosy venue. The one downside is views in certain areas as stated which can be a pain if you get there latest and the place is packed out. However get there early and stage center you will be in spitting distance of the artists it's quite cool and intimate like that. Enjoy your gig.

Strumms wrote: »
    The Ambassador is great for gigs. Just a shame they don't seem to put on so many these days. The Academy 2 is grand cosy venue. The one downside is views in certain areas as stated which can be a pain if you get there latest and the place is packed out. However get there early and stage center you will be in spitting distance of the artists it's quite cool and intimate like that. Enjoy your gig.

Wow brilliant, thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Ambassador is great for gigs. Just a shame they don't seem to put on so many these days.
    Don't think there are any gigs there at all now. There was that dead body show thing, and an old arcade game thing, and now its a santa show. Its just museum type shows and not gigs I think.
    However get there early and stage center you will be in spitting distance of the artists it's quite cool and intimate like that.
    Yeah, there is no real area between stage & the crowd where you usually have bouncers, its like the stage is just a foot high or so. You would probably easily meet them if you wanted to get stuff signed or anything after.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Was at a folk gig in the academy 2 the other week, Anthrax played upstairs. Terrible scheduling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Ambassador is great for gigs. Just a shame they don't seem to put on so many these days.

They haven't run gigs for years in there. Shame though - saw Godspeed and Sigur Ros about ten years ago in there - both spectacular gigs.

rubadub wrote: »
    Don't think there are any gigs there at all now. There was that dead body show thing, and an old arcade game thing, and now its a santa show. Its just museum type shows and not gigs I think.

Yeah, there is no real area between stage & the crowd where you usually have bouncers, its like the stage is just a foot high or so. You would probably easily meet them if you wanted to get stuff signed or anything after.

Sounds cool I'd love to get to meet the band. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They haven't run gigs for years in there. Shame though - saw Godspeed and Sigur Ros about ten years ago in there - both spectacular gigs.

I loved that venue for gigs. Ryan Adams, The Lemonheads, The La's and Jimmy Cliff all spring to mind and ohhh Morrissey back in 2000 I think. I have fond memories of going to the cinema there back with my friends and family which was also a bit of a kick going back for a gig.

Advertisement