Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs in The Academy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I was talking to somebody in mcd asking why they don't hold gigs there anymore as it was a class venue. Apparently it's an absolute logistical nightmare in terms of getting equipment in and out off to get things set up. I have been to some absolutely great gigs there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

superblu wrote: »
    I was talking to somebody in mcd asking why they don't hold gigs there anymore as it was a class venue. Apparently it's an absolute logistical nightmare in terms of getting equipment in and out off to get things set up. I have been to some absolutely great gigs there.

I worked stage crew for many a year at the dublin venues, the ambassador was falling apart, the academy is a logistical night mare... sounddesks having to go up the stairs as the lift is a tiny service lift. the abmassador was amazing as a venue, the distillers in there was possibly the most mental gig i have even been in... after die antwoord in the academy... but thats a different kind of mental

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I worked stage crew for many a year at the dublin venues, the ambassador was falling apart, the academy is a logistical night mare... sounddesks having to go up the stairs as the lift is a tiny service lift. the abmassador was amazing as a venue, the distillers in there was possibly the most mental gig i have even been in... after die antwoord in the academy... but thats a different kind of mental

I was at that too. It was absolutely brilliant. I totally forgotten about it. It was a Sunday night. Westmeath had beaten Laois to win Leinster. Think it was 2004. My abiding memory was some lad in a Westmeath jersey rocking out to "die on a rope" Phenomenal stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

superblu wrote: »
    I was at that too. It was absolutely brilliant. I totally forgotten about it. It was a Sunday night. Westmeath had beaten Laois to win Leinster. Think it was 2004. My abiding memory was some lad in a Westmeath jersey rocking out to "die on a rope" Phenomenal stuff.

it was all over the radio the next day, this unknown band called the distillers with the street half blocked outside for fans thinking it wouldnt sell out trying to get tickets, of three friends that i went with i was the only one who lasted the whole gig, they all got battered in the pit as the gig progressed, she spat and got me in the mouth... I still claim it was kinda a kiss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

dan185 wrote: »
    Was at a folk gig in the academy 2 the other week, Anthrax played upstairs. Terrible scheduling!

And Anthrax rocked the place :D

It's a small venue but you'll see & hear fine in it.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement