Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Courses

• 14-11-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Ok please help if you can.

I have a BA in History and Geography, 2.1 Honours

Im agonising over whether to go for Primary or Secondary Teaching next!
    So im going to apply for both.
    PDE in Eire and both in UK

Im not oo enthusiastic about PDE in Ireland as i only have 42 points on the NUI points scale!

So UK.....

How in Gods name do you find out information about potential grants/bursaries that i may be entitled to?? Or what Universities are the best and more likely to accept an application?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I don't know how the UK application system works but a word of advice.

Go and supervise / volunteer in both a primary and secondary school and make a decision before you invest the time and expense of embarking in a course and moving into the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pulp_fishin

Thats the thing, iv supervised and subbed in both so im open to whichever one i can get into.
    I know how to apply to the colleges i just cant find info on grants etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

You can find info on bursaries for training in the UK here:

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/initial/b00204256/itt-funding-and-allocations/bursaries

You are also entitled to a loan to cover your fees, but unless you are a UK citizen you won't be entitled to any other grants or loans. All applications for UK courses (both primary and secondary) are done through the GTTR:

http://www.gttr.ac.uk/

I don't think you can apply for both primary and secondary at the same time, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it as the universities will not look favorably on your application if you do. Also important to note that from this year you now have to have passed the QTS skills tests before you start the course (they are tests in numeracy and literacy).
    The primary PGCE in the UK is very competitive and you will need to have extensive experience observing in primary schools or working with young children for most universities to even consider you for interview. Also, the deadline date for initial applications is 6th December and the places fill up pretty fast once the interviews start in January.

Advertisement