Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downsizing career after having a baby

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Do you know much about that area?
    To be honest, no I don't. I know Tallaght has some dodgy areas but by and large it has a worse reputation than it deserves.

Open to being told the area's a drug infested, high-crime area that happens to be in Tallaght of course but that's a nice house for something you could afford for about €350 or so a month on a 35 year mortgage. For a family of 4, you'd actually be able to pay that on job seekers. You'd only have a little over €1,200 a month to live on after the mortgage was paid but, while it wouldn't be luxurious, you'd survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

seamus wrote: »
    Can you expand on this?

The current taxation system allows for one spouse to take all of the tax credits, giving some wiggle room to afford for the other spouse to stay at home.

Not so I'm afraid with the way the tax bands work, if either person is taxed at the higher rate. At the moment, tax individualisation along with incremental changes in tax policy with every budget have meant that one-income married couple with children now pay €6,240 more in tax each year more than a two-income married couple on the exact same earnings. It specifically makes single-income familes pay more, ie where one partner works, and the other minds the children. Previous to that overhaul by Charlie McCreevy in 1999, it was the other way around. Families with children where one parent stayed at home were incentivised before tax indivualisation came in.

See papers and newspaper items on it here, bear in mind the figures now are even worse than what is in these articles, as tax is now higher and cutoffs are lower.

http://www.thelifeinstitute.net/am_cms_media/ppffwherewomenworktables.pdf

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/pdfs/Tax_Individualisation_Iona_Institute.pdf

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/45000plus-couples-face-tax-blow-if-one-job-goes-1576301.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Sleepy wrote: »
    To be honest, no I don't. I know Tallaght has some dodgy areas but by and large it has a worse reputation than it deserves.

Open to being told the area's a drug infested, high-crime area that happens to be in Tallaght of course but that's a nice house for something you could afford for about €350 or so a month on a 35 year mortgage.
    I worked in Tallaght for many years and still have a lot of friends there so I have a fair idea of whats what but rather than drag the thread even further off topic I'll let ya do your own research on that particular area should you decide to buy there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I worked in Tallaght for many years and still have a lot of friends there so I have a fair idea of whats what but rather than drag the thread even further off topic I'll let ya do your own research on that particular area should you decide to buy there

I live in tallaght....we moved here in 2005...neither of us are from the area...but we've really settled...there are the rough places...which we don't live in... but this blanket derogatory view of tallaght is way out of touch.

As for the op...its a fair enough question you're asking. I had always planned to work though the kids childhood....I worked really hard to get to where I was at ibid work and I was really good at it. my first sons birth coincided with the economic downturn so I was put on a 3 day week and then I had my second we couldnt afford 2 creche fees so I gave it up. everyone was shocked...my boss, my family...I was so not the stay at home type....but I love my life now. money is really tight but life is blooming good :D

I live in tallaght....we moved here in 2005...neither of us are from the area...but we've really settled...there are the rough places...which we don't live in... but this blanket derogatory view of tallaght is way out of touch.
    I don't have a "blanket derogatory view" so I hope you don't think I do :) I've worked in Tallaght, Ballymun, Inchicore, Smithfield, Mountjoy sq, parts of Finglas and I grew up in an awwwwful part of Wexford and lived in the baaaad part of Clonmel so I never judge a place without knowing about it and doing me own homework

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I don't have a "blanket derogatory view" so I hope you don't think I do :) I've worked in Tallaght, Ballymun, Inchicore, Smithfield, Mountjoy sq, parts of Finglas and I grew up in an awwwwful part of Wexford and lived in the baaaad part of Clonmel so I never judge a place without knowing about it and doing me own homework

Ah I know...its not you as such its just generally people hear tallaght and alarm bells go off. our neighbours are the best in the world on both sides if us. they've really taken us under their wing as the newbies who ain't got a clue lol. I know you worked in the area but that's not the same as living you.must agree. I worked in town for 17 years but could never say what its like to live there.

We have everything around us....its a neighbourhood as opposed to a housing estate if you get me. the creche my kid is in is fantastic and the school he's signed up togt a fantastic inspection report last year.

Ah I know...its not you as such its just generally people hear tallaght and alarm bells go off. our neighbours are the best in the world on both sides if us. they've really taken us under their wing as the newbies who ain't got a clue lol. I know you worked in the area but that's not the same as living you.must agree. I worked in town for 17 years but could never say what its like to live there.

We have everything around us....its a neighbourhood as opposed to a housing estate if you get me. the creche my kid is in is fantastic and the school he's signed up togt a fantastic inspection report last year.

I know working is not the same as living but for example I have friends in Kingswood , Old Bawn and Killenarden (I'm sure you've heard of there!) so they would give me an idea from hanging out with them going out there etc. There's good and bad areas as you said. The house Sleepy posted - it's easy to just pluck a house from Daft based on price knowing nothing about the area. That was the point I was making but I would have asked the same no matter where it was not just because it's "Tallaght" :)

Advertisement