Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Possibilities? Any?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Ok i have a 2.1 BA Honours Degree in History and Geography.

Im applying to every teaching course this side of the equator.

BUT

I dont necessarily have to go the teaching route.....I WANT WORK!!

So im open to any other potential avenues

So, my question, is there any Postgrad/Masters courses that i can apply for out of the Humanities area???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Ok i have a 2.1 BA Honours Degree in History and Geography.

Im applying to every teaching course this side of the equator.

BUT

I dont necessarily have to go the teaching route.....I WANT WORK!!

So im open to any other potential avenues

So, my question, is there any Postgrad/Masters courses that i can apply for out of the Humanities area???

A Master's won't necessarily make you more employable or lead to a job, unless it is in an applied, specific area. Then, you might have a greater chance at a job in that field, but no guarantees.

What are you interested in doing? You could look at programmes in business, management, journalism, marketing, even law? With a humanities degree you have a good number of options, the challenge is actually narrowing down the possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pulp_fishin

Thats true i understand it would have to be a specific area...
    i suppose i just need to go through all the courses offered by individual colleges and see if they accept students with an Arts degree.
    Narrowing down my interests has been a problem for years, i have no direct passion (academically) but have an interest in all the areas you suggest and more.
    For instance i looked into doing a msc in Environmental Health and safety as i felt i would be suited to it and there could be good job opportunities but i was refused because my degree did not include a science subject...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Thats true i understand it would have to be a specific area...
    i suppose i just need to go through all the courses offered by individual colleges and see if they accept students with an Arts degree.
    Narrowing down my interests has been a problem for years, i have no direct passion (academically) but have an interest in all the areas you suggest and more.
    For instance i looked into doing a msc in Environmental Health and safety as i felt i would be suited to it and there could be good job opportunities but i was refused because my degree did not include a science subject...

Perhaps it would be worth your while investigating if there are any conversion-type courses that would give you some background in science(s) if you think that's something you'd be interested in? I can't say I know of any off-hand, most people I know that changed direction like that went & did another undergraduate degree :(

With most of the courses I listed I wouldn't have thought they'd be too squeamish about accepting Arts degrees, except if it was a course with a very heavy quantitative focus which you may not have the background in, for example, or there is some kind of specific prior knowledge you need. You just need to do some digging around. But none of us can really help you in too concrete a way unless you decide yourself what it is that you're interested in doing, rather than a generic desire to work in a field 'where there a jobs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

gutenberg wrote: »
    But none of us can really help you in too concrete a way unless you decide yourself what it is that you're interested in doing, rather than a generic desire to work in a field 'where there a jobs'.
    Indeed.

pulp_fishin, if you have no idea what it is you want to do, then this thread is going to be of very little help to you. You need to go away and do some research and come back with some specific questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement