Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Hard Drive

Options
  • 14-11-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I have an Acer Laptop and to me it looks like a dead hard drive . I have an RMA ready to go but I just don't want to send it off in case I have got it wrong . I have two pictures attached and just looking for input before I send it off because if its my mistake they want £71.50 to repair the laptop .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

I have an Acer Laptop and to me it looks like a dead hard drive . I have an RMA ready to go but I just don't want to send it off in case I have got it wrong . I have two pictures attached and just looking for input before I send it off because if its my mistake they want £71.50 to repair the laptop .

congratulations you bought an acer laptop... possibly the worst brand of laptop you can buy... sorry mate

yup it looks like your hard drive is indeed dead.

if you had any valuable data on it its very likely its gone now. if it's still under warranty then they should fix it for free... if not just go buy a new hard drive online and replace the broken one with the new one. it will cost less to post a new drive to you than it would to post the laptop back to acer to get fixed.

depending on your model of laptop you will need a 2.5inch drive.

if its a fairly new laptop you'll likely need a SATA 2.5 inch drive

if it's ancient then its more likely an ide 2.5 inch drive you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IS laptop under gaurantee, if not just buy a new drive.
    IS there important data on it,
    try freeze trick,
    seal hd in plastic bag,
    see
    http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.ie/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html
    why pay 75 euro ,you can buy a new hd for 80 euro.
    unless drive is very old its a sata 2.5inch drive.
    I have an old sata drive,80gig, it only works in a powered caddy unit.ie with aN External power supply to sata power port.
    Doesn,t work in a usb caddy .ie one that uses usb cable for power .

JUST cos a drive doesnt boot an os doesnt mean it cant be acessed or used as a storage device.
    Any pc or laptop has 2 years gaurantee under eu law.
    use a ziiplock,sealed bag to stop condensation.

try and acess drive use livecd, eg mint linux, cdr disk,
    IF drive works copy any important file to a usb drive , or even a usb
    pen drive.
    older version mint x86 version fits on 1 cdr, 630meg file.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

congratulations you bought an acer laptop... possibly the worst brand of laptop you can buy... sorry mate

Mod note: No need for the smart comments, your input is appreciated but those comments are unnecesary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Cheers for all the input . The laptop is less then a year old and I was 99% sure the drive was dead / dying thats why I wanted a second opinion because if its software related they charge 71.50 to put it right . I have all my RMA numbers and just have to get in contact with UPS to come and collect it . Its under warranty so I don't think I'll bother paying for a drive when I can get one for free . One the subject of Data its is all backed up I do it once a week with DVD disks .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

Fairly certain that it's banjaxed alright, let UPS come an pick it up, you'll have it back within 2 weeks working just the way it was when you started it up for the first time.... with all that norton/mcafee/acer crap installed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yeah thats a failed disk looking at the WD tools diagnosis, should be replaced under warranty for you at no cost :) .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I got the laptop back today and its 100% working cheers for all the help .

Advertisement