Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chadwicks Athlone Closing at the end of the Month

Options
  • 14-11-2012 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Was out there yesterday and the show is over and all done will be gone by the end of November , They have been in Athlone since 1971 - :(

Was inevitable when they left a prime spot near the Town Centre to move to the back of an Industrial Area.
    People genuinely thought they had left town and could not find them..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That's unfortunate. Just goes to show how hard they were hit at the end of the boo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

They're trying to keep it open as a plumbing centre only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's only room for one major builders providers in a town such as Athlone and that's going to be Ganlys, some great pricing in Ganlys but brutal inventory management in that place.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

While Ganleys might be good on pricing, I know a lot of lads that have a preference for Chadwicks. It baffles me how they could be downsizing or closing up. It's more of a shock than anything else as no town needs that in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Itzy wrote: »
    While Ganleys might be good on pricing, I know a lot of lads that have a preference for Chadwicks. It baffles me how they could be downsizing or closing up. It's more of a shock than anything else as no town needs that in these times.

+1 on that.
    During the building boom, I ordered roofing timber from Ganleys as they were cheaper than Chadwicks.
    What was delivered was absolute crap - there wasn't one straight bit of timber on the full lorryload.

The next delivery was from Chadwicks - a little more expensive, but miles ahead of Ganleys in terms of quality.
    You definately get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Jesus thats terrible the hear. I always bought my solid wood and sheet materials there. The one thing about ganleys is that you wait a half hour to be served at the trade counter and another half hour before they come to you in the yard.

Always preferred the service in Chadwicks. No messing about when you needed something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Like their retail cousins, it's probably got a lot to do with upward only rents and lower footfall

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/atlantic-homecare-placed-into-examinership-554322.html

I'd say Chadwicks has a lot of problems trying to get lads to pay off accounts though, another reason for their cash shortage.

Advertisement