Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoke upstairs after lighting stove downstairs??

• 14-11-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

Had my old gas fire replaced with a wood burning inset stove. Initially there was an issue with the flue liner. It was getting stuck 3/4 way down the chimney before the bend. Got the bulider around to examine it and he said it didn't need a liner "you could put a furnace in there and it would be fine" I think he said so we went ahead and got the stove fitted relutantly without the liner.
    Been using it a lot the last six months but previous night there was a slight smell of smoke upstairs. Last night it was terrible. We had to put the fire out and leave the windows open the whole night and vacate the house.
    Even now today there's still a smokey smell in the master bedroom which is above the sitting room where the stove resides.
    I had a look up at the chimney top last night and there was smoke bellowing out the top. Any ideas on the best course of action to take here folks? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Clean the chimney, sounds like you had a slight chimney fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

I suggest that you have the chimney properly inspected, depending on the age of the house you could have a mild to serious problem.

The cause of the liner stopping should have been investigated at the time, it could be a piece of mortar at the joint of one of the old type clay chimney flues or the flue could be out of line allowing the smoke to get into the structure of the chimney and come back into the room through joints in the block work.

The new type clay flue liners are socketed to ensure they stay together unlike the old type which were placed on top of each other depending on the back filling to keep them aligned.

I'm not ruling out tommy2bad's advice about getting the chimney cleaned because if you are using the stove properly you should not see smoke bellowing out of the chimney.

Advertisement