Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming in the US with Ready to Go Vodafone

Options
  • 14-11-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I'm heading to the US this week. I have a ready to go vodafone mobile (a fairly recent Xperia). I went in to a vodafone shop and got roaming activated. However the assistant said that '... the network may or may not work in the USA...can't be certain with ready to go...'. Does anyone know for certain if ready to go roaming will work in the USA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It might help to state where in the US you are going.

I was in Northern Arizona a few weeks ago and there was almost no phone coverage at all, no matter what you were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

get the phone unlocked and get a t-mobile or at&t SIM card when you're out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Riprock

Paulw, I'm heading to Miami, Las Vegas then San Francisco. That's a good idea re unlocking and getting a sim card but I won't get a chance to do that now, heading early in the morning.

Riprock wrote: »
    Paulw, I'm heading to Miami, Las Vegas then San Francisco.

You'll only be able to roam on the GSM networks (AT&T and T-mobile) it's stupidly expensive as well, I've done it and costs a fortune.

Save yourself the hassle and get a pay as you go sim card and you'll be grand.

Riprock wrote: »
    Paulw, I'm heading to Miami, Las Vegas then San Francisco. That's a good idea re unlocking and getting a sim card but I won't get a chance to do that now, heading early in the morning.

Ring vodafone now and have them give you the code and unlock it. Simples!

otherwise get a cheapo $20 phone out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Riprock

Oh right, I'm not in any way technical, I thought you would have to go to one of those small shops you see off O'Connell street to unlock! I'll try that, thanks.

Advertisement