Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sea Levels will Rise but land also rises

• 14-11-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My Theory as to why sea level rises will not affect the world:

Sea Levels rise when ice melts & the more the sea rises the more the water rises.

But if you want to find a dinosaur bone from a few yrs ago you have to dig down 10ft for it.
    This must mean therefor that land also rises over time if you think about it

So yes Sea levels will rise, but so will the land and this will ultimately cancel
    eachother out and we won't have to worry about sea level rising

What is your opinion in this matter ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I think the land rises slower than the sea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

But the bottom of the ocean sits on solid earth. That will push the water up in even further. We're all going to drown! What if the sky starts pushing down as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

tides coming in dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Simple, Simon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Geology fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

But sure of course the land rises when the sea rises, because the land floats on the sea. It's called Archimedes principle duh!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Simon.1984 wrote: »

Sea Levels rise when ice melts & the more the sea rises the more the water rises.

But if you want to find a dinosaur bone from a few yrs ago you have to dig down 10ft for it.

So yes Sea levels will rise, but so will the land and this will ultimately cancel

F. Must try harder.

Also, everyone knows that dinosaur bones are very light and float on soil. So the dinosaur bones have been rising over time too. They used to be miles below the ground where dinosaurs lived, but now they are close to emerging. I read a report in New Scientist magazine that the top killer of human beings by the year 2064 will be dinosaur bones unexpectedly surfacing and wreaking havoc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

is this a call to abolish ceiling fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Best solution for rising sea levels are to pump out all the oil reserves and backfill sea water in there. Two bullets with one bird, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I think pasta tastes better with melted cheese on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

If dinosaurs were killed by global warming where are all the 100 million year old fridges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Eh, I'm no geologist, but wouldn't it be the case that the rise of sea levels with the current rate of global warming/ ozone depletion can happen in a matter of decades, whereas a rise in the land would take millions of years? And technically wouldn't the seabed also be rising along with the above water landmass, cancelling out any creditability to your argument that we can escape rising waters with a rise in the land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Eric Bristow

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabbage_Head

Depends on what sauce you are using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

But sure of course the land rises when the sea rises, because the land floats on the sea. It's called Archimedes principle duh!

Actually the sea floats on land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Excellent physics thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

To combat sea level rising we could construct a man made ocean by gouging out a vast chunk of uninhabited land in Russia or the like.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

But no new land is actually made. The land has to come from other land, these dinosaur bones are only found ten feet down because land/sand/soil/etc was transported by wind/rivers.sea and depositedon top of the bones. So while land may gorw in one area its also getting smaller in other...
    Rising sea levels still win either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Where To wrote: »
    If dinosaurs were killed by global warming where are all the 100 million year old fridges?

when the asteroid that hit earth 63 million years ago wiped out the dinosaurs but the all spark cube embedded in that asteroid brought all the 100 million year old fridges to life and they transformed into robots and left earth. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Considering your username, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on pizza with melted pasta on top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Actually the sea floats on land

Woah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

RADIUS wrote: »
    To combat sea level rising we could construct a man made ocean by gouging out a vast chunk of uninhabited land in Russia or the like.

Simples.

Suppose it's time to start building Megasaurasdiggers then...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

But the bottom of the ocean sits on solid earth. That will push the water up in even further. We're all going to drown! What if the sky starts pushing down as well?

The sky's falling??

By Toutatis thats grim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

If you want to see a dinosaur bone, get Twink to give Gay Byrne a lap dance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

Wossack wrote: »
    is this a call to abolish ceiling fans?

no, we'll need to use those as propellers when the sea rises

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bb1234567 wrote: »
    But no new land is actually made.
    :rolleyes:

FFS Don't you know how the Icelandic banks crashed ?

Land speculation. The government had a great run of selling islands that didn't yet exist. Nice little earner. And then there was a typo in the memo and someone started up the wrong volcano. So instead of the planned new suburb of Reykjavik just popping up in the bay they grounded all the aircraft in Europe.

And that why we called in all the loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Where To wrote: »

Silly boy. The Earth is only 8,000 years old and the dinosaur bones are put there by the Devil to test your faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Down sweat it. The nuclear bombs will have got us first.
    Either that or the unfriendly Aliens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You're 100% correct Ralphie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I think you missed an important factor :

Land doesn't rise. Biomass and volcanic eruptions etc will generate new layrs of land on top of older layers.
    The weight of these new layer slowly pushes the older layers down into the earth mantle, where the oldest layers will melt. The material may eventually re-surface in volcanic eruptions.

So, no, generally speaking the land doesn't rise.

That said, certain landmasses will rise when the ice currently covering them does melt, Greenland and the Antarctic. Once the weight of the ice on these continents/islands disappears, they will rise.

That's not going to help anyone in the Maldives much, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The tide is high, but I'm holding on, and I'm going be your number one , number .. AH ****!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Shenshen wrote: »
    I think you missed an important factor :

Land doesn't rise. Biomass and volcanic eruptions etc will generate new layrs of land on top of older layers.
    The weight of these new layer slowly pushes the older layers down into the earth mantle, where the oldest layers will melt. The material may eventually re-surface in volcanic eruptions.

So, no, generally speaking the land doesn't rise.

That said, certain landmasses will rise when the ice currently covering them does melt, Greenland and the Antarctic. Once the weight of the ice on these continents/islands disappears, they will rise.

That's not going to help anyone in the Maldives much, though.
    Dry land floats, it's less dense than water, that's why it's above sea. So it doesn't matter how much the sea rises, the land will always float.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Has anyone thought about the fact that ice can be used as land too?

Surely we can just cool the temperature of the sea's, lakes and oceans using dry ice (or some form of freeze ray) and we'll have loads of land to live on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

All these conflicting theories, who ever would have thought science could be so complicated ..... Icelandic cheese on pasta created a Market meltdown ?? This stops a crust floating somewhere ... Oh Kay tell me again..... I blame the government joe

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

positron wrote: »
    Best solution for rising sea levels are to pump out all the oil reserves and backfill sea water in there. Two bullets with one bird, etc.

And we could store all the oil in large jerrycans and place them where the melted ice caps were! This would stop the land rising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Cienciano wrote: »
    Dry land floats, it's less dense than water, that's why it's above sea. So it doesn't matter how much the sea rises, the land will always float.

Well duh, we all know that.
    But what happens when it rains, or if by some freak chance all the cows and sheep take a piss at the same time - land gets wet, we go down faster than than the titanic.
    Simple laws of physics, bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'll get back to you on that when I stop laughing.:)

In the meantime, you can occupy yourself by doing a bit of Googling. Check out "orogeny", "isostatic recovery", "postglacial rebound" and ask yourself where a few million cubic kilometres of ice will go when it melts.:rolleyes:

Advertisement