Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vigil for Savita Halappavanar: 4PM Saturday, Irish Embassy, Grosvenor Place SW1X 7HR

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, to be fair, the C case was a perfect case to highlight the issue and returned a verdict that the failure to legislate put Ireland in breach of Article 8 of the ECHR. What's happened since? Enda's asked for a report and promised he might look at it.

Meanwhile, a case in October 2010 introduced a hypothetical loophole into Irish copyright law and the Irish government signed legislation into law to resolve it in February 2012, citing obligations under EU law as the motive. So when the government wants to legislate, it can do so in 14 months from the ruling in question.

I'm not prepared to believe the statements that there's no issue really - because if there is no issue, then there's no basis other than malpractice for either this incident to have happened or for the incident that led to the C case to have happened. I'm tired of reading defences for the backwards state of Irish legislation and the profoundly stupid "irish solution" that we've had to put up with in lieu of legislation to codify the x case ruling into law. Medical council guidelines do not trump the law, and shouldn't be expected to do so in a country where our continued membership of the EU required an exception to be defined to reassure all the members of Youth Defence and Precious Life that thos dirty Eurocrats wouldn't go forcing us to legalise abortion. And that's before you even mention that the Irish Medical Council's recommendation that a doctor who carries out an abortion being struck off the register was accepted by the IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it's just taken the wrong thing to happen for everyone to come out and protest for legislation. there are protests every now and again in dublin but like the protest the other night, they seem to be hijacked by hardliners and avoided by the masses.
    that's where these protests are different as the ordinary people are coming out in force, and more people are probably contacting their TDs about it.
    they should've been badgering their TDs about it for the past God knows how many years, but it's taken what happened in Galway for them to cop on.

Fysh, while i agree with you that there should be legislation, we're going to have to agree to disagree on what happened this week. not all the facts are out about the case yet, but from what i can see, it's a med malpractice case as treatment was delayed or refused for questionably 'moral' reasons. if i'm wrong, i'll be the first to hold my hands up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

We're agreed that it sounds like medical malpractice - but I think we disagree on whether the legal status of medical terminations is clear, because the more I read about it the more doublethink I find from the likes of the IMC and others. I think it's patently not clear, and it's likely that this ambiguity contributed towards the circumstances of Savita Halappavanar's death as well as needless trauma and distress for however many women have had to travel (as in the C case) to avail of a service that has been ruled to be constituionally valid but not yet enacted in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Right, anyone else going tomorrow? I am, and would be great to see some more familiar faces? PM me or those who have my mobile give me a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Right, anyone else going tomorrow? I am, and would be great to see some more familiar faces? PM me or those who have my mobile give me a bell.

I'll probably be there but going along to the protest at the Israeli embassy first re what's going on in Palestine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I should be around tomorrow. I'll see you if I am

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Did any of you make it to this? I was there with my girlfriend who said there was a bigger crowd that the first one. Sending four police vans was probably a bit over the top though. If anyone ended up getting arrested it would've been the woman wearing the Union Jack hat who was shouting "baby killers".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

iambrazil wrote: »
    Did any of you make it to this? I was there with my girlfriend who said there was a bigger crowd that the first one. Sending four police vans was probably a bit over the top though. If anyone ended up getting arrested it would've been the woman wearing the Union Jack hat who was shouting "baby killers".
    I attended. Yes, baby killers lady got a lot of interviews from press ( I thought she might have been Sr Augustus from Leyton who has been in the news lately but not sure!). Bigger crowd than the Thursday night protest but tbh not as many as I expected there to be. Ludicrous the police sending four riot vans to what was an incredibly peaceful vigil (screams at one point from a girl who set her hair on fire with her candle). Some inspiring speakers (didn't get the name of the lady who spoke about protesting in 1983 aged 23?) and started and ended with a minutes silence. Quite a bit of media presence, but sadly and irritatingly in my opinion, the SWP were inappropriate in noisily milling through the crowd selling their newspaper during the speakers.

Especially proud of the Irish contingent who turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Quite a bit of media presence, but sadly and irritatingly in my opinion, the SWP were inappropriate in noisily milling through the crowd selling their newspaper during the speakers.

Especially proud of the Irish contingent who turned out.

the SWP presence was definitely a bit of a low point. I think I was offered the paper three times and by the end they had a full table set up on the corner. I'm sympathetic to the cause and all but it wasn't the time or place.

nice to see a celeb in attendance too...the guy who played Dessie in Moone Boy.

It's interesting to see that Sinn Fein are submitting a motion to the Dail tomorrow regarding X case legislation while James Reilly is trying to push any response far enough down the line that public awareness drops off.

Of particular interest to me is that, according to this article, 50 MEPs have already been calling on the government to sort this mess out, including the Chairman of the Women's Rights and Equality committee, so if you haven't contacted the MEPs listed above, do so. If they try to fob you off, demand that they listen and represent you as their peers are doing for other citizens who are angry about this. We might not be able to badger TDs directly but we can keep the pressure on them and help force them to act as they should have done 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement