Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations?

• 14-11-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hey guys, im looking at 3 bikes at the moment and was looking for some advice. Firstly the bikes!

1) Kawasaki ZRX 400 (98)
    2) Kawasaki ER5 (03)
    3) Suzuki GS 500 (96)

Asking price for the bikes are €650/€900/€850 respectively.
    To fill ye in on some details im 24 and it'll be my first bike (although ive been driving for years from reading around this apparently makes no difference). Im being drawn towards the ER5 atm.

If anyone has experience with any of these can ye shed some light on which would be best suited? They are roughly around the same cc but ive seen the ZRX is an insurance group 12(?) bike (does that mean higher insurance). What would ye think the insurance would be like for um?

Primarily worried about insurance and handleability for a novice. Also, i know the price of the bikes isnt sky high, should i be skeptical of this.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

To be honest, I'd price the insurance for all three bikes before going any further - as a new rider, you're likely to get the cheapest quote from Liberty (formerly Quinn), and they can be very picky about what they'll insure for a first-timer.

Insurance group 12 is one of the higher groups, so yep, it would be more expensive than a bike in a lower group.

Can't help you with the bikes themselves, but best of luck in getting on the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Personally I would take the ER5 from that lot even if it does seem very cheap at that money. But I would take a Honda Hornet 600cc over the lot of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Personally I would take the ER5 from that lot even if it does seem very cheap at that money. But I would take a Honda Hornet 600cc over the lot of them...

Tbh i was looking at a honda hornet initially but was put off with the power and maybe, that it would be tricky to handle first time. Saying that id probably spend the extra quid to get one instead if they were somewhat learner friendly.

Not much difference with a hornet and a ER5 apart from the cc as they will handle much the same but you are gonna get it restricted are you not seen as its your 1st bike so the cc will not come into play as much. The Hornet is a very nice 1st time bike and looks great too, with alot of parts available. Ring up the insurance companies and see what the quote is on a restricted hornet.

Another good bike is the CB500F, really good bike to start out on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Twins like the GS and ER are nice and smooth and have a good power delivery.
    They are also a lot cheaper than a Hornet and for a learner would be fine bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Tbh i was looking at a honda hornet initially but was put off with the power and maybe, that it would be tricky to handle first time. Saying that id probably spend the extra quid to get one instead if they were somewhat learner friendly.

Not at all man, the Hornet is a great bike!! It how I started off (as did many others) they're very durable, very flickable and very forgiving. Fantastic bike!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

ER5 would be my pick out of those for a new rider.

Should also consider a CB400, great bike.

Thanks for the input lads.

Gave Liberty a bell today for pig irons sake, got a quote of €750 for the ER5, unrestricted, TPFT. Doing the IBT in January and I asked for a rough quote for then, but the one she gave me is valid for the next 30 days so I honestly don't know if that quote factors in the IBT or not.

It took a ridiculously long time to get through the first qoute so I couldn't sum up the courage to ask for another quote for a Honda Hornet. Might try them again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

It took a ridiculously long time to get through the first qoute so I couldn't sum up the courage to ask for another quote for a Honda Hornet. Might try them again tomorrow.

It would of only taken a few seconds for her to change the bike on the quote as all the other details stay the same. Just so you know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Hey guys, im looking at 3 bikes at the moment and was looking for some advice. Firstly the bikes!

1) Kawasaki ZRX 400 (98)
    2) Kawasaki ER5 (03)
    3) Suzuki GS 500 (96)

Asking price for the bikes are €650/€900/€850 respectively.
    To fill ye in on some details im 24 and it'll be my first bike (although ive been driving for years from reading around this apparently makes no difference). Im being drawn towards the ER5 atm.

If anyone has experience with any of these can ye shed some light on which would be best suited? They are roughly around the same cc but ive seen the ZRX is an insurance group 12(?) bike (does that mean higher insurance). What would ye think the insurance would be like for um?

Primarily worried about insurance and handleability for a novice. Also, i know the price of the bikes isnt sky high, should i be skeptical of this.

Thanks guys.

Bear in mind if your buying a cheap bike that may need "a little work" like new tyres, srevice chanin sprocket & a restrictor fitted you could be looking at a bill of around 800+ straight away

Another suggestion would be a Fazer 600, cheap, comfy, nice to drive, reliable etc

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    It would of only taken a few seconds for her to change the bike on the quote as all the other details stay the same. Just so you know :p

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
    Notch000 wrote: »
    Bear in mind if your buying a cheap bike that may need "a little work" like new tyres, srevice chanin sprocket & a restrictor fitted you could be looking at a bill of around 800+ straight away

Ya this has come to mind with a good few of the bikes ive seen for sale. As far as I know (only the the ads mind you) the bikes are in working order and ready to drive, but whether they have a valid nct im not sure. you'll never know until you see it sure.

Pity im not anywhere near dublin, some fantastic deals on bikes there compared to down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Ya this has come to mind with a good few of the bikes ive seen for sale. As far as I know (only the the ads mind you) the bikes are in working order and ready to drive, but whether they have a valid nct im not sure. you'll never know until you see it sure.

Pity im not anywhere near dublin, some fantastic deals on bikes there compared to down south.

Bikes don't have NCT. So, one less thing for you to worry about.

P.C. wrote: »
    Bikes don't have NCT. So, one less thing for you to worry about.

Your joking! I took it as a given. Is there an equivalent or can you ride around on a death trap if you wish ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Your joking! I took it as a given. Is there an equivalent or can you ride around on a death trap if you wish ha.

Death trap all the way if you like, lol

Wont be long till there is a N.B.T for motorbikes in the current money grabbing climate, I mean its in the north (MOT or whatever) and the U.K so its just a matter of time before it filters down here....IMHO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If you look at bike reviews on MCN it'll tell you what insurance group it's in, can be used as a decent indication of insurance prices

Thanks for that site KamiKazi, its a really good resource for researching the bikes.

Been looking at a few honda hornets lately but there seems to be far more suzuki bandits on the market. It looks like i could pick up a bandit for quite handy money but would the hornet be a better buy (if it was id invest more).

also one question guys, im caught in 2 minds;
    1) to get a 600cc bike (restrict it) with the aim to get an unrestricted A license 6 months down the line. The thought of doing 1 test for an A1 license to only do another for an A license is putting me off more than it probably should.

or 2) Forget about the A license for now and pick up a good starter bike to learn my trade on and change it down the road if i wanted to upgrade.

Edit: oops post was all wrong as i got me bikes mixed up. Revised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

1) Kawasaki ZRX 400 (98)
    2) Kawasaki ER5 (03)
    3) Suzuki GS 500 (96)

Without seeing the bikes personally i'd defo go the ER5, due to it being a 2003

i had an er5 for about 4 years, never had any issue's with it, loved it, comfortable commuter bike

both other bikes are nice, i did ride a gs500 on holiday before, & it is similar to the er but i'd be put off by it being so old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Condition more than age is relevant to bikes.
    I wouldn't be put off by buying an older bike, some great stuff is around from that era.

Advertisement