Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How well do you know Kerry?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 4:02pm

How about a rolling quiz type thread, where a poster asks a question and the next poster must answer it before putting up their own question?

Of course, Google etc. will be used, but as there are no prizes maybe try to go without and see.

If a question is unanswered for 24 hours, them the thread can move on and the poster can come back to reveal the answer in their own time. To prevent everyone being stumped and the thread stalling.

The only rule is that the question must be linked to Kerry. They can be classic quiz type questions, when was such and such born, what river flows through X village etc. But less scientific ones welcome, more cultural and social...like name the pub on some street, what petrol is sold by the garage at some place etc.

So, to start

What townland in Tralee contains the main offices of Kerry County Council and the Motor Taxation Office?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

How about a rolling quiz type thread, where a poster asks a question and the next poster must answer it before putting up their own question?

Of course, Google etc. will be used, but as there are no prizes maybe try to go without and see.

If a question is unanswered for 24 hours, them the thread can move on and the poster can come back to reveal the answer in their own time. To prevent everyone being stumped and the thread stalling.

The only rule is that the question must be linked to Kerry. They can be classic quiz type questions, when was such and such born, what river flows through X village etc. But less scientific ones welcome, more cultural and social...like name the pub on some street, what petrol is sold by the garage at some place etc.

So, to start

What townland in Tralee contains the main offices of Kerry County Council and the Motor Taxation Office?

Without googling, I'll hazard a guess and say Ratass?

My question, what village in North Kerry had reports of moving statues in the parish church circa 1985? (this was the mid 80s phase in Ireland when every county had holy statues disco dancing!).

ongarboy wrote: »
    My question, what village in North Kerry had reports of moving statues in the parish church circa 1985? (this was the mid 80s phase in Ireland when every county had holy statues disco dancing!).

Correct with Rathass.

Asdee?

On what island off Kerry would you find these, the Cathedral Rocks?

Cathedral.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Lovely Idea for a thread!

Correct with Rathass.

Asdee?

Cathedral.jpg

Great Blasket Island :)

Where in Kerry would you find the following guys:

267584574_3d52d3ead1_z.jpg?zz=1

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Great Blasket Island :)

Where in Kerry would you find the following guys:

267584574_3d52d3ead1_z.jpg?zz=1

No! But veeeeeeery close...go again!

Yours is by the Suspension Bridge in Kenmare.

Here's an easy one, insert the name of the pub

"where is xxxx xxxxs, across from the Church, where is the Church, across from xxxx xxxxs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Dick Macks

What was the name of Bishop Casey's summer house near Inch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Asdee?

Correct!!

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    What was the name of Bishop Casey's summer house near Inch?

Correct with Dick Macks. Cheated and Googled your question - 24 hours with no response! Was it Red Cliff House?

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/bishops-caseys-former-holiday-retreat-is-sold/

Which son of Ballylongford appeared on the "Your Country Needs You" WWI recruitment poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Inishnabro. If you stop on the N70 above Kells Bay and use binoculars you can see them clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Horatio Herbert Kitchener

he was misquoted :)

4104561044_ae823a8a2f.jpg

Which son of Ballylongford appeared on the "Your Country Needs You" WWI recruitment poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lmce24

Correct with Dick Macks. Cheated and Googled your question - 24 hours with no response! Was it Red Cliff House?

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/bishops-caseys-former-holiday-retreat-is-sold/

It sure was! My friend's parents had it as the b+b

• Advertisement

Lmce24 wrote: »
    It sure was! My friend's parents had it as the b+b

Ok to try and link these questions...
    That Kitchener poster was also the basis for a conscription poster for another army.
    Where in Kerry would you find a memorial to the Irish who died in a conflict in Asia which under conscription to that army ?

kingdumb wrote: »
    Ok to try and link these questions...
    That Kitchener poster was also the basis for a conscription poster for another army.
    Where in Kerry would you find a memorial to the Irish who died in a conflict in Asia which under conscription to that army ?

Court house in tralee I do believe....?!

Lmce24 wrote: »
    Court house in tralee I do believe....?!

More info please!

Which army, which conflict?

More info please!

Crimea....or something like that!

@Lmce24

No its not the Crimea/Tralee court house.
    The Irish who fought in that did so under the British[ plus is Crimea is not in Asia is it ?].

If I told you that a google of kerry+the conflict would reveal the answer. Figuring out the the army should be easy, look at the Kitchener image that is very similar to another '____ needs you' conscription poster, possibly more well known than the Kitchener original.
    More info please!

If I told you that a google of kerry+conflict would reveal the answer, figuring out the the army should be easy, look at the Kitchener image that is very similar to another '.... needs you' conscription poster, possibly more well known than the Kitchener original.

No idea where Crimea is but one of the pillars is for India so British army

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Burma and Killarney outside the East Ave.

http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.org/b2kilar1.htm

Just a point , would these men have been all conscripts ...... not sure about that ( but that's OT )

Again, the memorial is to those who fought with a different army, ie not the British.

Wow I had no idea that the Munster Fusiliers were the successor's of the East India Company's private army !
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    Burma and Killarney outside the East Ave.
    http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.org/b2kilar1.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Again, the memorial is to those who fought with a different army, ie not the British.

Ok, now I understand ....... Try the US Army in Korea

http://www.illyria.com/irish/kor_canty.html

Never seen it myself

Where in Kerry will you find a monument to the co-founder of Rolls Royce?

Spot on, but where is the memorial ?

The other famous poster that the Kitchenerimage was the basis for was this uncle Sam one.

445px-Unclesamwantyou.jpg
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    Ok, now I understand ....... Try the US Army in Korea

http://www.illyria.com/irish/kor_canty.html

Never seen it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

JonathonS wrote: »
    Where in Kerry will you find a monument to the co-founder of Rolls Royce?
    Is this anything to do with the Ballyfinane hillclimb of 1903?

You're getting hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

JonathonS wrote: »
    You're getting hotter.
    I thought as much, Charles Rolls won the event which was held on July 15th 1903, and the Monument commerating the Ballyfinane Hill climb was unveiled by the Kingdom Veteran Vintage and Classic car club on the 20th July 2003.

So......where is the monument?

If I told you that a google of kerry+the conflict would reveal the answer. Figuring out the the army should be easy, look at the Kitchener image that is very similar to another '____ needs you' conscription poster, possibly more well known than the Kitchener original.

Got the poster, but can't get the conflict, every time I google Kerry plus conflict it brings up John Kerry's military history!

Presume it's one of the American Civil War, WWI or WWII, Korea or Vietnam.

See Davidth88 answer
    "Ok, now I understand ....... Try the US Army in Korea"

Still didn't say where the memorial was tho'

Got the poster, but can't get the conflict, every time I google Kerry plus conflict it brings up John Kerry's military history!

Presume it's one of the American Civil War, WWI or WWII, Korea or Vietnam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Aphex Tim

Advertisement