Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How well do you know Kerry?

Options
2»

Comments

Aha, good one.

And 10/10 for the name "Aphex Tim"...even if he was born in Limerick not Kerry!

Okay, an easy and less easy one about Kerry night life. Name the night clubs that were in the following venues in the 90s...

The Brandon, Tralee
    The Goat Inn, Killorglin

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Way hey,

Lixnaw is correct, I love the bit on wikipedia about it
    Due to the intricate layout of Lixnaw village, this memorial has proven to be very difficult to find, even for the locals.
    Aphex Tim wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The Brandon, Tralee

Spirals... Lotsa fun had in there lol!

Spirals... Lotsa fun had in there lol!

Yep, trying to think which was ladies free in night, for bonus points!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

kingdumb wrote: »
    See Davidth88 answer
    "Ok, now I understand ....... Try the US Army in Korea"

Still didn't say where the memorial was tho'

Hi

the grave I saw on that site was/ in in Lixnaw , however there seem to be two or three guys buried in Kerry who died in that conflict.

Wikipedia mentions that there is a memorial there , next time I am in North kerry Ill take a peek ......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Aphex Tim

Yep, trying to think which was ladies free in night, for bonus points!

Wednesday night.

spirals.jpg

Club Ibex in Killorglin ?

Aphex Tim wrote: »
    Wednesday night.

spirals.jpg

Club Ibex in Killorglin ?

Wednesday sounds right, wasn't sure myself, Ibex definitely right, thought it was a great name for a club attached to a pub called the Goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Wednesday sounds right, wasn't sure myself, Ibex definitely right, thought it was a great name for a club attached to a pub called the Goat.

Especially in Puck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Club Ibex! I like that:)

Where in Kerry is Seven Bells Hole?

• Advertisement

Hands up, that's got me.

I thought I knew Kerry till I put up this thread..

OK a clue! Mr Google will get you this far.
    from the Carlow Sentinel SATURDAY, OCTOBER 10, 1846

The Killarney Sessions presented for works to the amount of 50,000l., and the Kenmare sessions to the amount of 30,000l.

The Agricultural Gazette says that Indian corn is the best food for horses.

The Derby Mercury contains an advertisement for an innkeeper for "a thorough vege: table cook."

At the Presentment Sessions for Galway the amount applied for was 22,800l.; 1,500l. was passed for the erection of markets; 1,000l. for a new cemetery, and 5,000l. for improving the sewerage of the town.

The Extraordinary Sessions for the city of Kilkenny presented to the amount of 8,630l. Of this, 3,000l. for purchase of a site, and laying out of a public cemetery, and 3,000l. for purchasing meal, to be sold at 20 per cent. under cost to the poor.

Aquatic birds, in great numbers, are observed at this early season on the marshes of the Low Countries, a circumstance which is regarded as prognosticating a severe winter.

At Tralee Extraordinary Sessions a presentment passed for the new market near the Canal: for a new road from Strand-street to the basin; for widening and quaying the basin of the Canal; for building a quay wall by the Canal to Blennerville; for arching the canal; for conveying water by pipes from the Seven Bell Hole for the supply of Tralee. Works to the amount of £65,000 were granter.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

from the Carlow Sentinel SATURDAY, OCTOBER 10, 1846............At Tralee Extraordinary Sessions a presentment passed for the new market near the Canal: for a new road from Strand-street to the basin; for widening and quaying the basin of the Canal; for building a quay wall by the Canal to Blennerville; for arching the canal; for conveying water by pipes from the Seven Bell Hole for the supply of Tralee. Works to the amount of £65,000 were granted.

http://www.focuskerry.com/james/canal.html

http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/waterways-of-cork-and-kerry/tralee-ship-canal/?blogsub=confirming

Sorry, no further clues in the above (about the location of the Seven Bell Hole) BUT some on here may find this interesting all the same.

Anyone ?

In the Ballyard to Annagh area ?

Its that stretch of the River Lee behind the Carlon Hotel Car Park in Tralee.

A "bell" was a bell shaped meander in a river.

Incidently the papers got it wrong when they reported a boy being saved from the river lee in tralee. He was rescued from the Big River - historically known as the River Gyle. The Lee is a totally seperate river.

The "big river" was owen beg (but the beg morphed into big! so the small river became the big river!)

Advertisement