Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pudding

Options
  • 14-11-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

This Christmas I'm trying to do all my own baking. Christmas cake is prepared, sausage rolls, and mince pies in freezer and now onto the Christmas pudding.

I'm looking at two recipes one by Gordon Ramsay the other by Delia Smith

Whichever one I choose I'd like to make it in advance but I'm not to sure about reheating: an additional steam for about an hour or so seems to be the advice but with so much else going on I'm wondering if the reheat can be carried out in the micro and if so how and what times? I'm assuming that if using a micro it would be portion by portion.

As a by the way what do you think of the Ramsay pudding, certainly doesn't seem to be as heavy, ever tried one like it? But I must admit tradition will probably win out :)

Kevin

update: called into my family butcher today looking for some suet but he told butchers don't keep real suet now and that it can be difficult to get. Came home Googled Delia's Christmas pudding and when I followed her suet link and she said:
    The solid, dense fat that encloses beef kidneys is true suet, and a substance very hard to obtain in its whole form as butchers no longer receive suet intact.
    but she didn't suggest a substitute.

Anyone suggest a substitute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

I made Gordon Ramsay's pudding last week. It's very nice but certainly not a traditional Xmas pud. Also, not too sure that it would reheat well so should be made on the day.
    I microwave my pud (2lb) on Christmas Day to serve with flaming alcohol & the usual trimmings.

Use Atora instead of suet. http://www.atora.co.uk/

You'll need to find a butcher who breaks their beef to get kidney fat. I just two local butchers about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I personnally prefer pudding made with butter not suet.

The problem with suet is that it has a high melting point so it has to be heated up a lot before eating. A quick blast in the micro might leave the suet a bit greasy in texture. That is why you are supposed to steam for at least an hour on the day.

But, as I said, I dont make suet pudding, so someone who has more experience of heating them up might be able to comment more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I make my pudding with Atora vegetable suet (beef suet variety not available since cjd scare) and steam it again for an hour on Christmas Day but after that its just sliced and re-heated in the micro wave and it certainly isnt greasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

I reheat slices on a dry frying pan, really easy & quick, I have a cast iron one.

Sorry for hijacking but.......

I made one today, Darinas traditional recipe, I used rendered pig fat, from my own pigs, beef fat is available from any good butcher.

Can you cook a pudding in on parchment or muslin suspended over steam in a saucepan???

Am cooking tomorrow, its in the kitchen resting overnight

Any opinion welcome

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Askim wrote: »
    I reheat slices on a dry frying pan, really easy & quick, I have a cast iron one.

Sorry for hijacking but.......

I made one today, Darinas traditional recipe, I used rendered pig fat, from my own pigs, beef fat is available from any good butcher.

Can you cook a pudding in on parchment or muslin suspended over steam in a saucepan???

Am cooking tomorrow, its in the kitchen resting overnight

Any opinion welcome

A

I have mine done the week after halloween... I do mine in pottery bowls... covered with greaseproof and tinfoil and steam in a saucepan... my grandmothers recipe and cooking instructions and I am in my 50s. I have never done it the way you are suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Roly-poly pudding is wrapped in muslin and steamed so I don't see why it wouldn't work for a plum pud but I've never come across it.
    Askim wrote: »
    <snip>
    A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My grandmother used to wrap her pudding in muslin and boil it. I've never tasted a pudding as nice since.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Puddings done

They cooked fine, might be a bit greasy, might try less fat next time, one in parchment & muslin cooked fine, had water 1/2 way up it, plastic bowl melted a bit, it was you touching the side of the saucepan.

I cooked the 3 in large saucepan with 3 bits of timber on the bottom & a Pyrex plate on top of the timber,(i really hate the plate tapping away all day)

The muslin one allowed me to fit the 3 in, when it came out i put it in a bowl & lightly pressed it, it took a nice round shape.

Otherwise lookin good

A

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have made two puddings and cake, the cost of currants kills me every year. Any tips on where to get cheaper currants. €2.69 for a small bag in tesco (gem), no own brand stuff. Still have more puddings and mince pies to sort so need cheaper currants. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I always got my dried fruit ingredients from a shop in my hometown that was one of those scoop shops, if you know what I mean! Sell tonnes of stuff in barrels and you scoop out as much as you need. They use to even do a Christmas bundle where they had already measured all the dried fruit, flour, sugar and spices for €10.

They closed down now :( But if you knew of a shop of that type of model near you I'd give it a try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Had to make a nut free pudding for first time, hope it will be ok

559D477B67944AC38E8B72DB6ADD1B04-0000360696-0003093075-00500L-6230FA72D71649DD87C208C3801521A4.jpg

Advertisement