Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfway through a course on BTEA, not sure what to do!

Options
  • 14-11-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, it's more of a hypothetical question to get my ducks in a row, but I just finished second year of college with one subject to repeat. My CA was bad, so Im going to have to go and resit the entire subject in class.

Social Welfare told me once Im going to college under a certain amount of hours, Ill qualify for part-time BTEA to get me through to third year so I can go back onto the full-time benefit. However, the college requires a fee to repeat of 360 euro and I have to pay this in January, before Ive been approved for the part time BTEA.

Basically Im concerned about two things, still not passing my subject and failing again next Summer, or not being able to get the money together in time for January (mature student with a home and bills to pay for and mouths to feed :p )

Is it possible, if one of the above were to happen, that I would be able to reapply through CAO for another course of a higher level (doing level 7 at the minute, no other degrees) and be entitled to receive BTEA weekly again for first and second year, with the government grant to cover my fees (again got the fees part of the grant for first and second year of a level 7)? I'm 25 (think I count as a mature student now, and I dont live at home, so maybe Id need to go about things a different way?)

Any advice would be great, both parties involved (SW and the College) are reluctant to give me out info, and a lot of it is contradictory :P

Advertisement