Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathbeggan lakes trout fishery

Options
  • 14-11-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, im going to rathbeggan lake in a month.i never fished in this lake before.i am looking any tips,flys that work,etc thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Eriesniper wrote: »
    Hi, im going to rathbeggan lake in a month.i never fished in this lake before.i am looking any tips,flys that work,etc thanks
    This time of year I would use lures furry and bright like a orange fritz fished few feet under the surface. Let it sink and figure of 8 retrieve
    Some people have great success with buzzers this time of year aswell
    So bloodworm buzzer would prob be best could be wrong
    The best to ask would be the lad in the cabin I'm sure he'd point you in right direction
    Atb

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I use to fish here a lot always had a good day,last time i went though the place had changed so much,like paddy boats on the main lake like..the place was really let go,emphasis doesnt seem to be on the fishing there anymore,shame really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

I use to fish here a lot always had a good day,last time i went though the place had changed so much,like paddy boats on the main lake like..the place was really let go,emphasis doesnt seem to be on the fishing there anymore,shame really :(
    its a shame.bot i think im going to the competition their having next month, what flies worked the best at this time? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Eriesniper wrote: »
    its a shame.bot i think im going to the competition their having next month, what flies worked the best at this time? thanks

I dont think i ever did much fishing there during the colder months that i can remember,but during the summer small buzzers would regularly do the trick,also as someone already said,no matter what day i was there id always try green and orange frizzy lures,just keep changing but the lures where always worth a good shot here and there. Are you sure the competition is fly only?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

My mate won a December comp their 4/5 years ago on a bloodworm pattern fished deep and slow.

Was a good place a few years ago but went quickly down hill on the fishing side of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement