Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OZ/NZ adventure 2013!

Options
  • 14-11-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm hoping to travel to Oz and New Zealand with another girl (both 25) next summer after we finish our postgraduate courses.
    We aren't very experienced travellers but are pretty level-headed. :p

So I'm just looking for some advice/tips from people.
    Basically we plan to fly into Sydney via Bangkok and travel up the East Coast taking in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, maybe Townsville, Great Barrier Reef and Cairns....then hopefully fly to New Zealand for 2 weeks just to get an experience of the place and back to Melbourne to finish off. This is a verry broad indicator of what we wish to do but just to give a general idea.

How long should we look to go for and also spend in different places?
    Are there some places that are "must-see" and others which could be skipped?
    Spending money is also a question....we would be willing to have a strict budget but also want to have enough for activities?

Sorry if this question has been done to death already but if people could give some general hints/information I would really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

New Zealand is cheaper than Aus, if funds are an issue spend more time in NZ and Thailand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Get a guide book (Lonely Planet or Rough Guide) and have a look through them for things you may want to do. You should be able to come up with a rough budget for activities and accommodation from reading them too.

Another thing to be aware of is the distances you'll be travelling. Sydney to Brisbane is 1000Km and Brisbane to Cairns is 1700Km. Then the flight to and from NZ will be about 4 hours. So on the days you travel you could be just travelling only on those days.

Then there is the temperature as well. It will be cold in Melbourne and New Zealand in the Irish Summer/Oz Winter. I'm not sure what it will be like in Sydney but Brisbane and the further North will be warmer. There is still plenty to do though, you can even do some skiing in NZ then.

You should also be aware the British and Irish Lions, a rugby team made up of players from Ireland, England, Scotland, and Wales, will be touring Australia next June, with their last game on 6th July so there will be an extra influx of tourists around this time. Their fixture list can be found on the link below and I think you should keep it in mind. There will be alot of fun to be had with these tourists but it could/will get busy wherever they are playing.

http://www.lionsrugby.com/fixtures/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

wikitravel is good for up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Glowla

Thanks your replies.
    CatFromHue: I'm very excited to know that the Tour will be on around that time :)

We were wondering as well how much money would we need for say 6-8 weeks of travelling? I know its a very vague question but considering we will be prepared to keep it a fairly strict budget, participate in the must-do activities .... copious amounts of alcohol or crazy partying won't be on the agenda though!
    Just to get a rough estimation from your experiences!

Advertisement