Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow Leopard for 10.4.11?

• 14-11-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have a MacBook Black, 10.4.11. leaving battery life aside, it works perfectly, and it's quite expensive to replace, the only problem is, the new versions of most programmes no longer support Tiger.

I have read that Lion cannot be installed on my machine. Does anyone have an idea about whether I could install Snow Leopard? I bought it around early 2008 but it was prolly one of the last ones sold of that model.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It'll definitely run Snow Leopard and depending on the model it might be able to run Lion as well. What processor does it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

All I remember is it's an intel Core2duo. 1 GB Ram, 160 GB HD. I'll check when I get home and post back here.

Thank you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If it has a C2D then it will run Lion (10.7), but you'll have to upgrade the RAM to 2GB or more first.

Depending on price, it might be better to buy a new one then :( Not sure if I'd invest much in a laptop that is almost a desktop now, as I'm paying my car as well...

Do you think it'd run Snow Leopard?

Of course. Snow Leopard (10.6) is older than Lion (10.7). It won't run Mountain Lion (10.8) though.

Upgrading the RAM won't cost much for a machine that old. 30 euro probably.

You might get a good price if you sold it. People were paying ridiculous money for those black Macbooks at one stage.

• Advertisement

Mmm... you're right, it isn't much, and I could do the replacement thing myself, with the help of my more experienced cousin...

Any other recommendations? Battery's expensive, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Assuming its the MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch Black) model number MA701LL/A, then €32 inc VAT (free shipping from crucial.com) for a 2GB kit from crucial.com or kingston.com should fit the bill.

The problem will be getting legal copies of OS X to upgrade you from where you are to where you need to be.

If you can manage this last part cost-effectively I reckon it's well worth doing.

Battery's super expensive :(

That seems to be the right model. About HD, I live abroad, so I'd have to find a similar option here. I'll see if kingston delivers here.

I would prolly find legal copies to upgrade to Snow Leopard, and then I'd want for the next Lion, it's coming soon, isn't it?

Advertisement