Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC door/panel replacement?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 7:20pm

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone knows anyone who does this? Have a broken window on the front door and needs replacing (apparently the whole door, except the frame has to go as it's all one piece).

Got in touch with a local fella about it and let me down 4 times in a row (though he actually came out and measured the third time).

Anyone know of any one out there that does this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Apart from the glass, is the door itself actually damaged ? Replacing the glass is pretty easy.

Duiske wrote: »
    Apart from the glass, is the door itself actually damaged ? Replacing the glass is pretty easy.

No, just the glass, there are two panes, of which the rear (inside) one is still intact and fine. Front one is ready for the bin, though.

It looks (somewhat) similar to this;

upvc-door.jpg

I was under the impression the whole panel needed to be taken out. That's what the guy said, anyway (and that was the impression i was given, as it looks a bit awkward to change just the glass).

Wouldn't mind getting another person to look at it though. If the fella I'm already talking/talked to hasn't got it done by tomorrow afternoon he's gone. It's been like that a week now, and I'm getting a bit fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Your problem is that the double glazed unit, which is 2 pieces of glass sealed together is broken.
    If there is a leaded panel on one side, the glass company might be able to save it and use it in the new unit. If not, It will be a whole new piece.
    Shouldn't be too expensive judging by the picture that you posted.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

O'Reilly glass replace most types of glass, maybe give them a call. I had a broken window earlier this year it was also a double glazed unit the inside one was broken, they came and measured unit, made me a new one and replaced it a few days later. I think it was around €100, not stained glass though.

http://www.oreillyglass.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shano81

I had to get a pane of glass replaced on a porch recently which would obviously be bigger than what you are looking to be replaces.

The quotes I got were from €320 to €140.

I got a few other quotes which were around 200 euro.

The chap that was by far the cheapest was Gerry mcevoy 0868339352. I’d have no problems recommending him and kept his details for future reference. I’d definitely ask him for a quote at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

The whole door has to be replaced as the glass is sandwiched between the front and rear pvc panels,not a nice feature in these type of doors.
    Id also reccomend gerry mc evoy.

Got it done today. They just broke the seal on the back of the door (inside) around the window, and took the glass out of it. Went off for half an hour and came back with it fixed up. Took about an hour in total (with about 30-40 minutes of that being just waiting for them to come back with the glass).

Cost €40 as the guy knew my dad (so I'm not sure if he gave him a 'mate's rate' or not).

Cheers for all the help though guys. For a few days there it was becoming incredibly frustrating.

Advertisement