Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed bumps in council carpark

Options
  • 14-11-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Did anyone notice the size of the speed bumps in dunnes carpark and marys car park they nearly rip my car aprt going over them iv cracked sideskirts over them allready.

Even going over them as slowly as i can the thud is unreal when i come off them whats the point in them only to damage my car.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Are they after market side skirts or standard fitted by manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

they are genuine trd sideskirts but they dont come out of the factory on the celica toyota made them for styling a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

You will eventually grow out of it.

what ya mean by that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Think it means you wont always be one inch off the ground:D

• Advertisement

I went over it in a irish starlet and corolla and still bangs off the underneath of the car.

Go drive over them and see for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I went over it in a irish starlet and corolla and still bangs off the underneath of the car.

Go drive over them and see for yourself
    irish starlet and corolla? I know we had a Ford factory once but is there a Toyota plant now?

My bad i ment standard corolla or starlet ya see in ireland not modified in any way.

nearest plant would be england so i should have said english toyota starlet and corolla.

So was the Starlet a RWD twincam?

A twincam isint a car the rwd starlet is a kp60 which was made in the late 70s early 80s.

The Toyota Corolla Levin or Toyota Sprinter Trueno made in 1983-1987 is nick named the twincam.

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew a guy once who's ambition was to own a late 80s starlet which he asserted had a twincam model, whatever twincam is?

We had a 80s starlet although it was FWD, great car, some mover for its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

My mint green '03 Hyundai Accent gets me maximum street cred when I go rollin' with my fly homies.

Having said that I usually drive my van at weekends, and even then, only at night, and even then, only in the wicklow mountains.

By the way it's unlikely you'll get a car these days that doesn't even have at least two camshafts. if anyone wants to meet up and talk about it.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gypsy Roman

They are a joke alright,been in 3 different cars going over them and you can feel a drag as middle part of the car goes over them and no matter what speed your doing. No need to have them that big.

Perhaps it's some sort of new ploy to increase new cars sale, a more aggressive variant on the former scrappage scheme.

I wonder if they have to pay for damage caused by them.

What do you do as a hobbie fabbydaddy because every time a car is mentioned your comments are down right disrespectfull towards anyone who has a car with something done to it im 25 not 17 with a ****box and the loudest exhaust i can find.

Every comment i see you just angry and take the piss out of car enthusiasts.

New cars are worse more electronics that engine and more problems toyota had another recall on new cars this month aswell.

Id hate to be an old person going over them with back or hip problems put a disk out of place the shudder ya get at that age

I don't know why you're singling me out, I am poking fun at myself, not at you - other people in the thread are telling you that you'll grow eventually out of it - why not have a go a them!

Anyway, to address your earlier question, there exists no civil engineering specification for speed ramps which is why they come in all shapes and sizes, thus they are constructed according to the whim and fancy of whoever is putting them in, and this is why cars often scrape them.

And to answer your other question, I have many hobbies but they mainly revolve around basking in opulent and decadent surroundings and while enjoying a cigar by the fire, laughing so hard my monocle falls into my glass of brandy.

sorry im a bit pissed off with some of the responses im getting boy racerish crap useless foolish posts thats why i rarely post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I don't know why you're singling me out, I am poking fun at myself, not at you - other people in the thread are telling you that you'll grow eventually out of it - why not have a go a them!

Anyway, to address your earlier question, there exists no civil engineering specification for speed ramps which is why they come in all shapes and sizes, thus they are constructed according to the whim and fancy of whoever is putting them in, and this is why cars often scrape them.

And to answer your other question, I have many hobbies but they mainly revolve around basking in opulent and decadent surroundings and while enjoying a cigar by the fire, laughing so hard my monocle falls into my glass of brandy.

Pipe down Fabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I've have driven over those speed bumps and they are a nightmare, doesnt matter what speed you drive over them at either or what car you have .

p.s seen a gorgeous Supra around town ;)

ft9 wrote: »
    Pipe down Fabby!

You're off my Christmas card list anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I drive an old Corolla and every time I go over them I hold my breath in case I leave the back box of the exhaust behind. I wonder whose great idea they were. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Spare a thought for the local Paramedics working with the Ambulance Service, or Gardai and Fire Service.......speed ramps must be a nightmare......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Did anyone notice the size of the speed bumps in dunnes carpark and marys car park they nearly rip my car aprt going over them iv cracked sideskirts over them allready.

Even going over them as slowly as i can the thud is unreal when i come off them whats the point in them only to damage my car.

was in marys car park yesterday, didnt hit the ramps with my car but they are severe. i reckon they're there to stop people speeding out on the back bumper of the car in front without paying.

Advertisement