Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a Song that Defines Rock and Roll for You.

Options
  • 14-11-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Like the title of the thread says, pick a song that for you, is the essence and spirit of Rock. Like when you listen to the song, you'll say with a fist-pump "Now, that's Rock and Roll!".

And please connect your selection to Youtube, so that those who may not know the song, may now have a chance to listen and agree with you. And also follow the format, [Artist] - [Song Name] - [Album Name] in BOLD. Youtube and a small description at the bottom.

The Doors - LA Woman - LA Woman

-The Quintessential Rock and Roll Song. Nothing gets my motor running, more that this song. From Manzarek's playful melodies, Kreiger's seductive lead, Densmore's blood-pumping beats, to Jim's (The MOJO Man!) powerful vocals. Just perfect in every way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The start of this song still, even after hearing it a million times, makes the hairs on the back of my nut sack stand on edge...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

This riiff was the sound of the 70s and 80s and represents those years to me and coming from the greatest band ever.Watching Page and Plant strut their stuff still sends shiver down my spine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Controversial choice here. This is the first 'rock' video the young Where To sat up and took notice of. It's got to me number one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

For me, this song defines rock for me - catchy enough tune, innuendo-laden lyrics, tongues firmly placed in cheek. Admittedly, a rather obscure one I stumbled upon during a trawl of YouTube. Possibly swaying more towards glam rock, but was glam rock around in 1974? I dunno.

Bonus points for recognising the lead singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

This does it for me....Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Pearl Jam - Even Flow

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think this song just sums up the 60's for me. It starts with just a beating guitar and harmonised vocalising with the odd bit of noodling guitar interspersed, then breaks into a full on psychadelic epic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

This reminds me of one of my favourite TV shows "Supernatural" which has a great classic rock soundtrack. Also in An Brog in Cork, a great way to end a night :D A quick mention to: Kansas - Carry on my Wayward Son".

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this is the definition of rock and roll to me

scraggy guitar, simply but powerful defiant lyrics, psychedelia, screaming vocals.....
    from a band whos stories are full of drugs, fights with the law, outlandish drinking, excess in everything they did, psychotic breakdowns, redemption....

pure class !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

13th Floor Elevators are great. Although I prefer Splash 1 to your song.

This song doesn't really define rock to me, to me it's really the first signs of what was to come. Looking back on things anyway, because I really don't know how much of an influence this band actually had.

While The Beatles were writing songs about how much the loved you, and how much you should love them, these guys wrote a song called, "I Hate You" with lyrics about how they hate you. Someone not clued into the period could easily place their sound in with most of the rest of the the bands of the era, in reality it was a whole different group to standard pop of the time. And so, in saying "I Hate You" they held up two fingers to the established "rock" scene. And I think that is far more rock and roll than anything else.

And fcuking hell, does that riff just punch you right in the guy from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Some real great mentions here, some I've just heard here for the first time. Special kudos to Tom Dunne. I really like Raspberry's Go All the Way. Great piece of music and thanks for sharing it with us.

Soundgarden - My Wave - SuperUnknown

From one of my all-time favorite bands. Everytime I hear this song, I either headbang unconsciously, tap my fingers, stomp my feet or do all together. Simply powerful and infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eddee

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The biggest "cult band" in Rock have recently been getting the recognition they deserve.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Advertisement