Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS help!

Options
  • 14-11-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

I created a website with weebly, but bought a domain from register365.
    I'm trying to change the DNS to point to the weebly site.
    Does anyone know how I do this?
    I am at my wits end! I'm a complete noob when it comes to DNS stuff. Do I have to put in www.mywebsite.weebly.com on the register365 control panel?
    The weebly help page is http://kb.weebly.com/domain-registrar.html

All help is most graciously appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ask Register365 Support for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭maxmarmalade

Create a DNS A record in register 365 panel and point it towards the IP where your site is being hosted

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Les56

Create a DNS A record in register 365 panel and point it towards the IP where your site is being hosted

Hi Maxmaralade,
    I have done this, but not sure if I have done it right! :eek:
    I created the A records and added the required IP, but do I have to put in the sub-domain that I have with weebly? ie; mywebsite.weebly.com or do I just point it to the IP and that's it, job done?
    :confused:

Hi Daymobrew,

I did indeed ask them, but they just sent me a load of gibberish, well it may as well have been! :)
    It's just confussing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Les56 wrote: »
    I did indeed ask them, but they just sent me a load of gibberish, well it may as well have been! :)
    It's just confussing me!
    You could tell them that and ask them to make the changes, giving the weebly page link to help them.
    Les56 wrote: »
    I have done this, but not sure if I have done it right! :eek:
    I created the A records and added the required IP, but do I have to put in the sub-domain that I have with weebly? ie; mywebsite.weebly.com or do I just point it to the IP and that's it, job done?
    Post a screenshot of the control panel page after you made the changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'd recommend creating a CNAME instead of an A record, and pointing it to the original domain name. That way if the IP address of the server ever changes, your new domain name will be updated automatically along with the original A record.

daymobrew wrote: »
    You could tell them that and ask them to make the changes, giving the weebly page link to help them.
    Post a screenshot of the control panel page after you made the changes.

I asked them to change it, and they just sent me a generic help message.

I've attached a screenshot, hopefully it'll help. :) Thanks again!

FruitLover wrote: »
    I'd recommend creating a CNAME instead of an A record, and pointing it to the original domain name. That way if the IP address of the server ever changes, your new domain name will be updated automatically along with the original A record.

Hi Fruitlover,

Can you point it out how I do this with the screenshot?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

login to register 365
    on the left hand side click dns administration
    then click add/modify zone(s)
    you should see a list of options centre page...

in the A,CNAME ETC section.....

in host name box type www
    in the type box make sure 'A' is selected
    in the result box type the weebly I.P. - 199.34.228.100
    click save

now go back to weebly control panel to change the site address to your new website address

http://kb.weebly.com/faq-site-address.html

allow a couple of hours for it to kick in

should work

Hi stateofflux,

Just made the changes there, thanks for the detailed instructions!!
    I was about to go postal on my laptop! :)

Thanks again!! I'll check back in when it works!

• Advertisement

I have made the changes to weebly, and got the message saying that the name I am trying to use is already in use?

Just sent a message to weebly support, so hopefully they can help! If anyone has any ideas though, I'm happy to try it out!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

its probably to do with having 2 'A' records...delete the default 365 one via the control panel.

its probably to do with having 2 'A' records...delete the default 365 one via the control panel.

I've attached another screenshot, is this right?

Thanks again for your help!

Got it sorted! Thanks for the help ya'll!

Advertisement