Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micksgarage.ie item arrived damaged

Options
  • 14-11-2012 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

My order from micksgarage.ie arrives today with 2 items damaged and unusable :( Just checked their website and according to them, the condition of the things in the package should be checked BEFORE signing for the delivery..... Are they for real???? I'm a post woman and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I allow anyone to open a parcel/package/letter BEFORE signing for it. I mean, it's a sealed box with a name and address written on the front of it, not a vanload of stationary or something that can be checked without tearing the exterior apart :mad: Has anyone had any dealings with them regarding returns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I don't mean to be smart, but as a post woman, you should know that a customer has the right (and should exercise that right) to examine the delivery before signing for it. Most places I buy from have the same advice to check before signing. If you don't have time to check a delivery, or the intended recipient is not present, the delivery should be signed with "unchecked" on the docket. I know it seems unpractical, but items are often destroyed in transit. Only today, I received an email from a company I bought a DVD boxset from. The delivery is almost 2 weeks late and the sender just told me the box arrived back to them today, crushed. I had it sent to Parcel Motel up north to avail of free UK delivery, but they must have rejected the item and returned it, because the packaging was damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've never accepted an item from a delivery person (An Post/courier or whatever) without checking the contents and there was never a problem. I presumed that was the done thing since the days of the P+T vans.

Not sure cos I never needed to check but I think the MicksGarage guy might be on Boards somewhere. I think he was contacted via here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

My experience with Mick's Garage was that they have excellent customer service (yes, really - excellent) when it comes to returns.

I'd start out by contacting them before tying yourself in knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

A 'check before delivery' t&c doesn't negate your statutory rights. Contact the company first. Any advice/warnings/anecdotes you get before then probably won't be that useful.*

*(though I will say I've never felt a need to check before delivery in almost 15 year of online shopping, while some people swear by it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

goz83 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be smart, but as a post woman, you should know that a customer has the right (and should exercise that right) to examine the delivery before signing for it. Most places I buy from have the same advice to check before signing. If you don't have time to check a delivery, or the intended recipient is not present, the delivery should be signed with "unchecked" on the docket

Actually, you are not allowed to open a package from An Post before signing for it. You can sign it as unchecked but because An Post are a third party operating between the vendor and the customer, a package cannot be opened at the point of delivery unless it has been accepted and owned for by the customer. It would be a different story micksgarage had their own delivery team but once you stick a name and address on something and post it, it legally becomes the property of the addressee and cannot be tampered with until the addressee has claimed ownership of it.

Anyway, I rang them and after a bit of arguing they agreed to replace the damaged items. I just thought that their policy was a bit strange :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement